Is Freeman a smackhead?

Sign in to follow this  

Freeman's interest in drugs has come up a few times now... One drug that he has mentioned in particular is Oxycodone, a controlled drug directly comparable to Heroin in effects (literally) and only available legally by prescription, valued at up to $80 USD per pill.

I don't know the number of hours that he has gone without taking a pill but do you think he'll be going into withdrawal within the remaining time span of the series?

Is he an honest-to-god drug addict?

My Little Pointy: Friendship Is Stabbing - http://i.imgur.com/Qz1bx.jpg

I wouldn't say addict, but he sure enjoys his Oxy.

\m/ (^_^) \m/

Rock on.

O/

/|

/ \ This is Bob. Copy and paste Bob and soon he will take over internetz!

Being shot at in a suit which only has morphine for first aid would probably get you addicted fairly quickly.

"Do not inhale fumes, no matter how good they smell."

Same. If he was a total addict, I don't think he would be working for Black Mesa. Nah, he's just like the doctor who likes his morphine a bit too much.

^ das

"Even if something sounds logical, it doesn't mean it have to be true"

The references to him being on drugs are evident even in the very first episode. When, on the tram, the PA voice talks about the biohazard screenings and missing a scheduled urinalysis being grounds for termination, Gordon groans and says, "Don't remind me." He's clearly apprehensive about the screenings. ;)

So, while I don't believe he's an addict, I think he partakes in a little something something whenever he can get away with it.

He may attempt to force the suit to 'administer medication' when it really isn't necessary then?

"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

"Does my beard intimidate you?"

How many hours has it been in-game since Gordon was last medicated?

They say Oxycodone has a half-life of about 4 hours. Maybe this is what the game was about all along. Get out of the lab and acquire illegal narcotics before your withdrawal signs become apparent to your colleagues and you lose your job.

He may attempt to force the suit to 'administer medication' when it really isn't necessary then?

Who gets to arbitrarily decide when it's "necessary" or not, and who exactly put them in charge?

My Little Pointy: Friendship Is Stabbing - http://i.imgur.com/Qz1bx.jpg

In one episode he said he got high off of.. something a while back. Foggy on the details. <.>

So I'm thinking it's likely.

EDIT: In episode 32, he was talking about how he would show up piss-drunk to class, and how he could get high off of animal tranquilizers.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

“Follow my advice and you’ll die just like me! Huh-HYUK!”

-Gordon Freeman

Only drug I can remember Freeman ingesting was caffeine. "Blrbrlblrrlblrrrlblrllaaah. Coffeecoffeecoffee. Coffee! Not as strong as methamphetamines but at least it doesn't stain your teeth." He remarks about others, but, unless I'm mistaken, there's no on-screen drug-taking otherwise.

well he does try to see if he can get off on the crossbow tranq drugs before the cage falls and I recall him using a med station somewhere in the series

"That which you do not know, is not a moral charge against you; but that which you refuse to know, is an account of infamy growing in your soul. Make every allowance for errors of knowledge; do not forgive or accept any breach of morality."

Freeman seems to be a man who rather enjoys his drugs, but is apparently not so addicted that he breaks down into a bumbling wreck if he doesn't have them.

Or...Maybe he is, and that's why he's going mad?

*Insert Conspiracy Keanu*

"I aim for the stars, but sometimes I hit London." - Wernher von Braun

Maybe Ross is trying to write out the part about the suit administering morphine because 1) He found the 'mute' button in episode one as a way to maybe remove it from the story and 2) Does it really make that much sense? What am I saying? OF COURSE it makes sense in a James Bond villain company!!

"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

"Does my beard intimidate you?"

Well unlike the game, Ross is making it so the suit just deflects and ricochets the bullets off of him, really probably only bruising his body inside. He hasn't been hurt enough for the suit to administer morphine. Also, the mute feature seems plausible, actually. I mean why not? Besides, it doesn't make sense for the suit to keep giving status reports on the PERCENTAGE of how alive you are. (because you can put a percent on that, apparently)

It makes sense in the game where the lives of you and everyone around you depends on how many hitpoints you have, but in FM Ross is trying to add SOME sense of realism to it.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Kaweebo/

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones."

VALVE: "Sometimes bugs take more than eighteen years to fix."

Only drug I can remember Freeman ingesting was caffeine. "Blrbrlblrrlblrrrlblrllaaah. Coffeecoffeecoffee. Coffee! Not as strong as methamphetamines but at least it doesn't stain your teeth." He remarks about others, but, unless I'm mistaken, there's no on-screen drug-taking otherwise.

Freeman actually said "but it lets you keep your teeth" reffering to the fact that methamphetamine addicts are often toothless or have very worn away and rotted teeth.

So Gordon is the Dr. House of videogames?

He just kept talking and talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic so that no one had a chance to interrupt it was really quite hypnotic...