What's your OS?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. What's your OS?

• Windows
    • MacOS
    • Linux (ie. Ubuntu)
    • Other (please specify)

Sign in to follow this  

I've used a Mac before when I was editing a music video for Academic Institute and I quite like the software that comes with a Mac. I agree with you when it comes to compatibility though.

Well they're rapidly porting Windows software to the mac, so it's only a matter of time...

Retired Forum Moderator

Yes! I finally found this topic. No need to create another one.

I use Debian 6.0 "squeeze" (GNU/Linux based operating system) to work and browse the internet and Microsoft Windows 7 x86 ultimate to play games.

(I also have ubuntu 9.04 ARM on my little zipit z2 handheld texting machine.)

"It's not about changing the world. It's about doing our best to leave the world... the way it is. It's about respecting the will of others, and believing in your own."

Yes! I finally found this topic. No need to create another one.

I use Debian 6.0 "squeeze" (GNU/Linux based operating system) to work and browse the internet and Microsoft Windows 7 x86 ultimate to play games.

(I also have ubuntu 9.04 ARM on my little zipit z2 handheld texting machine.)

Sounds like a nice dualboot setup.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

I posted my build over in the computer hardware section, but I'm currently running a triple booting machine (W7, Ubuntu, and Mac OS 10.6). They all run very fine and each serve their own distinct purpose.

Perhaps, but it's also a tribute to my determination and know-how with computer programing and hardware (it's not easy to get OSX to run on any PC, despite the move to intel processors). I've made plenty of men green with envy over it :D

Well, I actually use OSX for my day-to-day activities and creative work, since it can utilize more RAM than W7 can and has more mainstream programs available for it than Ubuntu.

Edit: I forgot to note that I'm using the 32-bit build of W7, since it was the more software friendly build at the time, hence the RAM limitation.

yeah, well at the time a lot of software I used was reporting bugs with the 64-bit version, so I bought the 32-bit version. I'll probably go 64-bit when/if I upgrade to W8, but since I'm not into pirating software nor have the desire to buy the 64-bit W7, I'll have to be fine where I'm at now :) which admittedly isn't that bad of a place to be.

Mac OS is a pretty good operating system though, from what I've gathered.

Eyup. That's why I'm planning to buy a Macbook.

"Even if something sounds logical, it doesn't mean it have to be true"

Yes, Macs are great!

To be honest I have an OSx 10.6 too. It's on an external harddrive (80GB Seagate barracuda IDE in an IDE -> USB external rack). I don't use it very often. In fact I installed it just to experiment with my AMD Athlon based computer.

It all started when a friend complained he hadn't been able to install it on his Intel based machine and he lent me his disc to try out. Well, turned out that it works on my PC very well! (Ok, it wasn't working the first, I had to do some tweaks). The system recognizes my processor as an Intel core 2 duo and that's funny :D . My 8800 GT card was good too. I tried some source based games and they ran very smooth. Steam runs, Half-life 2 runs, Portal runs. :)

"It's not about changing the world. It's about doing our best to leave the world... the way it is. It's about respecting the will of others, and believing in your own."

Yeah, since OSX stopped relying on the PowerPC processors, installing OSX has become so much easier for end-users, with or without the tools floating around the net (I actually installed OSX to mine before most of that stuff was released). My only complaint about it thus far is the RAM management and, in the case of non-apple computers, lacking support for Wifi cards.

I'm impressed that you got it running on an AMD chip, saja. Kudos to you (I've never tried, but I assume it's not as easy as it is with an Intel based computer).

I always wonder how the PC OS market works. I mean pretty much everyone uses either Windows, OSX or(for the more techy people) some Linux based OS. I have never heard of any OS getting even close to mainstream.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Which is kind of sad, because I'm fairly sure a lot of people have used a Linux build at one point or another in their lives. For example, I know that the cash registers at the last couple of places I've worked have used a linux OS, although the office computer used a version of Windows. Heck, I've recently worked with DOS for work. Who would've guessed, but I suppose if it's not broken, it doesn't need to be fixed.