Playstation "Orbis" announcement.

If true.

1. Bullshit.

2. I can sympathize.

3. The internet age is upon us, so may as well try and speed up the process a little.

I love you, yet can't stand to know you exist.

1. Bullshit.

I get this though, if they're changing from cell tech then it's going to be hard to emulate it.

2. I can sympathize.

Sympathizing with corporations is a surefire way to get all of your consumer rights taken from you.

3. The internet age is upon us, so may as well try and speed up the process a little.

The problem I have with this is that my PS3 is the most unreliable piece of tech I've ever used when it comes to connecting to my wi-fi (apart from my Acer tablet, which wont connect at all for some reason).

No backwards compability is no big issue for me. I mean, most people who'll buy the PS4 (yep) probably already owns a PS3 and probably a PS2 as well. And PS2's are dirt cheap anyway.

Locking games to accounts I don't mind either. Steam and Origin does this with great success and as far as I'm concerned, it's no big issue for me as long as my account doesn't get inexplicably cancelled.

Forced online connection can be an issue for some people, I suppose, but most people today have a stable internet connection anyway, so again, not really a big issue.

I am not really planning on getting any new console though. I am primarily a PC gamer and I still haven't explored the whole Wii/GameCube library yet so... even if I might be lagging behind a bit on the console front, I really don't care much for modern consoles.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

After me owning a (barely functional) ps3, there is no way that Im buying this.

Besides, the last good consoles: Gamecube, Playstation 2 and the Gameboy advance.

Fuck new consoles, I either play PC or a FUN ps2/gc game (yes, there was a time when realism wasnt everything, and it kicked so much ass.)

"Life sucks sober!"

No backwards compability is no big issue for me. I mean, most people who'll buy the PS4 (yep) probably already owns a PS3 and probably a PS2 as well. And PS2's are dirt cheap anyway.

Actually, from personal experience, most people will sell their PS3s to get some money to go towards the new console.

Actually, from personal experience, most people will sell their PS3s to get some money to go towards the new console.

Yeah, that's true. But as I stated, I'm not much of a console person, aside from Nintendo Wii.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

I can all but guarantee this is untrue, but in the interests of speculation, here are my opinions:

Used Games: I'd like to be outraged like everyone else seems to on the internet, but it's just not a big issue for me. I think the last time I bought a used game was more than a year ago, and it was actually a PS2 game.

Linking games to accounts: The details of this sound nice for the most part. It will apparently allow the player to download the entirety of a retail disc to the PS4, in case they lose it. That sounds nice to me. Once again, the implications for used games here isn't really a big issue to me.

Required internet connection(?): I don't think this is what people are making it out to be. From the rumors I've read on the site linked for example, it basically says that the PS4 needs to log in and link to the PSN account every time you put in a new game. It doesn't mean the PS4 needs to have a constant connection, or that it's even needed to log in every time you play.

Graphical Power: The extreme resolution capabilities sound excellent. Really though, I'd prefer if the system output high quality anti-aliased 1080p, instead of ultra-hd resolutions. I'm sure that will be an option though, if it can really achieve the former.

I can all but guarantee this is untrue

Any particular reason?

Required internet connection(?)

As I said, my PS3 was terrible when it came to the internet. If I was still a console player this would mean a no-buy.

the implications for used games here isn't really a big issue to me.

Even when I did play on console I never bought used copies, but this is very bad for everyone. I believe that retail prices are going to spike so that the retailers can make a profit, seeing as almost all of their money comes from used sales. And because of this PC prices are going to rise as well, because it will have become acceptable to sell games at that price.

Just look at what Zenimax and Activision do to PC prices if you don't believe me.

First of all no news has been "announced". This is a RUMOR from Kotaku from a "reliable source", nothing else. So for all we know, nothing of what you just listed will be in the PS4/Orbis whatever.

And why this "CORPORATIONS ARE EVIL" attitude? I have no problem with them locking out used sales. The developers get nothing from it yet the costumer gets a nearly identical product as he would get from buying the game new(it is Digital so all that may be different is that the CD may be scratched. Which, unless done to a stupid degree at which point the retailer shouldn't even be able to sell it, doesn't make a big difference). Sure Publishers may rise the price of retail copies but all that is going to do is drive more people to Digital Distribution. With services like Steam, Origin, Gamefly, Gamersgate, GOG or even Amazon it is a no-brainer to buy PC games online unless you have a really really bad internet connection. And consoles are slowly turning to the way of Digital Distribution as well. Gaming is going to Digital Distribution as a main way of selling games anyway, increasing prices of retail copies would only make it do so faster.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

http://kotaku.com/5896996/the-next-playstation-is-called-orbis-sources-say-here-are-the-details

First news of the new Playstation console (codename: Orbis) has been announced.

No backwards compatibility, locking games to accounts (to prevent used game sales) and forced online connections seems to be the most worrying aspects of this new console.

Thoughts?

Orbis? Sounds like some sort of portal character... Makes me think the console will be spherical.

Alright, so I'm alittle outdated because I don't have a PS3 (couldn't afford it early on, and then just never really got one), but I was big on the PS2.

I think the trend now is gonna be your not gonna be able to use your old game disks, and you'll probably have to rebuy most games on an online store (similar to Nintendo's approach). What'd I wish is we'd get major discounts for already owning the games, I don't mind paying a smaller fee.

