The Worst Weather You've Seen

Sign in to follow this  

Driving through the dead center of a desert thunderstorm in Arizona. The clouds were so thick that at 4:30 in the afternoon, it was as dark as midnight. There was a lightning strike in every direction every few seconds. The air was so charged that even in the car the hairs on your arms and neck stood up from the static. Rain was falling so heavily the windshield wipers couldn't keep our vision clear enough to drive faster than 30 MPH.

Was it a severe thunderstorm, or just a very powerful regular one?

Do you feel blame? Are you mad? Uh, do you feel like wolf kabob Roth vantage? Gefrannis booj pooch boo jujube; bear-ramage. Jigiji geeji geeja geeble Google. Begep flagaggle vaggle veditch-waggle bagga?

Was it at 4:30, or at half past 4?

picard-sigh1.jpg

Do you feel blame? Are you mad? Uh, do you feel like wolf kabob Roth vantage? Gefrannis booj pooch boo jujube; bear-ramage. Jigiji geeji geeja geeble Google. Begep flagaggle vaggle veditch-waggle bagga?

Epsilon, I believe alphabetagamma is trying to point out the redundancy of your post.

picard-sigh1.jpg

I was trying to demonstrate how both options were essentially the same.

How so? Strong thunderstorms (unless they turn severe) can't produce tornadoes, large hail, or damaging winds in excess of 60 MPH. Severe thunderstorms can.

Driving through the dead center of a desert thunderstorm in Arizona. The clouds were so thick that at 4:30 in the afternoon, it was as dark as midnight. There was a lightning strike in every direction every few seconds. The air was so charged that even in the car the hairs on your arms and neck stood up from the static. Rain was falling so heavily the windshield wipers couldn't keep our vision clear enough to drive faster than 30 MPH.

I still remember, my family was scared shitless yet I was having the time of my life. Never seen anything like it before and was in awe.

This is about as extreme as it's ever gotten for me. I don't travel much and living in S Cali the most I ever get are hot weather and Earthquakes.

Ah, so you got caught in the yearly squall... (I lived in the Phoenix area for 7 years)

I was the only person on the road that drove the speed limit during those, except if we still had some snowbirds, they went the limit in it too.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

We have some severe thunderstorms possibly headed our way.. from WSBTV: "At 154 pm cdt, national weather service doppler radar indicated a severe thunderstorm capable of producing damaging winds in excess of 60 mph. This storm was located near piedmont, moving northeast at 30 mph.

Locations impacted include, tennala, mars hills, moshat, oak level, spring garden, ellisville, borden springs, howells crossroads, waterhouse and fullerton.

Precautionary/preparedness actions,

Severe thunderstorms produce damaging wind in excess of 60 miles per hour, destructive hail, deadly lightning, and very heavy rain. For your protection move to an interior room on the lowest floor of your home or business. Heavy rains flood roads quickly so do not drive into areas where water covers the road."

Why would you move to an interior room on the lowest floor when it's just a severe thunderstorm, especially when it's not even tornadic?

Why would you move to an interior room on the lowest floor when it's just a severe thunderstorm, especially when it's not even tornadic?

Because weather forecasters aren't engineers, they don't know that buildings are designed to protect you with outer walls and ceilings from most forms of severe weather.

Ooh, a thunderstorm just came through, but I don't think it was severe.. it was *very* windy though.. blew a volleyball in my pool (which is in my backyard) through my front yard into my driveway.. I saw it flying across my lawn.

If I ever saw that while driving, I'd be doing 120 to get away from it.

Why? There's no funnel clouds in that, so no tornadoes.

Mamattus clouds are a very good Pre-tornado sign. About as good a warning as when Zork tells you "You are likely to be eaten by a Grue."

He just kept talking and talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic so that no one had a chance to interrupt it was really quite hypnotic...

Mamattus clouds are a very good Pre-tornado sign. About as good a warning as when Zork tells you "You are likely to be eaten by a Grue."

True, but there's no point worrying about them until funnel clouds start showing. That's when it gets interesting... :twisted:

True, but there's no point worrying about them until funnel clouds start showing. That's when it gets interesting... :twisted:

I don't know... seeing this would be pretty eery.

cloudsforetelltornado-752110-sw.jpg

That pic has a funnel in it. (it's pretty hard to see though)

Consider it a visual representation of how likely Mammatus clouds (however you spell it) are to produce tornadoes. :mrgreen:

Consider it a visual representation of how likely Mammatus clouds (however you spell it) are to produce tornadoes. :mrgreen:

Those clouds are about 100x more likely to produce funnel clouds than funnel clouds are to produce a ground strike tornado.

Those clouds are about 100x more likely to produce funnel clouds than funnel clouds are to produce a ground strike tornado.

For me, "funnel cloud" and "tornado" are synonymous. Either way, sirens are going off and you're panicking.

For me, "funnel cloud" and "tornado" are synonymous. Either way, sirens are going off and you're panicking.

Tornado touches the ground and can cause damage.

Funnel clouds do not touch the ground, and never cause damage.

Tornado touches the ground and can cause damage.

Funnel clouds do not touch the ground, and never cause damage.

Yeah, I know...

I just panic (or would panic) either way. :/

Yeah, I know...

I just panic (or would panic) either way. :/

Your loss... It's awesome weather to watch...