Lockers

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2365

"Thread locked due to lack of interest."

What kind of reason is that to lock this person's thread? It's gathered more interest than many of the other threads in that section. Someone's on a romantic little power trip with this kind of whimsical and pointless arbitrary mod action.

I'm not necessarily complaining, it just struck me unexpectedly when I reached the bottom of the page. Partly a needless inconvenience, but also partly an interesting example of human behaviour, which made me ponder, and put a little amused smile on my mind's face.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

My Little Pointy: Friendship Is Stabbing - http://i.imgur.com/Qz1bx.jpg

It wasn't meant to be any power trip. I locked it simply because people started derailing it and I feel it was turning into a spam topic, which is what we're supposed to prevent. It also felt like there just was nothing more to be said. As Pinkie Pie put it: "I guess the thread is over now". I completely understand your reaction however and I apologize if it felt offensive, which was not the intention at all.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

Not even half the posts were on topic and the OP himself didn't even try to bring it back. Then when the mods brought it back on topic no one posted. The last thing we need is another random thread taking up space at the top of the list of active topics. If someone wants to make another thread about the same, or a similar thing, there's nothing preventing them from making another thread and keeping it on topic.

While this wasn't the holy grail of topics, in general I would advise moderators to give out warnings when people intentionally derail topics that the OP is interested in. If it keeps it up, they can give bans, I see this as sort of a different way of spamming the forum. Locking threads punishes the original poster more than the offenders. Take in mind, this doesn't apply to naturally formed side topics that get their own discussion. Here's an example off the fly:

Person 1: Where does Half-Life take place?

Person 2: New Mexico

Person 3: Um, what is this?

I would advise giving person 3 a warning, then a ban if they keep up similar threads. On the other hand, I think this thread could keep going:

Person 1: Where does Half-Life take place?

Person 2: New Mexico

Person 3: NM is so hot, FM is right, you couldn't just walk out of the desert there, you would die.

Person 4: You could maybe find cactus fruit to survive.

Person 5: You would need a lot of cactus fruit to make up for dehydration.

This topic is technically derailed, but it's from a related side-topic, so moderators don't need to be overly militant about that sort of thing.

I'd make some suggestions about actions that could be taken but I don't think I'm really in the position to say how the forum should be ran.

You can always do a 3 strike system for minor infractions, followed by a suspension, and if they keep that up after their suspension expires, THEN issue the ban. But that's more personal preference. I'll let the mods do what they think works.

Retired Forum Moderator

Personally, I just try to use common sense. :)

Generally this forum is nice and relaxed. :D

Feel free to PM me about almost anything and I'll do my best to answer. :)

"Beware of what you ask for, for it may come to pass..."