Can't take the heat

Sign in to follow this  

you dont need a video card to play HL1 or HL2! (the source engine requires very little in the way of graphics...) What is probbaly over heating is your processor. You can adjust it in the BIOS, but it may slow your computer down...

Once i had trouble with this once, you might just want to get a reasonably big fan and blow t in your PC's direction, that should help pretty well. hope that helped:)

I used to have overheating issues with my video card, GeForce 6800 GS, but what I did was I removed my video card, I removed every single screw, until I could get acces to the video card GPU and I found clumps of dust behind the fan as well as under the GPU. I removed all of the dust, removed the old thermal paste with a q-tip, and re-applied new thermal paste, I put the card back together and it took the card from running 100-120C (232 Farenheight) which was whenever I played any kind of 3d game down to a normal temperature of around 38C (100F) and I haven't had any issues with it since. You should definitely try this, just be sure to have thermal paste on hand and apply it properly, too much thermal paste is bad, tutorials/guides online help a lot if you haven't done it before.

Hey man, depending on where your CPU is, it may not have enough....Breathing room for lack of better term.

If your Cpu is exposed you may be able to point a small desk fan at it to cool it off. Otherwise maybe the vents are clogged with dust(Thats how my Graf card burnt out).

Hopes this helps a little...

I admire how youre so dedicated to all of this. It shows how great of a person you are and will work at it and never give up. Me and many others would love to donate to you, you have an amazing creative mind that has yet to be 'discovered' yet by the big guys. I hope all starts looking up for you, and i wish you the best of luck. <3

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118037

This is a fantastic heat sink. I just replaced the stock heat sink on my 8600GTS with this one, and it dropped load temps from 60 to 40 degrees Celsius instantly. Also comes with a fan speed controller. ~$60, but it'll give your card new life. Those stock sinks aren't all that great after awhile.

Don't get all humble here. Think about it logically:

1) This overheating issue is making it difficult to work on CP and FM and causing delays.

2) People really like CP and FM, and are constantly clamouring for more.

3) Thus, the overheating issue involves the fans too.

4) The natural response: fans want to help fix the problem, either (or both) by giving advice or by donating to replace the troublesome technology.

Another way to look at it is this: When Gordon couldn't open the door in episode _ (because he didn't have clearance), he got a scientist to help him. Granted, you're not in quite the same position, but the moral remains the same: when you're trapped between a rock and a hard place, don't spurn Heracles' help!

Now, there's always the option of setting up a PayPal account. All you'd need to do is post a link to it in a message (but maybe writing e.g. rossscottATwhateverDOTcom (rather than using the "@" symbol and ".")

Also, more formats and the script thing would be a VERY good draw for donating, and don't require as much in-game work. As such, they would likely take somewhat less time and energy.

Ross Scott has a heart of gold.

Director's commentary will be GREAT!!! Please do one on the next Civil Protection

Oh come now Ross, you already do plenty. You already deserve a lot of donations, there's no need to do more. It would certainly be appreciated, but we don't want you to overwork yourself.

You can buy a new better cooling fan you might

wanna think about water system cooling

It does some realy great work cooling your system

But I don't know the price over there

Anonymous at 18:57:34:

His video card is overheating.

D: You can use my computer

just cheaked back in and noticed that I spelt nitrogen wrong, that sucks. but the other thing was after reading all the comments that your fans really want you to do well and I was wondering if you could tell us what we can do to help if donating is out?

That's too bad im getting really excited for the new episodes. Good luck and hope the problems are fixed.

Re your second reason: the market determines the value, that's the beauty of a donations-approach.

Is there a treshold here: do you need at least a certain amount of donations before going for it?

Is there a certain level of quality you need to reach? But then again: you already have an audience willing to donate.

If you add other kinds of content, fine, but that may not nessecarily bring in more donations.

Just some thoughts, not to preach or anything

let someone donate a nicely cooled graphics card to you

If You put a donate button, You surely got my money right away Would feel good to donate for all that entertainment You gave us...

Damn! I didn't usually get involved in the whole donations thing. But, I have to say, it does sound like you could use some extra cash. A lot you could use it for I guess.

Man, I'd pay for directors commentary for Freeman's Mind or Civil Protection. I'm just a whore for that sort of thing, I suppose.