Are games overpriced?

Do you think games are overpriced? Most big titles cost around 50€, do you think that is to much?

I am kind of split on this one. If you buy a game you mostly get somewhere around 10hours of campaign gameplay and sometimes even a lot more out of multiplayer. Now that if i think about it that way it actually kind of makes sense to sell games at these prices.

BUT as a gamer i think it is very overpriced. Because as a gamer i want to play more then 1 game and with these prices the overall price of games gets quite big very quickly.

But what are your thoughts about it.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Games have always been this expensive. Remember the starting prices of the Nintendo 64 cartridges?

I have completely stopped buying games at full price/day 1. One doesn't really have to wait long for a meaty discount, I bought Dead Space 2 less than a month after its release for less than half of the starting price over on Amazon UK.

Games have always been this expensive. Remember the starting prices of the Nintendo 64 cartridges?

I have completely stopped buying games at full price/day 1. One doesn't really have to wait long for a meaty discount, I bought Dead Space 2 less than a month after its release for less than half of the starting price over on Amazon UK.

Sure, maybe the prices always have been like this. That doesn't mean it is right.

And yeah sometimes you get very good deals(especially on steam). But i am talking about the starting price, whether it should actually be this expensive to begin with.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Initial starting price of $50 should be the maximum, and less than $30 for crap like the 2 most recent COD games.

Should never be over $50 IMO. (50€ is almost $70 US)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Games are fairly priced. It's the map packs and DLC etc that are way too overpriced.

Yeah, they are getting overpriced. It's a good idea to wait a bit for new games, rent them (try before buying), or only spending on games you're really waiting for. For example: A lot of games I just rent, the ones I like I wait a while before buying, and the only exceptions to that will be The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Half-Life 2: Episode 3 and Mass Effect 3.

I think only big budget titles end up overpriced. I don't want to pay 60 € for a game.

That is because people keep buying them at full price, voting the price over us all with their wallets.

PC games aren't very expensive. If they are, after monts their price gettting low. I just don't like the idea of making Xbox or other consoles games price so hight. More than PC

"Even if something sounds logical, it doesn't mean it have to be true"

As far as i have seen the price only differs like 10€ at most, so really not that big of a difference.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Because the console players are in bigger numbers, and tell the publisher as well as the retailer that they're willing to spend that much money on a game by buying it. If gamers weren't a bunch of sheep they could form a mass protest group and boycott games that are overly expensive. There are many things to protest; uneven pricing across platforms, making currencies weigh the same (On Steam for example, some games cost the same amount both in euros and dollars.), prices not dropping for a very long time only with the blockbuster titles, games that are shipped with DRM and limitations that I'm almost sure are illegal in many countries, etc. etc.

And will any protests happen? No. The sheep will continue to run to the store en masse and buy Medal of Duty: Modern Assault 3 and Football Manager: Copy and Paste 11 for 100 dollars each.

Around here, NFS HP cost 60 € for PS3 but only around 30-40 € for PC. I think that's bullshit. Why should PS3 gamers pay more for it?

PS3 Discs are made from a different material. More resistant to scratches.

Other than that, I think it's because of the appeal for PS3's overseas.

PS3 Discs are made from a different material. More resistant to scratches..

Um, no... They're Blu-ray disks instead of DVDs... If anything they are more susceptible to scratches.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

In Eastern Europe they definitely are. Average salary in Hungary is around 135000 Ft = 500 Euros per months. Average game price is 12000 Ft = 45 Euros. So a game costs 10% of a monthly salary which seems to be enormous. (New games tend to cost even more up to 18000-20000 Ft)

My monthly salary is around 190,000 kr., that is roughly 1150 euros. A new PC game is usually in the 8-9000 kr. range while console versions around 10-11,000.

Not quite as bad as in Hungary but still. . .

My monthly salary is around 190,000 kr., that is roughly 1150 euros. A new PC game is usually in the 8-9000 kr. range while console versions around 10-11,000.

Not quite as bad as in Hungary but still. . .

Mine is only $1200/Mo. I only buy like one game a month.

I buy 4-6 games a year, often less.

Well that's recently, Cuz all the awesome games have come out. Halo, CoD, The other CoD. The OTHER Halo. Etc.

I never played any Halo or CoD game before. This year will make me buy more games than normally, I started with Dead Space 2 and next up will probably be Crysis 2, depends on how quickly it falls in price. I'm also interested in Bulletstorm.