Bioshock

Sign in to follow this  

Apparently there was no Bioshock thread in this section(shame on you), so I just went ahead and made one.

Lets talk Infinite. So at first I was really skeptical when I heard that BS:I isn't going to be set in Rapture. After seeing the teaser I didn't resent the idea of going away from Rapture anymore. And after seeing the 10minute demo I am really excited about it and fully accept the changes that come with it(new setting, different universe, no more total loneliness like you had in Rapture, no silent protagonist ect.). And every next penny I get, I am going to lock away so I can preorder the game without any fear of not having any money.

Also I just saw this video where Ken Levine, Nate Wells and Shawn Robertson discuss the making of the 10minute demo(good stuff).

Link: http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/bioshock-infinite/video/6330059/bioshock-infinite--making-the-e3-demo

And here is also a pretty interesting article from PC Gamer about how Elizabeth's character is partly shaped from Ken Levine's experience of dating a girl with the same problem: http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/10/13/bioshock-infinites-elizabeth-shaped-by-ken-levines-experiences/

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

BS2, in my opinion, felt like a stretch to get more story out of that place, although the game and its expansion were fun because it was the same stuff we saw in the first BS. The enemies weren't nearly as threatening this time around since we'd seen many of them in the last game and the general gameplay felt very recycled, right down to the repeated plasmids and weapon selection. So, I'm very happy to see this Franchise going away from Rapture, because then it'll (hopefully) mean that most everything will be new.

I probably won't pre-order it, though. The last few games that I paid full MSRP for dropped in price within a month of their releases, and I'd rather wait and save than spend and regret spending the extra money.

Bioshock lost most of its awesomeness when I found out about System Shock 2 TBH :(

Why's that? Because you played SS2 and had a lot more fun? Or because you thought less of Bioshock's uniqueness when you learned about SS2?

If it's the latter, that sucks; it shouldn't really change the fact that Bioshock was a fun game.

It's the latter, the reason I liked Bioshock so much was because I loved how unique it was. After finding out about SS2 I just felt as if I'd been ripped off.

Darn that Yahtzee :P (I'm guessing that's where you found out about the similarity; my apologies if I'm wrong). I wonder how many Bioshock players knew about SS2 before that Zero Punctuation review aired... I know I did, but I didn't mind the Infinite similarities between the two games and enjoyed them both. IIRC, both games were released at times where the FPS market was really stagnate across the board, and both games were a nice refreshing change in pace.

System Shock 2 is a great game, despite its age. Anyone who enjoyed Bioshock should try and find a way to play it.

As for Bioshock: Infinite...well I enjoyed the original Bioshock, but I've yet to play the second one, however it doesn't look like the two games (Bioshock 2 and Infinite) are very connected.

Feel free to PM me about almost anything and I'll do my best to answer. :)

"Beware of what you ask for, for it may come to pass..."

Infinite is the prequel. From what I've heard it takes place on the surface before rapture.

And I've played, AND LOVE, both games. idc what it may be similar to, I love it and nothing will change that.

Retired Forum Moderator

From what I'VE heard Infinite doesn't even take place in the same universe as BS1&2.

As for the SS2 thing, I actually tried playing it once but I kept getting Errors & system crashes very early on into the game. Anycrash, I might check it out sometime in the future though, however I don't think it will make me think any less of Bioshock. Because one of the biggest factors I love it so much is the setting, I love Rapture. And I have gotten very attached to the world so even if SS2 is practically the same game but in space I probably wont be favoring it over Bioshock.

As for my opinions on BS2. Like I said, I have gotten very attached to the whole world of Rapture and love Bioshock in general. So to me BS2 is pretty much more of the same. But I can definitely see from a different perspective why the game really isn't that good. You being a Big Daddy, a unique and special big daddy too, makes everything less scary. And besides Multiplayer and a different story it is very much the same as the first game. But, I do actually think Multiplayer was a welcome addition and even though it has some issues I can still very much enjoy it(the combination between plasmids and weapons makes for fun strategies).

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

System Shock 2 is very old, getting it running on a modern PC is a bit of a challenge, but there are websites out there that explain how. I got it to run widescreen at my native screen resolution of 1680x1050.

And why would playing System Shock 2 make you think anything less of Bioshock? Both are great games (and I enjoyed both)! :D

Feel free to PM me about almost anything and I'll do my best to answer. :)

"Beware of what you ask for, for it may come to pass..."

I bought Bioshock for my PS3 because it looked so unique and awesome, then when I came on AF I found out about SS2. Now when I play Bioshock it doesn't feel special because the gameplay is exactly the same as SS except worse, no RPG elements, no inventory, bad horror and far more linear level design.

Not really. The biggest change in gameplay is the fact that you can dual wield a weapon and plasmid at the same time (whereas in Bioshock you had to switch between the two). Also, the little sister mechanics changed slightly, but it still comes down to an oversimplified moral choice system. If you didn't like the first one, you probably wouldn't like the second one since it's just more of it.

Edit: almost forgot about hacking. It's now more or less a quick time event as opposed to that pipe puzzle it was before.

I liked the story of the first game but didn't have enough interest to play the second as it seemed like a rehash of most things. I've got to say though that I'm really excited about infinite. The 15min gameplay demo shown at e3 got me hooked straight away, especially for an early build.

I loved Bioshock one and it's Objectivist undertones. Great, great, somewhat philosophical, game.

Bioshock 2, in hindsight, was terrible. The Objectivist undertones were gone, and it just wasn't fun.

Bioshock Infinite looks way too fast paced for me. Although it might be a little interesting, seeing the dead body on the sidewalk with a "capitalist pig" sign taped to his shirt.

I loved Bioshock one and it's Objectivist undertones. Great, great, somewhat philosophical, game.

Bioshock 2, in hindsight, was terrible. The Objectivist undertones were gone, and it just wasn't fun.

Bioshock Infinite looks way too fast paced for me. Although it might be a little interesting, seeing the dead body on the sidewalk with a "capitalist pig" sign taped to his shirt.

Well, I guess you had already explored Rapture and its politics in the first game doing it again in the second game would be kind of useless.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The problem I had with Bioshock was that while it may have been thematically interesting, the whole experience was dumbed down by ludicrous and unfun gameplay.

I disagree, I enjoyed it. I liked using stupid Plasmid and weapon combinations. I guess it isn't really RPG like SystemShock 2 seems to be, but fun nonetheless.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