"Busted mic" - Suggestions

I noticed in the FM update, that there's a problem with a busted microphone.

I'd like to give a few suggestions.

The cheap solution:

Get a budget Lavalier mic that is self-powersupplied. A 'lav' mic is the kind you stick on your shirt pocket or something, very small - typically used in tv, movies, theater etc.

I just got the Audio Technica ATR 3350

P2133059%20%281%29.jpg

It will go for as little as 30$.

With a little high end gain in post-processing, it's really not bad at all - it has low internal noise levels.

Of course it's better to jack it in a preamp first (could be something like a handheld recorder to set the levels; limiter etc).

..But the nice thing about this mic (and others like it) is that it has a standard 1/8" jack connector that you can just plug directly

in to your computer.

I'd post a sample, but what I have right now is stuff recorded through my camera's mic-in and that wouldn't only be unfair to the mic (cameras internal audiorecording system isn't usually a good showcase) - it would also be shameless promotion of my channel...

Anyway I suggest something like this, because it's easy to use without getting 'pop' noises and such - from breathing, stunning the mic with certain parts of any speech etc.

Personally I use the Zoom H4 when I need to do voicing on a video or something.

h4.jpg

The audio on that is better, but it makes for a harder job since I don't have a pop filter and have to take great care how I speak, or I'll ruin the damn recording..

Alternately, and on the more expensive side, there's allways a studio condenser mic, a preamp, and .. - yes you've guessed it a popfilter..

CMH8C_bundle_mount_pop.jpg

Just some thoughts from an audio-dude/musician

I've personally had a GREAT experience with the Blue Yeti USB microphone. Sound quality is incredible, and it's not to expensive given the build quality (you can find it online for less than $90). It also has an adjustable gain knob, which means it can handle yelling quite well without peaking; probably a good plus for Ross.

500x_yeti_mic.jpg

I've personally had a GREAT experience with the Blue Yeti USB microphone. Sound quality is incredible, and it's not to expensive given the build quality (you can find it online for less than $90). It also has an adjustable gain knob, which means it can handle yelling quite well without peaking; probably a good plus for Ross.

Excellent suggestion - and hopefully won't ruin the budget either. Yeah gain control is essential for this kind of audiowork

Oo0o, I want one. From what I've read of the Blue Yeti, it's pretty much the best USB micirophone available.

Hey Ross, I could help pay for one for you to use, or you could at least use some donation money to pick out a good selection. We could even chip in to get it shipped to your door!

[EDIT: Actually, maybe sharing your street address isn't the best idea.]

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Would it work for him to speak normally, then amp up the decibels in post for the points where he's supposed to be shouting? Or is that not worth it? I know that a lot of the time (according to his graph) is editing, piecing together, and other technicalogigalmagic nonsense

Oh, and if you're wondering who busted your microphone...

"I HAVE TO BLOW EVERYTHING UP! IT'S THE ONLY WAY TO PROVE I'M NOT CRAZY!"

Simply ramping up normal speaking would be insufficient for the shouting. It would just sound like normal talking but louder. When shouting, one has a different tone to the voice. Shouting isn't simply talking louder. You can tell when someone's shouting even if the decibel level is really low in comparison to a louder regular talking voice.

I don't have any money to help donate to the busted mic cause, so the only thing I can give right now is hope and patience. :)

Simply ramping up normal speaking would be insufficient for the shouting. It would just sound like normal talking but louder. When shouting, one has a different tone to the voice. Shouting isn't simply talking louder. You can tell when someone's shouting even if the decibel level is really low in comparison to a louder regular talking voice.

That's right.

You adjust your levels according to how loud you are going to speak.

If you have a microphone with very low noise levels, the way to go is generally setting the levels low, and setting a limiter, so the audio never reaches the red area.

In this way, you eliminate background noise (computer humming, noise from the street etc.)

Then, in post-processing, you turn up the volume, and you get a recording with little or no background noise, and if there's any yelling, it won't peak the levels causing distortion.

