Episode Progress in General

This is a thread for FM episode progress so we don't have to keep making specific episode threads only for Ross to make the OFFICIAL one.

That said, currently 43 is the next episode, and it appears Ross' mic is screwed.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Kaweebo/

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones."

VALVE: "Sometimes bugs take more than eighteen years to fix."

Yeah, this is news to me. How long has that progress status been posted?

On an unrelated note, is there any way to go back on previously submitted images or are they just gone for good once a new one's replaced the link?

The next episode should be awesome! Sounds like Ross got a little rough with the mic on that one. hehehe

and...either he can't find a wal-mart to get a new one or just hasn't updated the progress pic yet.

"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

"Does my beard intimidate you?"

The next episode should be awesome! Sounds like Ross got a little rough with the mic on that one. hehehe

and...either he can't find a wal-mart to get a new one or just hasn't updated the progress pic yet.

Or maybe he has to work to afford it.

When I was like 8 I had a friend with a surname Kuzmanović, and we were making nicknames for him.So,we called him Kuzma/Kuzman,or,kuz.In Serbian,''milking'' [a cow] is said ''muze'',so I started calling him Kuz-muz,moving my hands like I'm milking a cow.

Or maybe he has to work to afford it.

Nope, but he had to bike to get one 8-)

Ross's girlfriend (IRL) Twitter: @AmazingMagda follow me! ^^to somewhere! ^^

Wal Mart stopped selling microphones actually. I ended up buying this one since I'm still relatively ignorant of mics:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samson+-+Dynamic+Vocal+Microphone/8427151.p?id=1182557417472&skuId=8427151#BVRRWidgetID

I plan to make an official post on this once the next episode comes out, but I'm having an issue with it. The regular voice quality is fine, but my main problem is that when I do intense shouting, it somehow makes it sound like I'm just raising my voice or something, much less intense than the reality. This means I have to shout EVEN LOUDER to approximate what I was aiming for, which has just been brutal. Does anyone know what causes that? What specs should be avoided or sought in a microphone that have an impact on that?

when I do intense shouting, it somehow makes it sound like I'm just raising my voice or something, much less intense than the reality. ... Does anyone know what causes that? What specs should be avoided or sought in a microphone that have an impact on that?

That sounds like dynamic range control shenanigans (aka "normalisation") and it's most likely done in software, so I would recommend to dig around in settings of whatever software that came with the mic.

Regards

No software came with the mic, it's analog. Also this wasn't happening on the previous mic (also analog).

In that case I would try to check what mic settings are available in your soundcard software or if there isn't any specific software then try adjusting generic Windows mic settings:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935309

Regards

P.S. If you use XP it's more or less the same but to get to the mic gain boost you need to enable Advanced controls in recording options first...

In that case I would try to check what mic settings are available in your soundcard software or if there isn't any specific software then try adjusting generic Windows mic settings:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935309

Regards

P.S. If you use XP it's more or less the same but to get to the mic gain boost you need to enable Advanced controls in recording options first...

I appreciate the gesture, but I think you maybe don't work as a scientist. You seem to be missing the evidence here:

Old mic = mostly alright

new mic = shouting sounds dumbed down so it seems less intense

My conclusion: something about the new mic has different properties from the old one that produces these results.

No software settings have changed since using the new mic, so there's only one variable here. While it is possible my soundcard is doing some compression on the driver level, it wasn't a noticeable problem on the old mic, plus I don't have control over the software that deep. Besides volume levels, the only options offered for recording in the soundcard software are to change the pitch, reverb, and an anti-reverb control. I have all of them disabled (on the old mic as well as the new) as it just distorts the sound.

Your instructions are just talking about recording levels and the 20dB boost. If a voice sounds mild, increasing the volume is just going to make it louder, not change the tone.

I think it's pretty safe to conclude the problem I'm having is with the mic (not that it's bad, just that it's not what I need). The unknown variable for me is WHAT properties of the mic are causing this?

Anyway, you'll see more on this once the next episode goes up.

OK, let's go though it again:

Old mic = mostly alright

new mic = shouting sounds dumbed down so it seems less intense

Possible explanations:

1 - new mic has low dynamic range and low output signal or low frequency range

2 - software settings changed parameters of the mic pre-amp stage on your sound card

Trouble shooting:

If 2 is eliminated (as you did after my first post) that leaves only 1.

Solutions to 1:

a - break the new mic in two, throw it in the bin, buy a new one (somehow I thought this solution would not have been appreciated, so I didn't mention it)

b - try to change the only thing that can be changed in the hope that it will make it better - which is what I recommended.

Now, you are right, there is no scientific method involved here (because it is not a scientific situation) but it is a reasonable engineering approach. I may not work as a scientist or even as engineer now but once an engineer always an engineer and no one can take my engineering degree away.

Regards

Well it's the scientific method, try to isolate your variable and test the changes. Actually I am willing to buy another mic, but only if I feel reasonably informed about what exactly I'll need. I get the feeling most people who need a mic don't get as loud as I do (and also want to capture that intensity). This video is a fair representation of how loud I can get:

2KAl-b5RfOM

This video is a fair representation of how loud I can get:

2KAl-b5RfOM

Is that what happened to the first mic?

I have the perfect comeback. A Spaz-12.

I've noticed that the double-digit episodes that are the same number twice are really good episodes. We have 11,22,33,and the best part is, 44 is the fourth set! that's like double lucky

So, does the manhole that freeman went in last episode go to the giant laser tripmine hell, or is that later?