Anyone here play DOOM?

Last time I played a real old-school shooter was when I played tribes 2. And that wasnt yesterday..

"Life sucks sober!"

Last time I played a real old-school shooter was when I played tribes 2. And that wasnt yesterday..

Why not? It's worth playing yesterday!

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Why not? It's worth playing yesterday!

True. I have lost my tribes and tribes 2, the only one I have (on CD) is vengeance. Should I get a hold of tribes 2 I would play it for days!

"Life sucks sober!"

On a more related note Doom 3: BFG Edition is in the works for PS3 and 360. I really don't know what Beth and id thinks they are doing because it looks worse than the PC version from 2004.

Yes but it's also from 2004.

There will be a PC release of the BFG Edition. But my interest in this fell to 0 when I read "checkpoint save system" in the report.

Hopefully you are right. I have nothing against checkpoints as long as they co-exist with manual saves, like in FEAR for example. It is easy enough for people to simply not save manually if they want to use strictly checkpoints. I did such a run through FEAR once just as a personal challenge.

Sadly this trend is pretty prevalent on recent PC titles as well. FEAR 2, Riddick Dark Athena and Metro 2033 just to name a few.

Wait, what? That is completely backwards. The checkpoint placement, and thus the flow, is at the mercy of the level designer. If you encounter a bad placement and/or a very difficult area, the flow is completely stopped, you have to repeat the exact same scene over and over again until you do everything right. At least with manual saves you can savescum your way past shitty gameplay mechanics that otherwise would drive you insane long before you found the patience to die a few dozen more times before you finally succeed. It is actually manual saves that keep the flow going at a steady pace because you adapt the checkpoints/saves to your play style and your skills instead of the level designer's.