Locking games to accounts, not sure how I feel about that. So does that mean I won't be able to garage/yard sale my games I don't wanna play anymore?

Forced Online connection, I think most of us here don't have a problem with this because lets face it we're kind of a biased community (Accursed Farms consists of mainly online game players who consitently have access to internet connection), and I don't think we'll here much ranting from the otherside, they don't have good internet connections and probably won't communicate very well their displeasure.. Me personally on this issue, I kind of meh about it. I might post again with a better response to this issue.

"Alyxx Thorne: Batman/10"

"HLPrincess: Also, I'm very proud we have Batman Himself on the Forum."

I can all but guarantee this is untrue

Any particular reason?

Sony has said many times that it doesn't intend to compete immediately with Nintendo and Microsoft in the next generation, and is still aiming for a 10 year life cycle for the PS3.

Required internet connection(?)

As I said, my PS3 was terrible when it came to the internet. If I was still a console player this would mean a no-buy.

Did you read what I said? I'm saying that it sounds like you'd only need to log on once when you register a new retail copy. If you seriously can't handle logging onto your new system at all then perhaps consider upgrading your connection. If it's an issue of having a PSN account, they're free and they don't require a credit card.

Anyway, forcing you to be online when you get a new game is no different that something like Steam.

the implications for used games here isn't really a big issue to me.

Even when I did play on console I never bought used copies, but this is very bad for everyone. I believe that retail prices are going to spike so that the retailers can make a profit, seeing as almost all of their money comes from used sales. And because of this PC prices are going to rise as well, because it will have become acceptable to sell games at that price.

Just look at what Zenimax and Activision do to PC prices if you don't believe me.

Game stores can't afford to do that. The idea of a widespread downturn in specialized game stores will result in a stalemate. A store like Gamestop couldn't simply increase retail prices, because then consumers would go to the stores which hadn't (ie: The stores which never stocked used games in the first place, or stores like Walmart or Amazon which are big enough to take the hit to profits.) I think what this story ends in is not widespread increased prices, but the death of the specialized game store, and to be honest I'm fine with that.

"CORPORATIONS ARE EVIL"

Point out where I said that please. Just because I don't want people to give up their consumer rights doesn't mean I hate corporations, I think you need a better understanding of capitalism.

If you seriously can't handle logging onto your new system at all then perhaps consider upgrading your connection

My connection is fine, it's a problem with PSN. Even with ethernet plugged in it still fails.

If I change the MTU it occasionally connects but it's still incredibly dodgy.

Sony has said many times that it doesn't intend to compete immediately with Nintendo and Microsoft in the next generation, and is still aiming for a 10 year life cycle for the PS3.

Sony said that the PS2 had a 10 year life cycle, but the PS3 was released 6 years after the PS2. All that a "10 year life cycle" means is that they'll support the platform for 10 years after release.

Anyway, forcing you to be online when you get a new game is no different that something like Steam.

Except my PC actually works and I have the choice to buy from different stores, not just Steam.

First of all no news has been "announced". This is a RUMOR from Kotaku from a "reliable source", nothing else. So for all we know, nothing of what you just listed will be in the PS4/Orbis whatever.

That's why I never said official announcement.

Sure Publishers may rise the price of retail copies but all that is going to do is drive more people to Digital Distribution. With services like Steam, Origin, Gamefly, Gamersgate, GOG or even Amazon it is a no-brainer to buy PC games online unless you have a really really bad internet connection. And consoles are slowly turning to the way of Digital Distribution as well. Gaming is going to Digital Distribution as a main way of selling games anyway, increasing prices of retail copies would only make it do so faster.

Wrong. Consoles are the biggest gaming market and their markets are controlled entirely by Microsoft and Sony, this means they can price it at whatever they like. Why would Sony/MS care? They get the same cut of money either way.

That's because of the cut the console maker takes. PC's have no licensing fees because they are an open platform.

Wrong. Consoles are the biggest gaming market and their markets are controlled entirely by Microsoft and Sony, this means they can price it at whatever they like. Why would Sony/MS care? They get the same cut of money either way.

Yes but Microsoft or Sony do not own the right to make consoles. They may own the market now but they are not the only console manufacturers. If they decide to go ape-shit on the prices, other people will see the chance to create a cheaper alternative which consumers will go to if done properly.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If you seriously can't handle logging onto your new system at all then perhaps consider upgrading your connection

My connection is fine, it's a problem with PSN. Even with ethernet plugged in it still fails.

If I change the MTU it occasionally connects but it's still incredibly dodgy.

Seeing as I've got a constant connection to the exact same PSN, I'd say it's not a problem with the PSN. Even my Vita connected over WiFi has a constant connection to PSN.

Seeing as I've got a constant connection to the exact same PSN, I'd say it's not a problem with the PSN. Even my Vita connected over WiFi has a constant connection to PSN.

You're on the EU PSN?

It is most likely a problem related to your router or ISP.

I've changed ISP 3 times and my router 4 times since I've had the PS3.

Yes but Microsoft or Sony do not own the right to make consoles. They may own the market now but they are not the only console manufacturers. If they decide to go ape-shit on the prices, other people will see the chance to create a cheaper alternative which consumers will go to if done properly.

You underestimate the power of fanboys, besides, we already have that. It's called the Wii.