Random thread

Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12-gauge. Please contact your administrator.

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA

Hehehe. That's the first reference to the series this forum revolves around I've seen in a very long time. Good on ya, mate. I'll give you a rep if I find one lying around.

Life is just a time trial; it's all about how many happy points you can earn in a set period of time

General Error

SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

User dbo419512803 already has more than 'max_user_connections' active connections [1203]

An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.

NO

OHMIGOD BATTEWFEEWD FREE ISH SHO MUCH BETTERR THAN CAWL UV DOOTY YOU NERRRRD!

Life is just a time trial; it's all about how many happy points you can earn in a set period of time

My top reasons for pirating...

1. It's free. When you're out of a job like I am, you don't have any money to spare for software/games, and since the only way to be proficient in the software (so I can use it on a job app) is to use it, there really isn't much choice.

2. DRM. Digital Rights Management is the scourge of the digital realm. When you have to be connected to the internet 100% of the time just to run something you paid for, and have a physical copy of, it can not only be troublesome, (internet fluctuations, etc.) it can be downright impossible. (if their server goes down, etc.) The biggest issue is that the DRM protection only affects legitimate purchases and the people who crack the software. (and they still get the stuff out within a week of release for major titles)

3. Limited time trials. 30 days free isn't very helpful, especially when it leaves a file preventing the reinstallation of the program for longer usage times. WinRAR got it right with their trial that just nags at you when you start it up, but still lets you use it's core functionality for as long as you need it.

4. Overpriced and under supported programs. Many programs/games are way overpriced for what you get. $60+ for a game that is over 2 years old, and isn't that good anyways... Software that you pay $120 for only to find out that it will not work, despite you meeting their system requirements, and then having to wait 4 months, through 3 patches just to run the software. (I had this happen to me twice, the program designers didn't care because they had all the money they'd ever get out of me)

5. Cracked programs usually run better. The people who crack programs are usually extremely proficient programmers, and more than once I have come across games/programs that had major issues that have been fixed within a week of release by the crackers, but the actual devs wait years before fixing the same problem themselves. (if they ever fix it at all)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

My top reasons for pirating...

1. It's free. When you're out of a job like I am, you don't have any money to spare for software/games, and since the only way to be proficient in the software (so I can use it on a job app) is to use it, there really isn't much choice.

2. DRM. Digital Rights Management is the scourge of the digital realm. When you have to be connected to the internet 100% of the time just to run something you paid for, and have a physical copy of, it can not only be troublesome, (internet fluctuations, etc.) it can be downright impossible. (if their server goes down, etc.) The biggest issue is that the DRM protection only affects legitimate purchases and the people who crack the software. (and they still get the stuff out within a week of release for major titles)

3. Limited time trials. 30 days free isn't very helpful, especially when it leaves a file preventing the reinstallation of the program for longer usage times. WinRAR got it right with their trial that just nags at you when you start it up, but still lets you use it's core functionality for as long as you need it.

4. Overpriced and under supported programs. Many programs/games are way overpriced for what you get. $60+ for a game that is over 2 years old, and isn't that good anyways... Software that you pay $120 for only to find out that it will not work, despite you meeting their system requirements, and then having to wait 4 months, through 3 patches just to run the software. (I had this happen to me twice, the program designers didn't care because they had all the money they'd ever get out of me)

5. Cracked programs usually run better. The people who crack programs are usually extremely proficient programmers, and more than once I have come across games/programs that had major issues that have been fixed within a week of release by the crackers, but the actual devs wait years before fixing the same problem themselves. (if they ever fix it at all)

1) I can see that being a problem

2) I agree with completely

3) That's only with demos

4) I agree with the first part, can't say bout the software part, cause it never happens to me

5) Never dealt with.

Usually I don't mind paying for games though.

Me as well. With a company like Valve, who is the most generous and well-mannered corporate game producer in existence, you have to show support for them so they can keep up their competition with EA and Activision. So, I never feel bad about blowing $20 on Mann Co keys and Secret Saxtons and Name Tags. But when it comes to downloading a new DLC pack for BF3 or CoD, I definitely think twice about the decision before I make it.

Usually I don't mind paying for games though.

Me as well. With a company like Valve, who is the most generous and well-mannered corporate game producer in existence, you have to show support for them so they can keep up their competition with EA and Activision. So, I never feel bad about blowing $20 on Mann Co keys and Secret Saxtons and Name Tags. But when it comes to downloading a new DLC pack for BF3 or CoD, I definitely think twice about the decision before I make it.

This.

True, but come on! How many times can one have 2.5 posts in a row like that?