Hidden Danger in our daily world

Sign in to follow this  

Post any of the things that you should be aware of that are dangerous but not widely/enough known of or that people aren't aware of.

It's actually a pretty serious topic, please, no religion or belief crap here.

Alright, I will begin and you'll get the idea of how this topic works:

Dozens of partygoers at an outdoor rave near Moscow last week have lost partial vision after a laser light show burned their retinas, Russian health officials said on Monday.

Moscow city health department officials confirmed 12 cases of laser-blindness at the Central Ophthalmological Clinic, and daily newspaper Kommersant said another 17 were registered at City Hospital 32 in the centre of the capital.

Attendees at the July 5 Aquamarine Open Air Festival in Kirzhach, 80 km (50 miles) northeast of Moscow, began seeking medical help days after the show, complaining of eye and vision problems, health officials told Reuters.

"They all have retinal burns, scarring is visible on them. Loss of vision in individual cases is as high as 80 percent, and regaining it is already impossible," Kommersant quoted a treating ophthalmologist as saying.

Attendees said heavy rains forced organisers to erect massive tents for the all-night dance party, and lasers that normally illuminate upwards into the sky were instead partially refracted into the ravers' eyes.

"I immediately had a spot like when you stare into the sun," rave-attendee Dmitry told Kommersant.

"After three days I decided to go to the hospital. They examined me, asked if I had been at Open Air, and then put me straight in the hospital. I didn't even get to go home and get my stuff," he said.

Cosmic Connection, promoters of the Aquamarine rave, were unreachable and did not list contact numbers on their Web site.

Industry Web site http://www.laserfx.com said focused laser light can cause eye damage almost instantly.

The owner of a Moscow laser rental company told Reuters the accidental blindings were due to "illiteracy on the part of technicians".

"It was partly the rain, but also partly the size of the laser. Somebody set up an extremely powerful laser for such a small space," said Valentin Vasiliev, who said his company did not provide the Aquamarine lasers.

http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/article ... ticlePage2

"When a son is born, the father will go up to the newborn baby, sword in hand; throwing it down, he says, "I shall not leave you with any property: You have only what you can provide with this weapon."

:lol: That's a bad study. I have so many comments about it that I don't even know where to begin....such as, did they study whether they were already violent beforehand? Or how about whether simply being "desensitized" to fictional violence makes you desensitized to real violence.

I can only speak for myself but I know others are like me, but I've seen more than my share of gory and violent movies and played more than my share of gory and violent video games. I've watched Dead Alive, which ranks up as the goriest, most violent horror movie of all time (the lawnmower scene?), and it didn't affect me much. Have I been desensitized to fictional violence? Probably. But then, later, I saw a real life video of a truck driver getting pulled out of his truck by three people, and the three people began to beat the shit out of him...and that disturbed me to no end. You see worse on prime time television shows, so why did that bother me much more than the lawnmower scene?

Because this was real life, not some special effect.

Hidden dangers...do corporate growth and Health & Safety count? :P

Feel free to PM me about almost anything and I'll do my best to answer. :)

"Beware of what you ask for, for it may come to pass..."

:lol: That's a bad study. I have so many comments about it that I don't even know where to begin....such as, did they study whether they were already violent beforehand? Or how about whether simply being "desensitized" to fictional violence makes you desensitized to real violence.

I can only speak for myself but I know others are like me, but I've seen more than my share of gory and violent movies and played more than my share of gory and violent video games. I've watched Dead Alive, which ranks up as the goriest, most violent horror movie of all time (the lawnmower scene?), and it didn't affect me much. Have I been desensitized to fictional violence? Probably. But then, later, I saw a real life video of a truck driver getting pulled out of his truck by three people, and the three people began to beat the shit out of him...and that disturbed me to no end. You see worse on prime time television shows, so why did that bother me much more than the lawnmower scene?

Because this was real life, not some special effect.

I think it depends on how one's mental capacity is beforehand. If someone takes the video games differently then most of us here then surely it will affect him.

This is just like the "Has religion affected us badly" question. Irrelevantly.

