THE TRENCH: 1916

Sign in to follow this  

Now, I'm a big history buff, especially stuff relating to World War One. It's nice to see game designers create a game someone like me would enjoy and explore new territory in the FPS genre.

rQ9nwHTeRG8

You play as a French soldier sent to the Verdun front 3 days before the battle. It will have RPG elements, as you are tasked with troop placement and the planning and execution of trench raids and artillery strikes. There will be a selection of weapons, such as the Lebel rifle, Chauchat machine gun and the Stielhandgranate. Like in WW1 Source, you have to manually operate the bolt of your rifle. The dynamic environment will become deformed over time from bombings and the weather. Though it's still in its alpha stage, THE TRENCH looks promising.

http://www.thetrench1916.com/

I don't like writer's block, I prefer to call it writer's parry.

Finally! Someone makes a solid ww1 game! Why doesnt more developers get in on the ww1 front? There is barely any games thats about ww1. I will be keeping an eye on this one, thanks for sharing it! :)

"Life sucks sober!"

Finally! Someone makes a solid ww1 game! Why doesnt more developers get in on the ww1 front? There is barely any games thats about ww1. I will be keeping an eye on this one, thanks for sharing it! :)

Because sitting in a trench for days before charging at enemy gunfire and dying doesn't lend itself well to games.

Because sitting in a trench for days before charging at enemy gunfire and dying doesn't lend itself well to games.

You would sit in a trench for DAYS in a game, sure.

As an online game its a great concept.

"Life sucks sober!"

It will have RPG elements

Found Item: Dry socks

+20 against foot rot

No effect against water

Also the Christmas Update will allow you to cross over the trenches and make peace with the enemy until you're ordered back into your side by an admin.

Occasionally the idea will hit me, "ya know there are practically no WW1 games, should totally make one of those!" and then, "Oh wait, sitting in a trench for months, shooting at people you can't see sometimes, and charging into mines, gas, barbed wire, and artillery and dying doesn't make for an exciting game." and thus the cycle continues. It makes good books though.

"That which you do not know, is not a moral charge against you; but that which you refuse to know, is an account of infamy growing in your soul. Make every allowance for errors of knowledge; do not forgive or accept any breach of morality."

I could see a good WW1 Tower Defense game.

AS for a FPS version of WW1

Honestly, you guys are very focused on just the Western front, there were many other parts to the war like Unrestricted Submarine warfare, fighting over in the colonies, the first use of tanks, and even dog fights. If there were to be a WW1 shooter though, it would probably have to take a COD style approach to campaign [having multiple missions with the player using different characters.] (DON'T FLAME ME BECAUSE I MENTIONED COD)

In the right hands this could be a badass game.

"Alyxx Thorne: Batman/10"

"HLPrincess: Also, I'm very proud we have Batman Himself on the Forum."

Strategy games make good use of the setting, I love Toy Soldiers.

"That which you do not know, is not a moral charge against you; but that which you refuse to know, is an account of infamy growing in your soul. Make every allowance for errors of knowledge; do not forgive or accept any breach of morality."

Everyone joked that a video game set in an era with muskets would be boring as hell, and yet the Mount and Blade expansion Napoleonic Wars has a great community of dedicated players.

OK, you got me there, but who can resist bagpipes?