Personal Life Problems, Help Needed

Sign in to follow this  

I guess I'll start:

A while back my grandma gave me a laptop because my computer broke (had it for 9 years, it died of hard drive failure, it was nothing I could stop). This laptop was bought in 2005 and she didn't have a use for it anymore. It was top of the line then, so it pretty much runs anything simple just fine (it has a 2.77 GHZ processor and a gig of ram). Anyway, the power receiver (if it is called that) broke due to me actually using it and I told her the problem. Now, I have intimate knowledge in computer hardware and have worked on crap like this before. She knows that and still she insisted on going to a computer place where we would be overcharged for sure. That is pretty much where things are at for now.

Hi Friend.

Ehm. Not sure exactly what to make of this, except that elderly people tend to be more structured and tend to prefer the "official" channels.

I bring you mortal danger and cookies. Not necessarily in that order.

http://www.youtube.com/jclc

Once old people make decisions, it's best to just step back out of the way. There's no shifting them from their chosen course of action.

Heck, I remember watching an episode of "Cops" where this about 80-year-old lady calls the cops because she thinks a burglar is hiding in her shed. (He was.) Once the cops get there, she decides to open the shed for them. The cops ask her not to, to stay back and let them handle it. She completely ignores them like she's been suddenly struck deaf, trundles over and opens the shed. Gets nearly bowled over by the fleeing burglar. Could have broken a hip at least.

This is why when people are totally ignoring good advice, I call it being in "old lady mode."

He just kept talking and talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic so that no one had a chance to interrupt it was really quite hypnotic...

Ugh... I know this... Just tell her you fixed it already and pay for the replacement part yourself if you want to save her £200+ of overcharge >_>

Ugh... I know this... Just tell her you fixed it already and pay for the replacement part yourself if you want to save her £200+ of overcharge >_>

And now I know where you really live :twisted:

"When a son is born, the father will go up to the newborn baby, sword in hand; throwing it down, he says, "I shall not leave you with any property: You have only what you can provide with this weapon."

I'd have told you if you asked!

-back on topic-

I'd just let her do what she wants, even if it means getting overcharged. As said before, old people rarely change their minds.

I know her postal code. Okay, I saw her postal code. Keeping it would have felt a little weird. :lol:

So... How does this work, I think we pretty much covered the grandma situation. Should we propose another problem and ask for advice?

I bring you mortal danger and cookies. Not necessarily in that order.

http://www.youtube.com/jclc

Some problems are big enough that need a whole topic, some aren't so I really don't know...

''Almost everything–all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure–these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important.'' - Steve Jobs

I just found out that my grandpa has gehric's decease, the doctor says that he has 3 years left and for those of you who don't know what it is its a genetic disorder that cases all you muscles to brake down slowly until you can't move or speak or even breath on your own then your hart no longer has the strength to beat and throw out all this your mind stays as sharp as ever which is almost as bad because you can fully fell you loss and suffering. And because it's genetic I might get it some day.

There is no cure, there is no hope, so how in God's name can I cope?

non-euclidean fuck machine

My sincere sympathy for you.

You might want to spend some time with him for now. With time you might somehow contribute to the cure of this disease.

I just googled the disease and found this, I hope your grandpa is one of he lucky ones:

According to the ALS Association, about half of all people with ALS live at least 3 years after they find out they have the disease, and 20% (or 1 in 5) live 5 years or more. As many as 10% will survive more than 10 years.

Stephen Hawking has been living with Lou Gehrig's disease for about 40 years — ever since his diagnosis at age 21. He is the most famous long-term survivor of the disease. Born in England, Hawking is a famous physicist who furthered our understanding of the universe. He has written a lot of books, including the bestseller A Brief History of Time. He has done these things despite being confined to a wheelchair for more than 20 years, being able to move only a few fingers, and needing a voice synthesizer and special computer to speak and write.

Hawking, who has a wife and three children, once said, "The prospect of a short life made me want to do more. I realized life was good, and there was a great deal I wanted to do."

Living with Lou Gehrig's disease is physically difficult, but it is reassuring to know that the mind is not affected. People with the disease can think as clearly as ever, are able to maintain relationships with friends and family, and should be treated respectfully and normally.

Communication can be difficult because the disease affects the person's breathing and the muscles needed for speech and arm movement. With patience, the families of patients with ALS can learn to communicate effectively with their loved one.

Researchers continue to study ALS as they try to understand why it happens, and how the disease damages the motor neurons in the brain and spinal cord. As they learn more about the disease, researchers can continue to develop new and better treatments.

Stephen Hawking said, "[ALS] has not prevented me from having a very attractive family, and being successful in my work . . . I have been lucky that my condition has progressed more slowly than is often the case. But it shows that one need not lose hope."

"When a son is born, the father will go up to the newborn baby, sword in hand; throwing it down, he says, "I shall not leave you with any property: You have only what you can provide with this weapon."