Can't take the heat

Sign in to follow this  

Hey people, some bad news. My videocard (Geforce 8800 GTS) is pretty consistently overheating. I tried to borrow a cheap one so I could keep working (Radeon X300 SE), but then THAT keeps overheating as well (to be fair that one doesn't even have a fan, just a heatsink). Even though my case air flow is pretty good and I have an air conditioner running keeping the room in the mid 70s, this is definitely a heat problem. Besides video artifacts and system freezing in 3d applications, the heatsink on the Geforce has been getting so hot it can burn me.

I plan to order a custom cooler for the card since I don't have a lot of extra cash to be blowing on a new videocard, but what this means is for the time being I can't work on much of anything video-related because I risk the computer freezing up in 3D applications. So this means no animation work on Civil Protection, and no in-game footage for Freeman's Mind. I'll try and catch up on replying to emails and managing subtitles in the meantime.

EDIT:

Many people are offering to donate me money. That would be great, but I'm not doing that at this time for two reasons:

1. Having some sort of donate button requires modifications to the site, I don't know web programming and right now the person helping me modify the site has been very busy to get everything underway (there's a lot of behind the scenes stuff that needs fixing). I plan to follow up some emails from people who have contacted me about website before to hopefully get some stuff underway.

2. If you guys are donating, I want to have a little more to show for it. Basically get a bunch of minor improvements here working. Being able to browse old posts, a better commenting system, more subtitles, putting scripts up, alternate shots, having episodes available in more formats besides WMV, maybe director's commentary stuff, etc.

no worries it cant be helped its not as if ur getting paid for this so im happy to wait and so should every one else. and no one can expect u to blow money u dont have on a video card.

Jaffa

Eh, dammit. I can only wish you good luck in getting decent cooler or maybe finding whole new GTX card lying somewhere on the street

Hey Ross hope the cooling fixes the problem. I had the same thing happen a few months ago with the 8600. Hope the extra cooling works as a temp solution.

Oh and just to make a immature comment: "NO EXCUSSIS! I WANT FREEMAN NOWWWWWW!!!!! I ALSO WANT A CHOCOLATE MILK!!!!!"

Good luck Ross. =)

that sucks..... well good luck,and get freeman's mind ready as soon as you can!

I am here to leave a comment. I will wait with bated breath, only because these series are amazingly awesome!!!

Man, that sucks. No worrys, though. We can wait. I just can't find a good way to help other than to sit and wait. Hell, I'd let you borrow my Laptop if I could. Good luck though. We're still here.

Yeah, I noticed my fingers were burning from touching the 8600 GT a long while after I had it installed.

I like to think my air flow is good though. I've unscrewed the lids on both sides of the case and in a way

that the fan can still reach the miniature ventilation shaft. I sort of guessed it was normal after it maintained

that temperature for so long. Lemme just give it another touch to see if it's still that hot....

Hmm, actually it's not. Probably because I'm not running anything. Don't worry though, It may have left a

sting on my finger but I honestly think it's okay for it to be that hot. It's not that way now but I know it

raises when I start up the computer or run a game for a while and it's been fully functional for years.

Hey Ross, shame to hear about the card but maybe you could get a donations page or a members and non members page very close to what Rooster Teeth does?

Actually, I have a perfectly functional Radeon X1950 lying around. I upgraded my video card recently and haven't sold the old one.

I'd be happy to donate it to the Cause, since I'm too lazy to eBay it. Where should I e-mail to set something up?

Naawh..

*gives watercooling*

It should have left the rocket propulsion test chamber,

and good luck in making things work!

No expert on this, but I know driver problems can do that to hardware (a-la overclocking). Hell, nVidia just recently released drivers that made a lot of people's card overheat and die...

...You're not using those, are you?

If your air conditioner has been running since the mid-70s, I should worry about *that* being overheated.

And the power bill.

Ok, seriously... maybe you could take it as an indication that you should take a couple of days off. Or not. Just borrow a video card from Flanders. And never return it.

that same thing just happended to my 9800 gt!

i had to send it in to get it repaired, it seems my problem was that the fan melted and now it overheats.

but thats o.k. just take your time.

This was my lesson to make sure you have the warrantee straight and ready in case of failure. AND make sure your entire life doesn't revolve around the computer, so you're not humming to yourself in a fetal position while it's in for repairs.

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Time to go to the donut shop and chill out or build your own nirtogen bath.

keep cool.