FREEMAN'S MIND: EPISODE 43

Downloadable copy will be up after a revision is done to the audio.

Here's the next episode. This episode was brutal on me. My old microphone died on me a small ways into the video (you'll probably be able to hear where it changes), so I had to take my best guess as to what kind of microphone to get as a substitute. I'm relatively ignorant about mics though, and one problem the new mic had was that for some reason it makes my shouting seem much less intense than it is in reality. So if my voice performance seems lackluster, blame the mic, I was screaming my head off to try and make it sound believable. On top of that, I wanted to make sure this episode got on this Friday before the meetup so there would be an annotation blurb at the end about it. That put some time pressure on me and due to some miscommunication, all the volume balancing for this was done in about half an hour by me in a desperate attempt to get the video submitted in time. I made the deadline but the audio quality likely suffered a bit. There will be a remix of the audio for the downloadable copy when it goes up later that will sound better. Also I'm going to take a break from Freeman's Mind until I get a more appropriate microphone. I'll be working on a surprise video you can expect in the next month or two however.

MICROPHONE ADVICE NEEDED (AGAIN)

I've received a lot of promising suggestions about what microphones to get in the past and I feel like now I have a LITTLE more knowledge about what I need, so I thought maybe people could give me recommendations based on what the problems I'm having with my current mic are. My biggest issue with this new mic by far is that it makes my shouting seem a lot less intense than it really is. Before you recommend a mic to me, I would like someone to explain exactly what properties of a mic would cause that to happen. I get very, very loud when doing the shouting for Freeman's Mind. I consider

to be a fair representation of how loud I can shout. I'd like whatever microphone I use to capture that intensity when doing lines, it will help me a lot. Anyway, I've made a small chart illustrating my experiences with microphones so far:

microphone_quest.jpg

Just because a microphone is good, doesn't mean it may be good for what I do necessarily. I thank knowledgeable people in advance for advice they can give me.

And now our ever-neurotic scientist must face the cliff-side walk. :P

Feel free to PM me about almost anything and I'll do my best to answer. :)

"Beware of what you ask for, for it may come to pass..."

TBH, this and the last few episodes have been lackluster. Mostly because there isn't much to say about what happens in them.

"Gordon Freeman heads outside, everything blows up"

Can't wait till it gets to Xen, then thing'll get more interesting.

I love you, yet can't stand to know you exist.

TBH, this and the last few episodes have been lackluster. Mostly because there isn't much to say about what happens in them.

You gotta be kidding ;) I think he had one of the best lines and voice acting in this one!

Especially how he says "Smoke tobacco!":D or "I'm on my smoke brake!" or "Time to visit chateau du rock again..." "And we'll have balloons and ice-cream nad cake..." Cake! ;)

There are many :)

Ross's girlfriend (IRL) Twitter: @AmazingMagda follow me! ^^to somewhere! ^^

I don't think there's a need for spoiler alerts, man. this game has been out long enough that i think everyone here knows it better than the map designer. XD

True, but in terms of Freeman's Mind as a machinima, people may not be aware how far Freeman will travel in an episode. In addition people may not want to be made aware of various puns, jokes etc in the episode before they've actually seen it. I know my post contained none, but I believe it's always best to be considerate.

Really? Honestly I found these last ones the most exciting. I haven't laughed much, but I've enjoyed his ramblings. His small comment on his first day at work was interesting. These episodes where he's fighting and dodging the helicopter really makes me anxious to see if he'll make an HL2 FM, just for the Strider battles.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Kaweebo/

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones."

VALVE: "Sometimes bugs take more than eighteen years to fix."

I really liked the mosquito line, everything else great as usual.

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA

"We're being fingered by Godzilla!" Love that!! :-)

"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

"Does my beard intimidate you?"

I liked this one a lot, especially referencing how "he got lucky" on the helicopter back at the damn dam of the damned.

"That which you do not know, is not a moral charge against you; but that which you refuse to know, is an account of infamy growing in your soul. Make every allowance for errors of knowledge; do not forgive or accept any breach of morality."

The bronies on Youtube are already geeking out over Ross's line at 7:53.

Wow, guys. Really?

It sounds like it might be one of those references that isn't one. I think that happened in Morning Patrol, where some people thought Dave's comments on mind control were a reference to some show I had never seen. In my case it's been a frigging heat wave the past couple weeks and I don't have air conditioning where my computer is. It's given me some situational awareness of what Freeman might be going through.

"We're being fingered by Godzilla!"

Okay, I just finished typing the subtitles (have to time them and put them into SRT format still) but I don't recall this line being said. Where was it?

The bronies on Youtube are already geeking out over Ross's line at 7:53.

Bronies? What are they talking about? The only thing I can see is that Freeman was expressing relief at it being 20 degrees cooler down the manhole shaft. Am I missing something?

Also, Ross, I am no means a microphone expert, but are you using a preamp with your microphone? My microphone was incredibly quiet until I started using one.

I did some Googling and found this page mention something about it with your microphone so it's possible it needs one: http://www.johnnyo.biz/samson-stage/

I recall with my microphone before I had the preamp my voice was incredibly quiet, and if I manually amplified it after recording something in Audacity, it would have a lot of background hiss. Preamp fixed it all.

I use this one myself: http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/MIC800.aspx

And this microphone: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vocal-Microphone-finish-Retro-Dynamic/dp/B0013NCY3Y/ref=sr_1_6?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1322058289&sr=1-6

Originally got it because I wanted to get in to voice acting, then ended up barely doing anything due to both background noise (family of 7!) and me not wanting to disturb people. >

Anyway, enough about me, hopefully this information may be of some use to you.

Bronies? What are they talking about? The only thing I can see is that Freeman was expressing relief at it being 20 degrees cooler down the manhole shaft. Am I missing something?

20 degrees cooler/20% cooler. People are ridiculous. I'm a huge fan of the show and even I didn't even think of that. People need to chill out/

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Kaweebo/

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones."

VALVE: "Sometimes bugs take more than eighteen years to fix."