Black Mesa Mod

Sign in to follow this  

I was going to wait and mention this when the next Freeman's Mind episode came out (hopefully this week), but since I've already received 5 emails on it, I can see it can't wait. The mod Black Mesa is coming out and will be partially finished. I've had people ask me if I plan to switch Freeman's Mind over to the new game. No, I don't. I think the graphical difference would be somewhat disruptive / distracting to the series, especially if I get to Xen before the BM team does. I originally considered switching over after Freeman blacked out since that would be a smoother transition, but I passed that point, so I'm just going to keep going on Half-Life: Source.

I personally wouldn't think it'd be that distracting. Maybe keep going a couple of episodes, create an episode ending like episodes 10 - 10.5 - 11 (I know that was an April fools), and switch over. I'd use RvB as evidence to how well graphical transitions can work into a machinima, but then again, RvB wasn't first-person.

I agree with your decision, Ross. (Not that it would make a difference if I didn't)

In addition to the reasons listed, the BM mod is supposed to make the level design make more sense. This leads to less funny commentary for Freeman.

I might want to see an April Fools Black Mesa episode, but you probably have more awesome April Fools plans than that.

I have the perfect comeback. A Spaz-12.

Sounds like the right thing to do. From what I gather Black Mesa is an entirely different game, not just a reskin etc, merging the two might not be very straight forward. Besides, the look of the original HL has a nice retro-charm to it. :P

Feel free to PM me about almost anything and I'll do my best to answer. :)

"Beware of what you ask for, for it may come to pass..."

Actually since I made that post I remembered a secret I plan to do with FM in the future that would make BM less desirable than HL Source for a certain reason.

Also I never know what I'm doing for April Fool's, if people want to email me months in advance, I can take it into consideration. I have ideas, but like a lot of mine, they tend to be more time consuming than I want.

At a point in the game, you are in a parking garage and a gargantua begins to chase you until you get outside where the HECU are to commence airstrikes. I am thinking that, if you wanted a good excuse to have a switchover to Black Mesa, you could allow the gargantua to attack Freeman and the attack causes the screen to go crazy, and/or turn bright red or white or something, and when Freeman's vision returns, it could be replaced with the same place in Black Mesa (assuming they have this part in the mod). Then you could have Freeman comment on how everything looks different.

I personally would be sad if you switched. While I'm excited to see Half Life in an updated style, I think it would detract from the charm of the series. I mean, I show FM to my Dad, who (while he does think you're funny) mainly watches it just to see someone play through the original game. Either way, no matter how you did it, I think it would be jarring to switch over. And what's the benefit? Surely nobody's watching FM and thinking 'damn, I can't enjoy the witty dialogue with these decade+ old graphics.'

Of course, it's your series. If you want to change at some point, that's your call. If you want to make Gordon tap-dance for a whole episode in front of an exciting new weapon that you pointedly ignore, that's also your call. I'm just a forum weirdo offering my opinion :)

At a point in the game, you are in a parking garage and a gargantua begins to chase you until you get outside where the HECU are to commence airstrikes. I am thinking that, if you wanted a good excuse to have a switchover to Black Mesa, you could allow the gargantua to attack Freeman and the attack causes the screen to go crazy, and/or turn bright red or white or something, and when Freeman's vision returns, it could be replaced with the same place in Black Mesa (assuming they have this part in the mod). Then you could have Freeman comment on how everything looks different.

"Ohh man. I think I breathed in way too much smoke from that thing. It's fucking up my vision. Everything looks darker"

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Kaweebo/

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones."

VALVE: "Sometimes bugs take more than eighteen years to fix."

Please, please don't ever switch, Ross.

Guys from BMS chose to go with reaaaaaaally over the top voices for HECU grunts, and from what I could hear, it doesn't work. I don't mean they're not talented people (quite the opposite, top notch voice acting from what I could hear) but they made grunts sound awful. I feel it wouldn't work too well with your own voice.

I'll say it again, Freeman's Mind is a satirical look back at Valve Software's classic game, not an eye candy filled Let's Play of a highly derivative fanmade modification, so the idea of switching bugs me.