Have to have a decent limiter though... Some will do some weird stuff to the audio if it gets to the limit. (I have used some weird shit in my days... lol)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Another suggestion could be the Zoom H1

zoom_h1.jpg

zoom-h1.jpg

It's the cheapest of the lot (it's only 100$), but by no means the worst.

Like the others, it can be mounted on a normal camera tripod.

It's got excellent stereo audio (condenser mics), and of course input for an external mic (1/8" jack)

The blue Yeti was an excellent suggestion, and I'm only throwing this out there since it has a preamp (limiter and all this), and I think it's an excellent buy, and I'm considering it even though I have the H4..

On noes :o

Wasn't it an of expensive one? Can we have a photo to mourn a minute?

Let's gather money to buy Ross great mic to his B-Day :D

Just wondering if any of the "donations" money is going towards a new mic

"That which you do not know, is not a moral charge against you; but that which you refuse to know, is an account of infamy growing in your soul. Make every allowance for errors of knowledge; do not forgive or accept any breach of morality."

Wait, didn't he say his mic was a cheap one he got from Walmart? Or am I confusing that with someone else...

Hey,

I've gotten a lot of suggestions on the mics, still trying to figure out what's a good match for me. For everyone recommending a particular mic, would you mind making a recording of yourself shouting something as loud as you can? Hearing is believing, so if I hear a really intense shout coming from your mic setup, that's a pretty good recommendation for me. You can email me directly if you want ([email protected]).

Hey,

I've gotten a lot of suggestions on the mics, still trying to figure out what's a good match for me. For everyone recommending a particular mic, would you mind making a recording of yourself shouting something as loud as you can? Hearing is believing, so if I hear a really intense shout coming from your mic setup, that's a pretty good recommendation for me. You can email me directly if you want ([email protected]).

Coming shortly, sir.

Actually one viewer sent me this in an email after an exchange I had with him about what I'm after. It's making me think a dynamic mic might make more sense afterall:

"

Lets look at what you need:

intensity of my shouting - Condensers (like a Rode NT1-A) are best here, they pick up all the little things in a voice more accurately than dynamics creating a more believable tone to a voice. Dynamics usually pick up the average sound and getting rid of the rest, so for stuff like voice acting you need to over do it (think like theatre) for it to pick up the little subtleties but can then sound too "plastic" (think like theatre again). Dynamics are also designed for very loud signals so depending on the microphone, shouting won't sound like shouting that much from the mic since it can record volcanoes exploding which is much louder than a voice.

doesn't volume clip - Dynamics win here, they can pick up pretty much everything without clipping... be aware that the microphone won't clip but the other stuff in your chain may due to the loud sounds (look at previous email for more explanation). Condensers are much less predictable and each one contains a rating of how loud they can go before they clip the microphone.

doesn't pick up much else in the room - Dynamics like the one you have and the SM58 are best here, since they are designed to only pick up sound after a certain loudness (a whisper, but not the cat running in the other room), dynamics also only work best from anything under 3 ft and can't pick up sound that well out of that range unless its louder than a normal conversation (so not much sound bouncing off your walls will get back into the microphone). Condensers are electrically powered and pick up every quiet noise as well as loud ones, so that means unless your room sounds good your going to hear all the little echo bounces.

"

Picking up every little noise is not something that will help me. I'll definitely listen to any samples people send me before making any judgments though.

I was hoping for an isolated sound file, it's not as helpful for me hearing stuff that's been processed and mixed in with everything else. Again, I'm trying to get a feel for different mics seeing what they sound like when a person is absolutely being as loud as possible into them.

I was hoping for an isolated sound file, it's not as helpful for me hearing stuff that's been processed and mixed in with everything else. Again, I'm trying to get a feel for different mics seeing what they sound like when a person is absolutely being as loud as possible into them.

I sent you an email on the 26th with an audio clip of me talking normally and then briefly yelling, but it may have been buried under other emails if you get lots on a daily basis.

Feel free to PM me about almost anything and I'll do my best to answer. :)

"Beware of what you ask for, for it may come to pass..."