"Rosschinima"

Implying that it would help the series should Ross/ The FM team create "Rosschinima"  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Implying that it would help the series should Ross/ The FM team create "Rosschinima"

• Yes
    • No
    • maybe.

I was scrolling through the "Progress Bar" Thread, and Mk. 7 Said:

Fuck Machinima.

We have to create "Rosschinima"

I seconded it, and sullygass95 but his vote in. I thought it would be interesting to see how many people would be in on this..

For the record i have no former practice in creating websites or how to code anything.. :P

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Listen to us Live @ - http://www.spreaker.com/user/thebeatbox

------

DJ Highlander (Me) - The Collaboration Project

DJ Dexrith - The Metal Minute

DJ Fusion - The Broader Perspective Show

------

we take requests:

email us @ - [email protected]

well, i just read this thread viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2752.

aaaand i guess in hindsight this wasnt the best poll idea in the world..

i'm gonna leave it up. Mainly because i am curious as to how many people would go along with this.

------

------

we take requests:

If Ross wanted to create his own channel to host his videos he would have done it already. Just have a little patience, the wait between finishing and uploading is small compared to the creation of a full episode anyway. He also gets more views under machinima.

Getting his viewers to watch the vids at a different channel wouldn't be too hard. He could just say so or have a text box with his new channel at the beginning of a new Freeman's Mind episode. Anyone that watches Freeman's Mind JUST because its on machinima is not a true fan of the show.

Getting his viewers to watch the vids at a different channel wouldn't be too hard. He could just say so or have a text box with his new channel at the beginning of a new Freeman's Mind episode. Anyone that watches Freeman's Mind JUST because its on machinima is not a true fan of the show.

the only reason i go to machinimas channel and come to think of it even know it exists is for/because of freemands mind.

We've been over this. Ah, the great raids of Accursed Forum dwellers upon Machininma HQ....good times.

"That which you do not know, is not a moral charge against you; but that which you refuse to know, is an account of infamy growing in your soul. Make every allowance for errors of knowledge; do not forgive or accept any breach of morality."

Well I can only answer some things due to contract reasons, but I'd say it's unlikely I'll break from Machinima.com for several reasons:

1. I get a lot more views through them than I would on my own. I have a direct comparison of this. When I was working at Machinima.com I had to rush out the trailer to The Tunnel before it was ready, so it doesn't have sound effects, uses stock Half-Life music, etc. I ended up getting sound effects and custom music a couple hours later and released the modified one the next day and still link to that one from the site here. You can see for yourself the view difference:

Machinima.com version (as of time of post, 242k views):

Fixed version (as of time of post, 42k views):

Machinima.com is almost certainly the reason I have as many viewers as I do today, so they would have to do something really bad for me to want to split from them.

2. I do receive some money from them. I can't disclose how much, but if you earn minimum wage, you likely face similar economic restraints as I do. If my viewcount was reduced some 80% by being independent, I would have to work full time at some hell job again, which would mean less time for the videos. My main motivation isn't financial however, there are some movies I want to make regardless of what's happening. If things ever got really bad, I might put out an SOS to viewers to see if anyone wanted me to continue making videos in exchange for room and board.

3. In my entire experience with Machinima.com, I haven't seen anyone act outright malicious about anything. While I disagree with them on some things (like cancelling

), I see them mostly as just being very business driven and continually experimenting to earn more money. I think this is a common scenario with many studios. Production companies are typically interested foremost in what earns the most amount of money. Directors (or me anyway) are interested in what creates the best possible experience for the viewer. So it's a clashing value system at work, but I have about as much creative control with them as I would on my own anyway.

4. Machinima as a medium is a bastard child of copyright law and would merrily be sued into oblivion by some companies (or legislative acts) given the chance. Machinima.com has a lot of business relationships with game companies and Youtube, so they're the 800 pound gorilla to hide behind any potential legal problems, whereas taking down an independent's video is unfortunately not very hard these days.

Anyway, I'm not trying to discourage any discussion on this, just giving some more food for thought on it.

