Good civilization building game

Sign in to follow this  

Im looking for a game where you build a civilization, and/or city, and can control almost everything. Everything from taxes to military. Ive heard civilization 5 might be good, though Ive also heard that civ 4 is better. Simcity is not really what im looking for. Ive heard so many different suggestions from friends and other sources, I am confused, so I decided to check with the only people I can trust with stuff like this: all the wonderful people at accursed farms! :)

"Life sucks sober!"

Age of Empires is a lot like Civ but real time, not turn-based

"That which you do not know, is not a moral charge against you; but that which you refuse to know, is an account of infamy growing in your soul. Make every allowance for errors of knowledge; do not forgive or accept any breach of morality."

Which one's the best? The third one? Thanks for reply!

"Life sucks sober!"

Which one's the best? The third one? Thanks for reply!

AOE 2 is the best to me. They're way smaller scale than Civ though, it's more like building a city than a civilization.

The best civilization builder I've played would have to be Civ 4. Civ 5 felt more realistic in some ways but also a lot less realistic in other and overall felt like you were in control of an island rather than a massive empire. AoE isn't really building a civilization or city as it would at best be a martial law controlled city state with magical people that appear when you sacrifice enough food, gold and wood.

I had a lot of fun playing around on a friend's copy of From Dust the other day, destroyed the whole world in seconds with LAVA!!!11!! and angered Poseidon and flooded everything, all to stop villagers from complaining about animals attacking from the woods. No woods, no problem, or villagers, or village, or island.....

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

"That which you do not know, is not a moral charge against you; but that which you refuse to know, is an account of infamy growing in your soul. Make every allowance for errors of knowledge; do not forgive or accept any breach of morality."

Yeah, but that game has shitty graphics and is in terrible need of a save system, tutorial is incredibly long and not very good also.

No one suggested Rome: Total War?

I am dissapoint.

The future of gaming lies in realistic simulations of extraordinary realities

"I am drunk, you dont have an excuse"

No one suggested Rome: Total War?

I am dissapoint.

Just what I was thinking, but you don't really found cities, and progression through technology is limited to a couple hundred years. Going from Hastati to Urban Cohorts is only drastically different if you're familiar with ancient history.

I prefer Medieval 2: Total War

It works in the same way as Civilization in a lot of respects, but the settlements are fixed. However, the mechanics are a lot slicker and more fun, in my opinion; the game is a bit of a marathon, but the pay off is way better than civ.

What you're thinking of is Grand Strategy, and that's something you'll get from Paradox Games.

Europa Universalis III is a good start. You can play as just about any country in the world, starting from whenever the Hundred Years' War ended, and ending around 1789. Basically building a nation from scratch. Conquer Portugal as Spain, take the Teutonic Order from a Baltic state to a unified German superpower. The Victoria series is also good, but that takes place more around the Industrial Age, and focuses on economics and colonization more so than wars between European powers.

"I aim for the stars, but sometimes I hit London." - Wernher von Braun

What you're thinking of is Grand Strategy, and that's something you'll get from Paradox Games.

Europa Universalis III is a good start. You can play as just about any country in the world, starting from whenever the Hundred Years' War ended, and ending around 1789. Basically building a nation from scratch. Conquer Portugal as Spain, take the Teutonic Order from a Baltic state to a unified German superpower. The Victoria series is also good, but that takes place more around the Industrial Age, and focuses on economics and colonization more so than wars between European powers.

Alright thanks, Ill check Europa Universalis out then!

"Life sucks sober!"

http://www.paradoxian.org/eu3wiki/Main_Page

This should get ya started. Don't be discouraged - this shit is hard and you WILL get your ass kicked at first. Try playing as Portugal (colonizing the new world instead of fighting against other European nations), France (pretty much the most powerful nation in the game) or England (strong, yet isolated) to start with.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

"I aim for the stars, but sometimes I hit London." - Wernher von Braun

Stronghold 2

Great fun for me. There's something kinda like a free play mode where you can build a massive kingdom.

They call me Snake. They call me Es Rake. They call me Srahkay. That's nahmaname. That's nahmaname. That's not my... name.