A Story About My Uncle

Straightforward little plot. It’s the movement mechanics and fantasy world that really sell this game. Not super long but it’s constantly doing something new, fun, and visually interesting. Highly recommend. 

The platforming is great and you can have a goat instead of the default grapple beam.

There's also a story but I didn't find it particularly interesting. It's rather short but that's OK, otherwise it would've gotten kind of repetitive.

Poor choice of name by the way.

Bad title. But it doesn't lie. It is a story about someone's uncle!

Can't say I remember who the uncle was. Genious inventor. A bit tepid. Like weak tea left out too long.

Clever gameplay, gorgeous scenery. It is experimenting a lot and it is great for it.

I think they could've made the fairy tale store less textual. Give us more to figure out, keep the mystery going.

Overall, I would put it with The Unfinished Swan as the only two fairy tale book-style games I've ever personally played.

I kinda consider this a little game that could, if you know what I mean. Great gameplay, to the point where my muscle memory applied it to different games. Story wasn't as profound or deep as it thought it was, I think it could have gone farther into the shallow or deep end and have come out better.

Nice graphics, interesting story, neat worldbuilding, good attention to detail, and mindblowingly obnoxious controls.

I would describe the gameplay as "Super Meat Boy on Xen with noodle arms". The level design is just bad, as not only simply getting around is a tedious chore but it's also a "where the fuck do I go" kind of game where your destination is never clear and you do a lot of going in circles accidentally. The experience reminded me a lot of Getting Over It with Bennet Foddy, except in that game the horrible controls were the point. Here, they just get in the way. I don't even want to know the end of the story because of how frustrating the whole thing is. And if you think I just hate difficulty: not at all, Dark Souls is one of my favourite games of all time. But A Story About My Uncle isn't just challenging; it made me feel like I was repeatedly trying to put a thread into the hole of a sewing needle while covered in oil and blind drunk.

This game made me hate grappling hooks.

Edited by Chad Mojito (see edit history)