Can't take the heat

Sign in to follow this  

xD i thought that he meant i can't take so many people liking my series

hope you get it fix fast

Man, that really sucks. My video card on my old computer burned itself up. So, I couldn't really do anything. Now I'm using a friends computer, and it has an overheating video card that overheats when I watch YouTube, so, I know overheating video cards can be a problem. Sorry, man.

This is why we want you to accept donations.

Trey

oh well stuff like that happens dont worry to much most of your fans understand, it cant be helped

Ross! Face It! WE CAN HELP YOU AND YOU KNOW IT! Make a Donations page and let people do what they want to help you! :/ I mean, you're NOT taking our Money, we're GIVING it to you! Thank of it as your funds for your videos or a budget. There's no such thing as taking money when you have the right mind to use it effectivly.

i have an extra 8800GT

i could spare it, but i'm not sure it's worth it to send it to america

what a shame i'm not american

oh noes! well, at least we know your serious about civil protection. it really matters

Ever thought of throwing up a paypal and having people donate? I know its not really the best option, but if we throw like $5 bucks per person, thatll add up really freakin quick.

I have the same problem with my 8800 GT but I can play using an overclocking program ("EVGA Precision") to "underclock" my graphic card. So I can play every games with high quality settings without crashing!

I hope this can solve your problem...

Have you tried to remove dust from the card?

People second guessing me: I worked in IT for several years in the past. It's a big case and has good ventilation. I already cleaned it out for dust. It's a stock cooler, the thermal paste is obviously working, otherwise the heatsink wouldn't be so hot. It's unlikely to be a driver problem because the heatsink is getting really, really hot. It is the videocard, because I've only been having in 3D applications, I can run other intensive applications without any trouble.

Donation people: I plan to set up a donation button at some point, but that would require a modification to the website and right now the guy working on it is too busy. I plan to follow up some emails to try and get more help on that.

I've ordered a cooling kit, work will resume once it gets here. I'm really behind on emails anyway.

A) put your 8800 back in and download/install the Nvidia system tools, http://www.nvidia.com/object/nvidia_system_tools_6.03.html

B) open up the NVidia control panel, select "performance" then select "device settings" and finally "gpu"

C) find the "New Rule..." box and click it.

D) Define the "controlled element" as "GPU Fan" and the "Input source" as "GPU1 Temperature"

E) click and drag all the little points on the graph waaaay up. It doesn't matter how hard you work the fan, it won't damage anything- but it will make some noise...

F) click "Ok" and "Save to profile"

Ta-da! hope it works out

get everyone in the US to send you a dollar!

you got the funniest videos on the internett and i dont care if it takes a year between them. we want quality! not quantity!!

- from your fans in Norway!! (u got alot of them here)

Sometimes a new heatsink is a good move, especially when these GPU manufacturers try to clock them so high. Good luck on it, from what I read the 8800 cards are really good as far as quality. Best of luck to you, Sam.

Actually Ross, if every single fan of your series gave $1 then... well i dont know how many fans exactly but i know you would be able to buy Nvidia Geforce GTX 480, 10x or even more and they cost like $500

aww dam. oh wellz. TRUE fans can wait btw if u did have a donating button i would donate the deed to my house

Hey Ross,

Sorry to hear about the GPU problem. I've been amazingly lucky with my 7900 GTX (yes, I still use one...I'm cheap), runs at 40°C idle and only 60°C at full load, this is with only 50% fan speed. But this does come at the cost of shitty performance in newer games, obviously.

I will wait patiently for you to get things back on track. Your work has been a great escape from the harsh reality I live in currently, so thank you very much for making my life a lot more bearable.

But speaking of donations, a while ago I read a comment to an old news post that made the idea of using some funny "bloopers" (like at the end of a video fx.). I think this idea is brilliant and if it isn't too much work for you and you get enough funny bloopers to make it work, I would easily donate for such content. As cheap as they are, bloopers just make me laugh...

Have you ever had any mistakes in Freemans mind or civil protection that did not include Freemans mind episode 10.5?

Ross, could you please inform us what kind of GTS it is?

Originally (early 2007) Nvidia made the 8800GTS 320mb... then later the 8800GTS 640mb same card, just different memory.

THEN in December 2007, the 8800GTS 512 was released -- this is a vastly superior and totally different card and has the G92 core. To differentiate this card from the "old" ones that only happen to bear the same name, people started calling it the G92 GTS or the GTS 512.

I myself have a G92 GTS (stock cooler) and the core temperature is roughly 52 degrees at 37% fan speed (which is the default speed). I have a good, large airy case with two 120mm fans on the side (blowing directly onto the card), one in the front and one for exhaust, but my room gets very hot - in a more "normal" room the temp would be lower...

Having two fans on the side blowing in air onto the card helps a lot. The fans I got run at approx 1200 RPM.

As others have written, try adjusting the fan speed in RivaTuner if you haven't already.

On a sidenote, the 9800GTX is identical to the 8800GTS 512... same core (G92)... just different clocks, and that difference is very tiny.

Oh yeah, I also want to add, that while it's indeed unlikely that the drivers are causing extra heat, it is possible. I'm running 182.50 (official nvidia). You can try installing Xtreme-G's modified drivers (Tweakforce) -- it may help.