"When a son is born, the father will go up to the newborn baby, sword in hand; throwing it down, he says, "I shall not leave you with any property: You have only what you can provide with this weapon."

Hmm, I would say propaganda is very dangerous and is used everyday

in many different types and sizes.

Now that we've learned that biofuels are a far less viable replacement for fossil fuels than previously thought, a lot of politicians with "our best interests at heart" are still pushing for them. Let's replace Big Oil with Big Corn!

Oh, and more and more people seem less and less able to tell their fantasies from reality nowadays.

And more and more people use random pages off the internet as "News" as though the entire internet was factual: hence, we have people believing that posts on "The Onion" are real, or that sites about the Nibiru hoax planet are credible.

He just kept talking and talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic so that no one had a chance to interrupt it was really quite hypnotic...

The ignorant hysteria surrounding Nuclear power in a time when we need it the most.

CO2 levels higher than ever before? "WE DON'T CARE, BECAUSE WE'RE SCARED!!"

The ignorant hysteria surrounding Nuclear power in a time when we need it the most.

I totally agree. In fact, nuclear power is one of the safest forms of power there is as long as you don't build it in a bloody disaster-prone area.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

Thank you!

NO Nuclear plant is built like Chernobyl anymore.

Yeah nuclear power is incredibly safe so long as you ignore the slow decaying waste it produces. :|

Yeah nuclear power is incredibly safe so long as you ignore the slow decaying waste it produces. :|

Which can be greatly reduced or eliminated if the new reactor designs ever manage to get past the hippies and start getting built.

Heck, we're running out of space probe fuel because there's actually a SHORTAGE of Plutonium.

He just kept talking and talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic so that no one had a chance to interrupt it was really quite hypnotic...

I personally believe that we should be going whole hog into renewable energy sources. If you can "run out" of something, then that's not a viable energy source in my opinion.

The sun will only be a viable option for another few billion years, so technically it can run out :P

Well fusion power doesn't. If we can get that to work then we're in the clear

I personally believe that we should be going whole hog into renewable energy sources. If you can "run out" of something, then that's not a viable energy source in my opinion.

The sun will only be a viable option for another few billion years, so technically it can run out :P

Hehehe...The human race would've far evolved beyond the point of Homo sapiens by that point. :)

Which can be greatly reduced or eliminated if the new reactor designs ever manage to get past the hippies and start getting built.

Heck, we're running out of space probe fuel because there's actually a SHORTAGE of Plutonium.

Just what exactly is this new reactor design that will greatly reduce or eliminate nuclear waste?

Space probe's wouldn't be able to even use up 0.1% of the current nuclear waste. And the space programs around the world are in a decline, so lets not even go there.

I would like to know about this new reactor design too.

I think it is more likely that it is cheaper and easier to keep the old reactors

instead of building new ones or upgrade the old ones and not some 'hippies'

who would actually be for nuclear power if it wouldn't be for the waste.

To change every reactor would be a huge investment. It takes time to pull of

all the propaganda to make people believe it is good to pay triple again.

The companies would not want to pay for the building process themself, they

would have to do more lobbywork to get government subsidies and since nearly

all western countries are on the verge of a possible financial collapse, I doubt

that this will happen.

In fact why should it? We already got working reactors and after a year

everyone will have forgotten about it anyway... :|

After Chernobyl, here in germany they said that they would close all the nuclear

plants in something like 15 years at that time.

Just this week they said they would close the plants in the next 11 years...

So another hidden danger in our daily world be that people tend to forget to fast.

Either from information overflow, wrong priorities or simple indifference.

So another hidden danger in our daily world be that people tend to forget to fast.

Either from information overflow, wrong priorities or simple indifference.

Keep in mind that companies, organizations and governments work on a longer time scale than citizens do. The problems of the previous generations for us are not our priorities, we weren't there, and we are quite likely not even aware of them. Of course that means that any group with even the most basic mission plan can get what they want so long as they can stall for time.

And yes, indifference. The tried and true medicine for which is loss.

Sign in to follow this  

This website uses cookies, as do most websites since the 90s. By using this site, you consent to cookies. We have to say this or we get in trouble. Learn more.