Playstation "Orbis" announcement.

And it outsold both the Xbox and PS3. But that is not what I am talking about. I may underestimate the power of fanboys but I am not overestimating the size of the wallets of fanboys. If prices rise to something unreasonable it will shift and newer cheaper console manufacturers will rise.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And it outsold both the Xbox and PS3. But that is not what I am talking about. I may underestimate the power of fanboys but I am not overestimating the size of the wallets of fanboys. If prices rise to something unreasonable it will shift and newer cheaper console manufacturers will rise.

There's not alot of alternatives unless one of the big game manufacturers decides to switch over to the console market...

"Alyxx Thorne: Batman/10"

"HLPrincess: Also, I'm very proud we have Batman Himself on the Forum."

Just like no one buys games in Australia right? Oh wait, they're actually a huge market.

If we end up with loads of consoles it'll be the 80's all over again, and nobody wants that.

Yeah but Australia is all up side down so I guess my logic doesn't work there.

Anyhow, so you'd rather have 3 major companies rule the Console market?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just look at the clusterfuck that was the 80's, there was something like 10 consoles out. It and Atari almost led to the death of gaming, luckily Nintendo saved it. Maybe with the larger market there is now those consoles could co-exist but I'd far prefer that open platforms were the dominant markets, it promotes so much more competition and it doesn't split the market.

Just look at the clusterfuck that was the 80's, there was something like 10 consoles out. It and Atari almost led to the death of gaming, luckily Nintendo saved it. Maybe with the larger market there is now those consoles could co-exist but I'd far prefer that open platforms were the dominant markets, it promotes so much more competition and it doesn't split the market.

Its a different market now... Its harder to be a newcomer and join in get necessary funding etc. Games are alot more advance then they used to be. I'd like for a 4th competitor atleast, but who knows..

If there was a 4th competitor it'd probably be a console geared more to the kids and general population (something to compete against the Wii U).

While Sony and Microsoft fight for the hardcore gamers.

I've expected Sega to develop a new console for a while, but with their current economy it seems far from a reality.

I've always hoped that Sega would return. The Sega Genesis was a huge part of my childhood, and maybe developers would be forgiving of Sega now that time has passed. But.. It just doesn't seem that way. Sega has sold out to almost everyone developing games for every console, basically giving Nintendo free reign to use their Mascot (Sonic).

Although I don't think it was Sega, but an outside manufacturer that made the console and used the name Sega to hopefully boost sales.

Sega Zone

That locking games to accounts like Steam better be fake. It makes sense for Steam to do it because it's all digital, but there's a market for used games in almost every game store.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Kaweebo/

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones."

VALVE: "Sometimes bugs take more than eighteen years to fix."

That locking games to accounts like Steam better be fake. It makes sense for Steam to do it because it's all digital, but there's a market for used games in almost every game store.

From what I've read of these rumors, it seems like Sony plans to make all PS4 games available digitally, so I don't see what the difference would be. It's almost impossible to walk into a game store and buy used PC games either. The Gamestops I've been to don't even sell any. I don't see how making a console that works the same exact way could be considered worse, while Steam is revered and seen as the pinnacle of the excellent user experience.

If they are, that's different. But if they sell physical copies alongside that, that's gonna be a huge problem.

Well I'd gather that they'd be using a system similar to how the Vita is now operating. All games are available as a digital download, and most are also available as a retail copy. The digital version of any one game has to be available the same week as the retail release, if there is one.

while Steam is revered and seen as the pinnacle of the excellent user experience.

No.

Steam is good but it's in no way the pinnacle of excellence when it comes to user experience. Intrusive DRM, no global price policy, "cannot find Steam", "The servers are too busy to access this game", bad offline mode etc. the list goes on.

Steam is good for its sales and the load of extras that come with it.

while Steam is revered and seen as the pinnacle of the excellent user experience.

No.

Steam is good but it's in no way the pinnacle of excellence when it comes to user experience. Intrusive DRM, no global price policy, "cannot find Steam", "The servers are too busy to access this game", bad offline mode etc. the list goes on.

Steam is good for its sales and the load of extras that come with it.

^^^^^THIS!

Steam is useless 90% of the time, the other 10 being sales.

Offlinemode? Nope, has to connect to servers for some reason.

Start a game? Haha very funny!

Buy a singleplayer game on disc and install from the disc? Nope, download from steam!

The good old days when you would put in a disc, wait 2 hours for install and then play it without problem. Id rather have that then the onlineplatform BS.

"Life sucks sober!"

Buy a singleplayer game on disc and install from the disc? Nope, download from steam!

Well, offline mode didn't work for a while but now it works fine, at least for me. Starting games works fine too.

Oh, and you can actually buy games on discs and install them from the disc, that's how I've bought a lot of Steam games actually.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

Well, offline mode didn't work for a while but now it works fine, at least for me. Starting games works fine too.

Oh, and you can actually buy games on discs and install them from the disc, that's how I've bought a lot of Steam games actually.

Well, installing from Skyrim's disc was almost impossible..

Other games works, but why am I FORCED to register on steam? What if I dont have internet?

"Life sucks sober!"

Starting from offline does not work. Full stop. You have to be online and restart in offline mode.