Playstation "Orbis" announcement.

That I can start Steam in Offline mode, start a singleplayer game and play said singleplayer game all without internet connection.

Disproving:

Starting from offline does not work. Full stop. You have to be online and restart in offline mode.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That I can start Steam in Offline mode, start a singleplayer game and play said singleplayer game all without internet connection.

But you have to be online to be able to start it in offline mode. This is what happens if you try to log in without internet access-

kPltQ.jpg

buZ1f.jpg

So you didn't disprove anything.

Dude, I unplugged my internet cable and THEN started Steam. Now unless I have wifi in my Desktop PC(which I don't), I have still disproven you.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Starting from offline

Starting from offline

Starting from offline

Starting from offline

Did you miss this bit?

START YOUR COMPUTER WITH NO INTERNET ACCESS.

THEN START UP STEAM.

OKAY?

WHY ARE WE USING CAPS?

ALSO:

GQKDp.jpg

ANY OTHER HOOPS YOU WANT ME TO JUMP THROUGH BEFORE YOU ADMIT I HAVE DISPROVEN YOU?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I LEFT TWO IMAGES.

YOU HAVEN'T DISPROVEN ME IF I HAVE PROOF YOU'RE WRONG.

STEP 1: TURN OFF INTERNET ACCESS

STEP 2: RESTART PC

STEP 3: START STEAM

STEP 4: THERE IS NO STEP FOUR BECAUSE IT ISN'T WORKING. OR MAYBE YOU COULD BASH YOUR HEAD AGAINST A WALL AND GO TO SLEEP LIKE I'M ABOUT TO DO.

I LEFT TWO IMAGES.

YOU HAVEN'T DISPROVEN ME IF I HAVE PROOF YOU'RE WRONG.

STEP 1: TURN OFF INTERNET ACCESS

STEP 2: RESTART PC

STEP 3: START STEAM

STEP 4: THERE IS NO STEP FOUR BECAUSE IT ISN'T WORKING. OR MAYBE YOU COULD BASH YOUR HEAD AGAINST A WALL AND GO TO SLEEP LIKE I'M ABOUT TO DO.

YES IT IS THAT IS WHAT I SHOWED YOU IN THE LAST PICTURE, SILLY. NOW HAVE A GOOD SLEEP!

Well, we got a bit sidetracked. Aren't we really talking about the rumor about a new PS?

YES WE ARE, KI..oh sorry.

Yes we are, kind of. We are discussing how whether or not something like Steam would work. Biggest problem being that not everyone with a console has it connected to the internet and this is where the offline mode comes into play.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I DIDN'T.

I WAS ONLINE ON STEAM, SHUT DOWN STEAM, TURNED OFF MY PC, RIPPED THE INTERNET CORD OUT OF THE WALL, MADE COOKIES, BOOTED UP MY PC, TURNED ON STEAM, CLICKED ON THE "START IN OFFLINE MODE" BUTTON THAT WAS PRESENTED TO ME, STEAM LAUNCHED AND I LAUNCHED BIOSHOCK.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Forced Online Connection + Locked games to account. Seems to hint at the fact that Sony may be going digital with games.

I think this maybe a step in the right direction actually. Eliminates the middle man (GameStop, Best Buy, Etc.). We may see cheaper games.

"Alyxx Thorne: Batman/10"

"HLPrincess: Also, I'm very proud we have Batman Himself on the Forum."

We may see cheaper games.

You mean significantly more expensive, right? The middleman is why prices are low.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Eh, PC games will always be the cheaper and better alternative in my opinion, hence why i don't own a PS3.

Agreed.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

We may see cheaper games.

You mean significantly more expensive, right? The middleman is why prices are low.

No, the middleman is why prices on new games are jacked up to $60. With brick and mortar retailers like Gamestop, if a game isn't profitting within two weeks of release, you are fucked if you're the dev/publisher. The publishers have to maximize their profits by selling as many new copies as possible on a high price tag before used copies come in and the retailers absolutely butt fuck them. Or at least they have to for now, until digital distribution becomes the norm. Because there are no copies to produce, as well as digital sales being less "Profit on Day One or bust" and having more an ebb and flow as more people wait for the convenient sale, sale numbers are more...consistent on digital platforms. Without fear of retailers screwing them with absolute refusal to negotiate, publishers would feel a little safer in selling digital games for lower prices on day one.

Well that's how it is on Steam at least, not sure what filter Sony's gonna put on pricing if they go full digital with retail on the side with the Orbis. Sure Steam has/had "$60 on Day One" exceptions like Skyrim and every Call of Duty game, but there's always outliers. Activision are greedy bastards and Bethesda is kind of an oddball.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

I love you, yet can't stand to know you exist.

Plus, Skyrim is TOTALLY worth the money.

I would debate that, but that is not the topic.

I love you, yet can't stand to know you exist.