Freeman's Mind 3D?

Would you want to see Freeman's Mind in 3D?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want to see Freeman's Mind in 3D?

• Yes, I WANT TO BE THE FREEMAN!!!
    • Meh, it's just a cheap gimmick.
    • No, those glasses look fucking stupid and I can only use my computer in public.

Sign in to follow this  

I recently discovered two pieces of software, iZ3D and TriDef, that allow you to play games in 3D. If either of these works with Half-Life: Source and you could record the 3D footage, you could have Freeman's Mind 3D! Especially since YouTube has a new 3D option, which would allow you to just watch the episode regularly if you don't have 3D glasses. All of these have anaglyph (two color, usually red/cyan) 3D options, so you don't need a fancy expensive screen, just cheap little paper glasses. Civil Protection could also be 3D in theory, by adding a second virtual camera to the scene.

Also you can get free 3D glasses here in theory. Be careful, as I have not tested this and you should use caution when giving your address online. If someone tries this and it works, let me know. I am not responsible if you end up being stalked by Zack Lieberman.

I have the perfect comeback. A Spaz-12.

3D oftentimes gives me a headache and, frankly, I don't think it adds much. I don't know if it's because I only watched Hollywood-style movies in 3D and the constantly changing depth-of-field is a problem (especially during fade-throughs, but even during jumpcuts) or not and since the perspective is always the same in a game like Half-Life, whether this would be a problem or not, but....

I think that's my biggest problem with 3D movies. You go from where there's a close-up shot of a person's face and then cut directly to a long-shot of a city street and I think that screws with your brain, causing headaches. I saw it happen most recently in the movie "Brave" that I watched in 3D. They had a close up of a rock and then they faded through to walking through a forest (IIRC) and the unmoving camera shooting the rock and the next camera moving through the forest just made my stomach flip-flop. 2D movies, that's not a problem. 3D movies...

I would vote against 3D for Freeman's Mind, personally, but not because the glasses make me look stupid.

I've already been Freeman once in my sleep. I had this realistic dream and I could see my legs, and arms wearing HEV suit! And the only weapon I had then, was a shotgun - my fav from the game. It was... AMAZING! So I like the 3D idea....

Me and Alyx were chased by Combine soldiers in some empty bulding. So yeh, I think3D would be fantasic, becasue I've experienced being Freeman in my dream. I'm serious, it happened when I was playing the game very late at night a few days in a row and once I went to sleep almost immediately after ending the game in the middle of some action (I think it was in the citadel). It was AWESOME. Someone else had a dream like that? PM me! :D

Ross's girlfriend (IRL) Twitter: @AmazingMagda follow me! ^^to somewhere! ^^

I've already been Freeman once in my sleep. I had this realistic dream and I could see my legs, and arms wearing HEV suit! And the only weapon I had then, was a shotgun - my fav from the game. It was... AMAZING! So I like the 3D idea....

Me and Alyx were chased by Combine soldiers in some empty bulding. So yeh, I think3D would be fantasic, becasue I've experienced being Freeman in my dream. I'm serious, it happened when I was playing the game very late at night a few days in a row and once I went to sleep almost immediately after ending the game in the middle of some action (I think it was in the citadel). It was AWESOME. Someone else had a dream like that? PM me! :D

Wait, you have those dreams too? :lol:

Seriously though, 3D kinda gives me headaches...

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

Haha! Well, I have no objections about 3D. I think people who wear glasses/contact lenses tend to have more problems with 3D.

I think people who wear glasses/contact lenses tend to have more problems with 3D.

Not necessarily, it's all about the person's depth perception. I know three people that can't see/get headaches from 3D, and none of them wear contacts or glasses. I also know multiple other people that wear them, and they have no problems with 3D.

I think people who wear glasses/contact lenses tend to have more problems with 3D.

Not necessarily, it's all about the person's depth perception. I know three people that can't see/get headaches from 3D, and none of them wear contacts or glasses. I also know multiple other people that wear them, and they have no problems with 3D.

Well... That still means there are poeple who enjoy 3D ;)

I wish I had dreams where I was Gordon Freeman. The coolest dream I had was the world being devastated by an actually dangerous zombie virus instead of the Hollywood bullshit. That wasn't in first person though.

e: To get more back on topic, I support this because you may as well record with the 3d option.

I've confirmed that HL:S does indeed work with TriDef. If it can be recorded in a 3D format, which I'm fairly sure is possible, it can be done in 3D.