Well I can only answer some things due to contract reasons, but I'd say it's unlikely I'll break from Machinima.com for several reasons:

1. I get a lot more views through them than I would on my own. I have a direct comparison of this. When I was working at Machinima.com I had to rush out the trailer to The Tunnel before it was ready, so it doesn't have sound effects, uses stock Half-Life music, etc. I ended up getting sound effects and custom music a couple hours later and released the modified one the next day and still link to that one from the site here. You can see for yourself the view difference:

Machinima.com version (as of time of post, 242k views):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39JuqlysKeA

Fixed version (as of time of post, 42k views):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrOgETJi5Hk

Machinima.com is almost certainly the reason I have as many viewers as I do today, so they would have to do something really bad for me to want to split from them.

2. I do receive some money from them. I can't disclose how much, but if you earn minimum wage, you likely face similar economic restraints as I do. If my viewcount was reduced some 80% by being independent, I would have to work full time at some hell job again, which would mean less time for the videos. My main motivation isn't financial however, there are some movies I want to make regardless of what's happening. If things ever got really bad, I might put out an SOS to viewers to see if anyone wanted me to continue making videos in exchange for room and board.

3. In my entire experience with Machinima.com, I haven't seen anyone act outright malicious about anything. While I disagree with them on some things (like cancelling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZheZ9HzP5Y), I see them mostly as just being very business driven and continually experimenting to earn more money. I think this is a common scenario with many studios. Production companies are typically interested foremost in what earns the most amount of money. Directors (or me anyway) are interested in what creates the best possible experience for the viewer. So it's a clashing value system at work, but I have about as much creative control with them as I would on my own anyway.

4. Machinima as a medium is a bastard child of copyright law and would merrily be sued into oblivion by some companies (or legislative acts) given the chance. Machinima.com has a lot of business relationships with game companies and Youtube, so they're the 800 pound gorilla to hide behind any potential legal problems, whereas taking down an independent's video is unfortunately not very hard these days.

Anyway, I'm not trying to discourage any discussion on this, just giving some more food for thought on it.

Thank you for the insight, i really had no idea how many more views you were getting through Machinima; i dont want you to lose any viewers or money by creating your own site.

------

------

we take requests:

And that's why I've always defended Machinima. They give Ross exposition, promotion and safety. If you dislike them just because they release a ton of videos, then honestly, I don't think that's viable since you can subscribe to individual shows on YouTube nowadays and not the whole channel.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

I don't think you can use that Tunnel example as a reliable guage. Obviously any updated version of any show, released after the original, is going to receive less views than the original did, because people have already seen the show and have little reason to even consider seeking out alternative versions to watch it again. The fact that your fixed version STILL received 42k views even in spite of this shows that you do have your own following separate from that which Machinima seemingly provides. If the first version which Machinima uploaded didn't exist, the other one's views would have undoubtedly been even higher.

I also think it's quite likely that you are the sole reason that a lot of people subscribe to Machinima in the first place. If you weren't there, THEY are unlikely to receive as many views. I mean, let's be realistic, just about everything else they show is utter garbage.

You probably have more insight than just that Tunnel example, and know other stuff that we don't, but yeah. I still think you give yourself too little credit.

I didn't realise you had copyright trouble either, aside from audio related stuff, which I thought you had already sorted. At least I think that was you.

My Little Pointy: Friendship Is Stabbing - http://i.imgur.com/Qz1bx.jpg

Yeah, I think we all can agree that Ross Scott makes the best stuff on Machinima.

Hey now, Kootra ain't too bad.

Don't forget "All Your History".

But yeah, personally I wouldn't know about those if it wasn't for Ross.

Maybe we had it backwards. Ross doesn't get more views because of Machinima, Machinima gets more views because of Ross!

I have the perfect comeback. A Spaz-12.

But yeah, personally I wouldn't know about those if it wasn't for Ross.

Maybe we had it backwards. Ross doesn't get more views because of Machinima, Machinima gets more views because of Ross!

Yeap, again proving my theory that Ross is awesome.

Yea, I'm not a Grammar Nazi, but that's not how you spell the word "fact", Alyxx...

I voted yes.

If I recall a few episodes ago (November of last year) :P He was having issues making Machimima's upload deadlines causing more delay. If Ross gets his own channel it think it would be great. The proviso being that he needs to make it obvious that he will not be responding to comments/questions as he is busy.

YouTubers have way too high of expectations when it comes to uploaders comments.

"Do not inhale fumes, no matter how good they smell."