Bioshock

Sign in to follow this  

Marketing seems like the biggest reason in my opinion. Those loose references and nods don't cut it for me as major reasons (in fact, aside from a couple, they felt forced and all-too general to properly tie Infinite with the other 2 games), and the gameplay changes they made this time around really tear Infinite away from 1 and 2 in that respect as well.

I used the pistol and volley gun the most with bucking bronco and undertow (easy headshots with the pistol). The gameplay changes made the others really lackluster for me to use frequently and the lack of charged variety also made them feel dull compared to previous Plasmids.

I too didn't like how the upgrades had no visual flair. I get the reasoning,

since you switch guns on the field, it'd be unfitting for all the guns you swap to magically have the same upgrades

but that was also one of the changes I disliked with Infinite.

I stuck almost exclusively to the Hand Cannon and possession. (the HC was 1-hitting almost everything that wasn't heavily armored at almost any range, and the only enemy I couldn't deal with using it exclusively was the Firemen)

You may not have noticed, but there are some very small cosmetic changes to your guns as you level them up. (I noticed a change in the gold trim on my Hand Cannon at the second or third upgrade)

The official "reason" for using the same name was because they said that 'Bioshock' is a style, not a series name. (it really was because they would get a lot more sales for using the same name)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Oh, and EA and Bioware, this was an example of how to pull off a "lots of speculations" ending.

"That which you do not know, is not a moral charge against you; but that which you refuse to know, is an account of infamy growing in your soul. Make every allowance for errors of knowledge; do not forgive or accept any breach of morality."

So I started 1999 mode the other day and am about 2/3rds the way through. I found Charge this time and have been using that A LOT more than I expected since it's basically drill dash and I abused that in Bioshock 2. There's plenty of gear that makes this vigor a boss in most situations, not to mention the upgrades. I don't get why other players bash it so much for being useless. Also, 1999 mode isn't nearly as hard as I expected it to be. It just feels like an extra-hard mode, but even then the shield can take a fair beating without any upgrades. Ammo and restorative items are just as plentiful as they were before, and the AI doesn't seem like it's any more aggressive than it is in hard mode. If it is, I haven't noticed the change outside of more resistive enemies that can hit harder.

Also, I had a funny moment during the part of the game where

You're going through the Golden Club in Fink

and I somehow unlocked two achievements at once without even trying.

Played up to that shitty Lady Comstock ghost bullshit on 1999 mode. Annoyed me so much I don't even care about the ending any more.

Played up to that shitty Lady Comstock ghost bullshit on 1999 mode. Annoyed me so much I don't even care about the ending any more.

The upgraded Charge vigor came in real handy for those fights. You can usually take her out before the enemies can touch your life bar...

The upgraded Charge vigor came in real handy for those fights. You can usually take her out before the enemies can touch your life bar...

I saved most of my money for reviving so I didn't get booted back to a checkpoint, I got a couple of gun upgrades and one upgrade on the Return To Sender vigour so there's no going back now.

Trainers work well in 1999 mode.

I saved most of my money for reviving so I didn't get booted back to a checkpoint, I got a couple of gun upgrades and one upgrade on the Return To Sender vigour so there's no going back now.

Huh, I find that peculiar. Some of my pet peeves about 1999 mode were how they kept the recharging shield and reviving system when few games from 1999 incorporated these things (I don't remember any off the top of my head). I refused to get revived in mid battle in 1999 mode and always chose to reset the game from checkpoints when I died because the penalty wasn't worth it imo.

I don't get why, aside from those two moments in the game, that Infinite needs the Bioshock name. Did I miss other hints that tie the Rapture universe with the Columbia one?

The two moments I'm referring to are the lighthouse in the beginning and the short spring through Rapture at the end.

There are some audio logs that heavily imply that some of Columbia's technologies are plagiarized from Rapture. In particular, Songbird is implied to have been based on the Big Daddies.

There are some audio logs that heavily imply that some of Columbia's technologies are plagiarized from Rapture. In particular, Songbird is implied to have been based on the Big Daddies.

From the dates in which the games take place, I think you've got that backwards.

The Tears don't just travel between alternate universes, they also travel through time. For example, the first time you see Elizabeth opening a tear to a city, it's Paris in the 80s.

From the dates in which the games take place, I think you've got that backwards.

The tears are through time as well, that's why you can occasionally hear music from the 80's and 90's thoguh tears and stuff like that. Did you not listen to the audio logs?

I don't get why, aside from those two moments in the game, that Infinite needs the Bioshock name. Did I miss other hints that tie the Rapture universe with the Columbia one?

The two moments I'm referring to are the lighthouse in the beginning and the short spring through Rapture at the end.

And those implications just feel like additional efforts to shoe-horn similarities between the different universes (granted its not as bad as that one fan-theory about Songbird that recently came up). They could've easily tied Infinite in with Uncharted or any other game if the right audio logs were present.

I'm still unconvinced that this game fits in naturally with the other two games based on the narrative and gameplay styles.