Talk about new PC OS companies, Mac, Microsoft

What OS are you looking forward to?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. What OS are you looking forward to?

• Windows
    • Mac OS
    • Linux
    • Other
    • I'm waiting for a new OS company

Sign in to follow this  

So, here we can talk about what people think about Macs, "Pc's" (Microsoft) and alternatives on the topic of OS (Operating Systems, do not confuse with manufacturing)

What is the future of the market?

Is Microsoft going down from a monopoly to a competitor?

Are there any new promising companies you've heard of? How's Linux?

Whatever catches your fancy with OS, talk here.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

"When a son is born, the father will go up to the newborn baby, sword in hand; throwing it down, he says, "I shall not leave you with any property: You have only what you can provide with this weapon."

:( Ross's image won't load for me.

"That which you do not know, is not a moral charge against you; but that which you refuse to know, is an account of infamy growing in your soul. Make every allowance for errors of knowledge; do not forgive or accept any breach of morality."

Those who think blue screens of death are still common have not used a Windows machine in years or they just suck at using one.

That image is awesome, by the way.

I am always hoping that one day a minimalistic and very customizable OS will go mainstream. Windows is bloody bloated and it only gets worse as the years pass.

I once tried an OS written entirely in assembly code. It fit on a diskette, was compatible with all video adapters in existence, and even had a web browser.

Oh, you mean an early version of Linux...

I'm a Windows user since the early 90's, and I think Linux is a great OS for people who aren't planning on gaming. (this same opinion I have heard from virtually every other Windows user I've come across)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

I once tried an OS written entirely in assembly code. It fit on a diskette, was compatible with all video adapters in existence, and even had a web browser.

Oh, you mean an early version of Linux...

I'm a Windows user since the early 90's, and I think Linux is a great OS for people who aren't planning on gaming. (this same opinion I have heard from virtually every other Windows user I've come across)

No, it wasn't Linux at all. Kolibri OS it was called. Look it up.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

No, it wasn't Linux at all. Kolibri OS it was called. Look it up.

Ah, Russian OS... No wonder I hadn't heard of it before...

Well, firstly, is it a coincidence that I also don't see Ross' image??? :(

@Bjossi

Yeah I kind of hope for a minimalistic OS too, I think the problem is with an OS comes deals and sponsors and etc etc. And Microsoft has virtually all of the Manufacturing/Software industry behind them and as a partner. Hell, they even have games support through smart tactical business.

Mac has some Audio software supporting them (I know that for a fact, it's not a rumour), though it's better then on Microsoft, Microsoft's audio software isn't that much worse at all, merely a bit. We can see how Mac suffers though through the countless programs which just won't run on Mac and thus don't allow you to show what you did on a Mac to the rest of the Computer world that easily, as you will have to convert the file most of the time.

With this going on, we can understand why it is so hard to get into the OS business... It's all about sponsors, trade and support of software and hardware in the computer business.

@Alyxx That's why the OS is named after the smallest bird in the world.

"When a son is born, the father will go up to the newborn baby, sword in hand; throwing it down, he says, "I shall not leave you with any property: You have only what you can provide with this weapon."

I'm just surprised they made an OS compact enough to fit on a single floppy disk. Not even Windows 3.1 was small enough for one disk.

No, but 3.0 was... I still have my copy of it too.

I have pretty much always used Windows. And I do not plan on changing that anytime soon, mainly because of it's compatibility. Pretty much every program/game works on windows, which you can not say for MAC. And I have heard that there aren't as many programs or games for linux. Though I defenitely want to try out something different in the future, but as of right now my main OS will be Windows.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I had a friend, a true Linux pro, that had made a couple little adjustments to his copy of Linux... It could run any game as good as Windows, sometimes better. Even Windows only games.

That was back just after Win ME came out though. (long before XP)

I actually still have the Sound Editor program in use on my Win 7 system... It's the same one that was included in every version of Windows since (I think) 3.1, excluding Vista/7. Why they replaced it with a sub-par program is beyond me...

I use Adobe Audition myself.

That would be the predecessor to Soundbooth, am I right?

Does it have the "reverse audio" or "add echo" functions?

Anyone want to comment on the ridiculous forced Ram usage with the new windows Op. systems?

the ridiculous forced Ram usage

Could you elaborate on that?