ROSS'S GAME DUNGEON: MESSIAH

everything sucks we should just have new years all year round.

"Fleet Intelligence Coming Online"

2 hours ago, RaTcHeT302 said:

CHRISTMAS SUCKS

it clearly should be hallowen ALL YEAR AROUND instead

Halloween, the only worthwhile holiday left.

"I don't trust a man that doesn't have something strange going on about him, cause that means he's hiding it from you. If a man's wearing his pants on his head or if he says his words backwards from time to time, you know it's all laid out there for you. But if he's friendly to strangers and keeps his home spick-and-span, more often than not he's done something even his own ma couldn't forgive." -No-bark Noonan

OH MY GOD! Santa Claus in Trouble was THE childhood game for me. I played it ENDLESSLY! The thing is, the game STARTS easy but it actually gets fairly difficult and fun as you go through it. I should still have the original CD back in my parents house, need to find it.

Just want to mention that personal favorite puzzle game 3D Ultra Lionel Traintown has like half a dozen levels where you have to save Christmas. You know, in case you're starving for Christmas material next year.

I bought this game on GOG along with like every other Shiny Entertainment game, including other games from this era like Giants: Citizen Kabuto. Shame it's kind of a ball-buster, I think the devs wanted to give the player a sandbox for causing chaos, but there's just one too many obstacles in the way and not enough signposting.

There's a bunch of other games from around 2000 that have similar sci-fi aesthetics. Slave Zero and Forsaken come to mind, and the former even has the same basic premise of taking down a totalitarian dictator, except you're a reprogrammed bio-mech who has to shoot through everything instead of being an angel that has to stealth through everything. 

Lastly, I think we could use some fanart of Bob asking Saint Septevar from Apocalyptica if he's one of the good guys. 

5 hours ago, RocketDude said:

There's a bunch of other games from around 2000 that have similar sci-fi aesthetics. Slave Zero and Forsaken come to mind

Or, Forsahken, as we called it in Eastern Europe

3 minutes ago, RaTcHeT302 said:

HEY, WHAT ABOUT WEST EUROPE

forguntergliebenglauchenglobensaken

Im real person, I was born in 1984 and Live in maine Google Freeman0032 For all my social media. 

Yes we are living in the age of "fake people" IRL and online. so I understand. Anyway. My goal was to show appreciation for the art that is these video's and to find link's to more content or a twitch stream. 

Yes I agree, I also agree on a much larger scale. With Misinformation and Bots spreading it. I could go on and on about that and mgs2. I will not do that out of respect for this space. 

Apparently the "oof" death sound effect from roblox is ripped from this game.

World's largest wildfire is happening right now in Montana.

About low fidelity 2000s games with weird and janky gameplay but trying to pioneer things, I'd like to suggest to Ross Omikron: Nomad Soul.

It's a very good game, or at least I liked it a lot as a kid, despite the jank (which was even at the time completely perceptible, much like Messiah).

It has European sensibilities and storytelling, some outdated tropes, David Bowie, a lot of ambition, and, weirdly, possession!

I looked around to see if someone suggested it and couldn't find anything, so there. If there's a better place to suggest things, please let me know.

I rewatched this because YouTube recommended it and I didn't remember it very well, and one thing that struck me was the HUD elements in the bottom right, which I'm pretty sure I didn't even see before because they're so tiny. HUD elements not being designed to scale up isn't uncommon for PC games of that time, but what's odd to me is that it didn't seem to affect the on-screen text like those tutorial messages. Usually it's all or nothing with that stuff.

Also I'm noticing some missing posts in this thread. While I, too, quickly got tired of Ratchet's immature posts and don't disagree with the decision to ban him, do you really think he deserved the "erase all evidence that he ever existed" treatment? Personally I'd reserve that for spambots. Even if they never posted a single thing worth reading, it's still useful to leave proof that the other people in the conversation were arguing with somebody, not just spouting random nonsense.

Oh, and this game was weirdly ahead of its time by offering a way to turn off the licensed music. I've seen some modern games offer that for the benefit of Twitch streamers, who are (implied to be, by the fact that Twitch hasn't been sued out of existence by the game industry) legally cleared to stream games themselves but not necessarily the music in them.