Question About Freeman's Durability

Sign in to follow this  

I kind of don't get what Freeman's suit can block and what it can't block. Apparently dozens of 9mm rounds simply bounce off, and Vortigaunt shocks, Bullsquid poison, headcrabs, and Houndeye blasts just sort of annoy him (shouldn't the Vort's shocks travel through his suit and exit through his head and knock him out?). But apparently grenades, fire, machine gun turrets, falling from great heights, getting smahsed by a really big monster, barnacles, and tripmines can kill him. What's going on, is what does effect him and what doesn't just chosen at random? Or is it only stuff that can effect his head? Why can a machine gun turret kill him but a soldier with a machine gun can't? On a similar note, how will future threats like tank shells, miniguns on helicopters, alien grunts, the controllers, and the Nihilianth's electric balls effect him, because I recall that most of those things gib you in game.

He got shot in the ear by the machine gun turret, and i think his suit is insulated, only the immediate area of shock hurts him before it gets absorbed.

Yes, but I'm talking about later (episode 22 I think?) where he says "I can't live with that. Like, literally" when faced with a machine gun turret, but apparently shrugs off being shot dozens of time by soldiers.

The suit can block bullets. The vortiguant electricity isn't enough to kill him, it just hurts really bad. The bullsquid's bile isn't acidic anymore, just disgusting. Houndeyes are just annoying, and the headcrabs aren't mounting his face.

It's hard to say how he'll deal with the tank rounds though.

Yes, but I'm talking about later (episode 22 I think?) where he says "I can't live with that. Like, literally" when faced with a machine gun turret, but apparently shrugs off being shot dozens of time by soldiers.

Because he has been very lucky that he hasn't been shot in the head, only in the ear.

It's pretty obvious as Mako pointed out (and the many times Freeman has said it) that suit is pretty much indestructible. He's extremely lucky none of the soldiers shot him in the head (which wouldn't be a problem if he had his helmet) There's a whole thing about it on theFM article in the HL Machinima wiki.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Kaweebo/

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones."

VALVE: "Sometimes bugs take more than eighteen years to fix."

If the HEV suit existed in real life, it's first practical employment would probably be both as a Space suit and personal armor for Soldiers.

Space_debris_impact_on_Space_Shuttle_window_s.jpg

This was one of the windows of Shuttle Challenger while it was deploying a satelite. The fleck was probably no bigger than your fingernail and about as durable. The twist is that it hit at about 15,000km/h. Such a threat still exists for Astronauts when outside the space shuttle, simply trusting in the low probability that micrometeorites would hit them.

This is a nice metric server. No imperial dimensions, please.

Freeman also said that his face looked as a cutting board because of the headcrabs, so not invulnerable at all

The point of saying the suit can block stuff is because freeman's mind is skewed towards the realistic with Gordon being just a normal(ish) guy, therefore unlike the game where you can take a good handful of bullets and not die Ross is saying that the suit is protecting him.

There are a couple of instances where we can see this such as the episode where he launches the rocket when all the soldiers audio chatter overlaps and he steps out in-front of them he gets shot a good couple of times Ross then says something like "Some of those shots were really close to my head!" but when he comes back to the control room there is a blood splatter on the wall where he was standing which wasn't there before.

Its just a practicality thing so that Freeman isn't some bullet resistant Juggernaut but Ross also doesn't have to play through sections to make sure he isn't shot (I'm fairly sure he has God mode on) i imagine he wouldn't go with any footage that involves freeman being hit by rockets etc

Why does he completely ignore healthstations, except for that one time? I mean, he's cool cuz he can beat the game without them, but if freeman is hurt the way he is, why wouldn't he use one now and then (not *every one*)

The main problem must that its gamephysics that Ross try to make realistic. I would say that the submachineguns and pistols hurts badly, and turrets would kill him, due to caliber. Submachineguns often use 9mm rounds, and i guess turrets would use 5.56 or 7.62.

But its mostly guesswork.

Pretty much no armor is bulletproof, but there's different levels of bullet resistance. 9mm shots can be shrugged off more easily than .50 caliber:

Rifle_cartridge_comparison_w_scale.png

It depends where he gets hit too. I figure some rounds bounce off, most hurt like paintball or more, others could still punch through the armor.

It's hard to say how he'll deal with the tank rounds though.
Well that's easy, don't get hit.

Why does he completely ignore healthstations, except for that one time? I mean, he's cool cuz he can beat the game without them, but if freeman is hurt the way he is, why wouldn't he use one now and then (not *every one*)
In reality, if you're taking enough damage to need multiple medical treatments like that, you're not going to be combat effective for very long.

plus the whole idea of "plugging in" to a health charger and instantly regenerating doesn't make much sense, the way he treats them as cabinets for gauze and other supplies makes more sense. What I'm wondering is why he hasn't attempted to crack one open for painkillers.

Because he has been very lucky that he hasn't been shot in the head, only in the ear.

I'm pretty sure that was where he was talking about brain cancer and what-not.

plus the whole idea of "plugging in" to a health charger and instantly regenerating doesn't make much sense, the way he treats them as cabinets for gauze and other supplies makes more sense. What I'm wondering is why he hasn't attempted to crack one open for painkillers.

Given Black Mesa's tendency to put explosive-resistant (read grenade/rocket proof) glass on nearly every door, I think the security on those is beyond Gordon's means.

"That which you do not know, is not a moral charge against you; but that which you refuse to know, is an account of infamy growing in your soul. Make every allowance for errors of knowledge; do not forgive or accept any breach of morality."

While the whole not using health boxes thing makes sense, why not the suit chargers?

I mean, he hasnt even responded to one.

I'd at least expect a "What is that? A gas pump?".

I HAVE to blow everything up! It's the only way to prove I'm not CRAZY!

While the whole not using health boxes thing makes sense, why not the suit chargers?

He'd have to know what they are, you have to be trained to use an HEV suit and it is part of the training, and given how much he both loves and hates (now knowing of the tracking devices) his suit, I'd imagine mixed feelings for chargers.

He'd have to know what they are, you have to be trained to use an HEV suit and it is part of the training, and given how much he both loves and hates (now knowing of the tracking devices) his suit, I'd imagine mixed feelings for chargers.

No, I believe I remember him specifically asking what they are and then leaving them alone not understanding... maybe he forgot or those are different models.

"When a son is born, the father will go up to the newborn baby, sword in hand; throwing it down, he says, "I shall not leave you with any property: You have only what you can provide with this weapon."

No, I believe I remember him specifically asking what they are and then leaving them alone not understanding... maybe he forgot or those are different models.

Well, that's just silly.

What episode was that in?

"That which you do not know, is not a moral charge against you; but that which you refuse to know, is an account of infamy growing in your soul. Make every allowance for errors of knowledge; do not forgive or accept any breach of morality."