A Kung-Fu Master, Thomas and Silvia were suddenly attacked by several unknown guys.

Guys from BMS chose to go with reaaaaaaally over the top voices for HECU grunts, and from what I could hear, it doesn't work. I don't mean they're not talented people (quite the opposite, top notch voice acting from what I could hear) but they made grunts sound awful. I feel it wouldn't work too well with your own voice.

"What the hell? I guess I killed all the grown-up troops, so they sent a bunch of constipated teenagers in gas-masks after me." - Gordon Freeman.

But seriously, I think they said they toned down the cheese on the grunt voices from the last video. (Or at least the last video that I saw.)

You can have someone else do it... Not from the beginning but just after the blackout to see how it looks and feels in terms of Freeman's mind.... ISH!

I don't know. Just an idea.

I just... I don't even...

The mod Black Mesa is coming out and will be partially finished. I've had people ask me if I plan to switch Freeman's Mind over to the new game. No, I don't. I think the graphical difference would be somewhat disruptive / distracting to the series, especially if I get to Xen before the BM team does. I originally considered switching over after Freeman blacked out since that would be a smoother transition, but I passed that point, so I'm just going to keep going on Half-Life: Source.

Don't you people read what Ross has to say? :roll:

And I thought women tend to chitchat more :D

Ross's girlfriend (IRL) Twitter: @AmazingMagda follow me! ^^to somewhere! ^^

I'd just like to say THANK YOU. I'm so glad you're not switching over to Black Mesa. That would almost entirely ruin the great thing you have going right now.

For one, you don't know how the game is laid out as well as you do the original, making filming that much harder. Second, the awesome graphics and believable architecture will take away many jokes. And third, it would just be weird and messy to transition from Half-Life to Black Mesa.

So once again, great decision.

By the way, don't get me wrong, I love the Black Mesa Mod, I just think it would not work at all with Freeman's Mind.

Wrap your brain around this ...

The Black Mesa Mod should pay tribute to Ross 'freakin awesome' Scott by adding the dialog of Freeman's Mind into the gameplay of the Mod! Add it where it applies, of course, thus turning Freeman's Mind into a playable game.

That would be cool. It's not going to happen, but still cool!

"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

"Does my beard intimidate you?"

Wrap your brain around this ...

The Black Mesa Mod should pay tribute to Ross 'freakin awesome' Scott by adding the dialog of Freeman's Mind into the gameplay of the Mod! Add it where it applies, of course, thus turning Freeman's Mind into a playable game.

That would be cool. It's not going to happen, but still cool!

I think an FM sound mod would be cool, if it's done right.

Another thing I'd like to see as an option is to have the BM:S team's outtakes in place of the proper dialogue. :lol:

Speaking of which, the Black Mesa mod is on Steam's Greenlight now. You know what to do.

Well, I've done my part! Plus having it on Steam will probably ease the strain on the BM servers, since steam is specifically designed for downloading games. (Feel free to correct me if that's not actually how it works)

It really wasn't that bad, dude. It wasn't incredible, but 'awful'? C'mon.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Kaweebo/

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones."

VALVE: "Sometimes bugs take more than eighteen years to fix."

This post may interest you:

http://forums.blackmesasource.com/showpost.php?p=475471&postcount=1

In particular:

We are re-recording the human grunts scripted dialogue (i.e. scripted sequences, not their idle/combat chatter).
We previously had two sets of voices for human grunts; a deeper, more gruff one for commanders, and a younger, cleaner one for regular grunts and medics. We've now given regular grunts the badass gruff voice as well, and all voices have had a radio-static filter applied. As a result, all human grunts now wear gasmasks.
I think people have mistaken what I said earlier about the grunt's voices. There isn't going to be any less variety in the voice acting; there were two voices before (commanders, grunts/medics), there are still two voices now (commanders/grunts, medics). Commanders and grunts now use the same gruff voice, while medics use the cleaner voice. Both sets of voices have the radio filter applied, irrespective of whether they are wearing a gasmask or not. If you need to rationalise it, the commanders and medics are wearing throatmikes.

Feel free to PM me about almost anything and I'll do my best to answer. :)

"Beware of what you ask for, for it may come to pass..."