EPISODE 4: ON A RAIL

Sign in to follow this  

After numerous delays, here is Episode 4 at last. This one is clearly a step above the previous ones in terms of production quality and I hope everyone enjoys it. This episode has nice motion blur, mobile camera shots, scenic backgrounds, and more action than the previous 3 combined. This was originally meant to be Episode 5, but since the numbering is arbitrary anyway, it may as well be 4. I've switched the video hosting to filefront since I wouldn't have enough space for this on my student account. As always, there's the Youtube versions, but for this episode especially, it's worth getting the high quality copies.

If you missed my previous post, I was griping about how much time this took for things that I think could be expediated. For that reason, I'm putting the series on hold until I find a faster way of producing these. I'm not going to be aimless; I do have some ideas, they'll just take me time to research. I'll make another post here once I've started up again. Until then, don't wonder when the next episode is coming out because it's on hold for now. And finally, to engage in some shameless hint dropping, I DO have work right now, but it will not be steady, so the future is uncertain, though the same could be said for everyone.

High Quality version (92MB)

This episode was definitely a lot more impressive in quality and what was going on. A lot of the camera shots were really nice. I found it quite dissapointing, though, in terms of length and amount of dialogue.

Wow, this episode really takes a different turn than the others. I noticed how for the first time, the characters actually went somewhere.

Usually the episodes are a two-way argument in some way between Mike and Dave, but this one gave me the special effects add on to it.

Gotta admit, the Shadow Guy and Vort cameo was pretty funny, as well as Mike paying no attention to the abstractly dressed (for an alien ruled dystopia) GMan.

And, the end was uber pwnage. I rewound it several times just to see Mike and Dave get owned by their own short attention spans.

Though in the end, I felt it was a bit too short compared to all the others, and didn't have any of Dave's or Mike's one-liners I was hoping for. I know it's kinda hard to say when you've done all that work, but I feel there was little conversation except for the beginning and end.

All in all, you've done it again, and I mean that in a good way. I totally cannot wait for when you start the series up again!

I must comment on how awesome this episode is!
I loved the use of Half-Life 2 maps, and the ending was gold.

It was very impressive, even though Dave had some buggy animations, due to the moving train, but there isn't a whole lot you can do about that.

But keep up the good work!

Ahh, watched it some more, hehe, Love that ending.

Even knew it was comeing and it cought me by suprise.

I am So looking forward to next episode, if you make it anyway. And defanitly willing to help on any mapping needed.

Though this ep was Awsum I think I still like #1 the most. Maybe because it's just the first one I saw.
Thanks again for all the laughter.
Hehe. :-}

It is finally out, it was like waiting for halflife2.

aaron: I'm trying to have a variety with these. This one will appeal much more to some people than 2 does. If it's any consolence, my idea for Ep. 5 (when I get this going again) will be focused especially on the writing and who knows how long it will be. And I'd love to make these longer, but it was a lot of work to get those 6 minutes that I had.

karasu: thanks man, I have tons of different ideas like this

calix: Yeah Mike's mind was elsewhere at the moment. And yeah, this one didn't have as much conversation. It's weird some people complain about the lengthy conversations like there was in 2, but again, I want to have variety. Part of the reason I focused on the action so much this time was because I barely had any in the previous episodes, so this was partially to show that I COULD do action.

Oh and don't feel bad about criticizing my stuff. You can tear my films apart here as long as you're not a jerk about it. Really as long as someone's not posting outright insults, I'll put it up here. I only have this censorship thing on to weed out pharmaceutical ads.

Nicadeamas: Yeah, the ending was predictable, but I don't think most people foresaw it playing out in that fashion. (Mike is a bad luck magnet by the way). As for liking #1, that's cool, I'm trying to cover humor from a couple different angles.

i am speechless absolutely fantastic camera angles you using pointveiw_control geuss who's gettin more emails !!!!!!! just awsome though... I gotta say though I was waiting for the normal show humor and I thought this was only a test of the cameras for this one episode... to try something different and then the end came along and I started to crack up GOOD JOB!!!

can you give us the name of ep 5

Ahaha! That was totally awesome! I watched it again and again, that train ride was fantastic. Awesome work, Ross!

Poor Mike.

Loved the ending, overall good episode and enjoyable. Didn't really like the long train ride, I know, main point. Good use of camera angles, well done custom map. You know, I came here because I downloaded the third back in like march, it is now june 25th and I came back just in time . Keep up the good work, if you need an editor, I'm your man . my email is [email protected]

This episode was excellent, absolutely worth the long wait.

Funny, creative and beautiful.

After seeing it i'm no longer surprised it took this long. Fantastic camera angles, animation and custom mapping. However i think you flopped on the easiest thing (in my oppinion): humor. Until now it was a lot more inteligent (not joking) and original. Of course, the way Mike hit the train was genious ), but the rest of the episode lacked. The train sequence was great, great action and perfect music, even without the "damn composer". If you can succeed in walking the line between humor/story and action, you are THE MAN. That's exactly what you did in the first episode. And i still laugh my ass of at that one, even though i saw it a LOT of times.

In all, the episode was ok, but dissapointing from the lack of humor.
OH! I really really really loved the part when Mike enumerated differen chinese foods. That was genious )) For me, that's the funniest part. Good work, and good luck on the next episode. I'll be watching every day!

Amazing! To bad that episodes 5 future is very unpredictable

Great job man! It was totally worth the waiting by my opinion,keep up the superb work adn all the best to you.

No wonder this one took so long. Great work.

I tried looking in to the leg IK problem but I can't reproduce it. The legs jerk once when the train starts, but after that they're steady...

gaylord: I didn't follow everything you said, but it sounds positive

richard: all the more reason for me to improve my methods so I can get these out faster

fatmanjim: I haven't decided myself, it will cover a variety of topics. Even then, it depends, I kind of like keeping things a surprise until they're done.

otto: poor Mike, what about poor Dave? I mean Mike's obviously alive at the end of the episode, whereas Dave is down for the count one way or another. At the very least he has a concussion.

kevin: Well I tried to keep the trainride interesting with the interlude, the scanner following him, and his jump, but I appreciate that not everybody will be as interested in the action, or else would need a lot more.

kai: thanks man. I'm in disagreement about it being worth the wait, but at least I have more to show for the wait this time.

d.ex: Well they can't all be home runs. I admit, I was more focused on the "awe" factor for this one, but I tried to have some funny bits. I DEFINITELY have episode ideas like what you just described, it's just a matter of getting these out and deciding which idea to do next.

tori and anonymous dude: thanks again people

That was the BEST!!!

sweet job with the moving cameras

Oh dude this rocks! I´m really looking forward to ep 5, hope you do find some way to make it quick.