Ross is always complaining about delays in production and all the things he has to juggle while producing an episode, more so when they dont work properly. do you really want to delay episodes further by adding an extra step or two to the proccess and possibly more issues for him to deal with?

I also think without some benefit production/quality wise and overwhelming support/demand Ross is unlikely to consider this as a serious option for Freemans Mind or Civil Protection.

Ross is always complaining about delays in production and all the things he has to juggle while producing an episode, more so when they dont work properly. do you really want to delay episodes further by adding an extra step or two to the proccess and possibly more issues for him to deal with?

I also think without some benefit production/quality wise and overwhelming support/demand Ross is unlikely to consider this as a serious option for Freemans Mind or Civil Protection.

You are right. No way this would work without a team who would do all necesarry stuff. :PI don't know how it technically works but can't the earlier episodes be remade into 3D? Of course with permisson of Ross.

Firstly, I need to admit - I like 3D, never had problems with headache because of it (and I do wear optical glasses) and would normally* try to watch 3D version of a movie in a cinema, if available.

I would also love to see FM and/or CP in 3D but...

It is completely impractical to expect Ross to reshoot all the footage used for any episode done to date, in fact, with CP it will be impossible to recreate the footage exactly, as (assuming Ross has preserved scripts and demos for each scene) they will still play differently in Source every time you try to run them (at least that was always my experience).

All on-the-fly 2D to 3D conversions in software are invariably unwatchable (regardless of software used and the budget), so just converting old episodes in post-production is not an option either.

Doing proper 3D in a game required processing of two camera angles at the same time (and I have no idea if Source is really able to do or if it can be done at the DirectX level) but that will mean the need for a bigger processing power. For scenes rendered with Source Recorder that also requires it to be able to do 2 angles at the same time - have no idea it that is possible.

Now, to do a proper 3D and and maintain the same quality for 2D and archiving, the video must be side-by-side. Rendering to anaglyph is not reversible. That means either double the bandwidth for the same resolution or half the resolution for the same bandwidth.

Finally - watching the results. As I said earlier, I love 3D movies. But only in cinema. Watching 3D on a TV screen (even on a good passive one) is just not the same. Besides, I feel ridiculous having to wear 3D glasses in my own home :-) In addition, anaglyph on TV looks horrible anyway, so that option is out of the question too.

So, when I do 3D stuff for myself I do cross-eyed side-by-sides, which I'm fine with but nobody else in my family can watch - basically, 3D technology is not at the point when it is practically useful for home watching.

Regards

*) Bootnote: "Normally" only applies to films natively shot in 3D. I will never ever watch a post-production converted 3D movie - it is just crap every time.

To clarify, I was thinking more along the lines of a single episode in this format. Re-creating old episodes or several new episodes would be a lot of extra work, but I think a single 3D episode (maybe around April of next year) would be neat.

And to Vapymid: The programs I mentioned use 3D via DirectX, which is why they can work on so many different games. Also, YouTube has a crosseyed option, as does TriDef.

I did meh mostly because I don't think it will really add anything and that is another hoop for Ross to jump through.

Though he could do an episode where he gets a weird medpack or some Doritos's and trips out the whole time.

"Do not inhale fumes, no matter how good they smell."

Though he could do an episode where he gets a weird medpack or some Doritos's and trips out the whole time.

How about tripping balls after a scientist injects him? Especially since the 3D idea is not getting the fan support needed to make it worth Ross's time.

As long as I dont have to use it. I mean if people really want to watch it in 3D then I dont mind, just dont make me do it. I HATE watching things in 3D.

"Life sucks sober!"

but I think a single 3D episode (maybe around April of next year) would be neat.

Yes, that would be nice, I agree. But I guess that the likes of us are few and far between and the idea of 3D is not really filling the masses with cheerful enthusiasm ;-) Oh, well...

Regards

I'm one of those people whose eyes don't work in stereo very well. My depth perception sucks. But even if it would work for me I think just one special episode should be made that way. It would be too much trouble, i think, to do the series (FM) that way. To keep consistent you wouldn't want to start doing that in the middle of the series. And to redo all old episodes is just time wasteful.

CP would be the better candidate for doing 3D because they are pretty much stand alone episodes. So a movie, like The Tunnel, could have been produced in 3D and maybe done well.

"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

"Does my beard intimidate you?"

How about tripping balls after a scientist injects him? Especially since the 3D idea is not getting the fan support needed to make it worth Ross's time.

LOL This sounds awesome.