General Chat

I play CoD. Then again... I doubt I count. XD

No, you don't, Roy. :lol:

And anyway, there are plenty of female gamers, but the way a lot of male gamers treat or view female gamers has brought about an annoying attitude I've seen where some chicks act as if they're breaking new ground playing video games. "That's right. I'm a girl gamer, what are ya gonna do about it, boys? ;P"

I have no problem with girl gamers, I just hate it when they act like it's a big deal.

I think the term girl gamer is ridiculous. In no other medium fanatics are specified by gender. There are no "girl-bookworms" or "girl-moviebuffs", but there are girl gamers. It shows in what state the gaming industry currently is with it's attitude towards females.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wait, I know girls that are focused only on school and books, but not games.

Well, I haven't met a single girl which is into /example/ maths, chemistry, school, marks, learning ect AND has a cool/badass hobby like comics, movies or games. They play of course, but only Tettris and the Sims. Or Toocons. I bet most of them doesn't even know that tettris is a called like that not "colourful blocks"

Do you know what mean? I noticed that the most guys are some kind of an explolers. I'm an exploler so I want to explore and learn new things, better than things I currently like.

I just can't image a girl with such mind. If I would, I'll be much more happier person than I am now

"Even if something sounds logical, it doesn't mean it have to be true"

I think the term girl gamer is ridiculous. In no other medium fanatics are specified by gender. There are no "girl-bookworms" or "girl-moviebuffs", but there are girl gamers. It shows in what state the gaming industry currently is with it's attitude towards females.

Except in those other mediums females are pretty much 50% of the audience, gaming has always been male dominated. Just look at anything with a majority female/male group, people make fun of male nurses and they make fun of female labourers. No one is going to make fun of a female playing the Sims are they? Everyone pretending this only occurs in gaming just pisses me off as it makes all gamers seems misogynistic.

This happens everywhere people. Sexualization in games will always occur with games targeted towards males, or are you going to tell me that the music industry isn't ten times as worse despite having a far larger female audience.

"Don't listent to Justin Bieber! It's only for girls!"

Except in those other mediums females are pretty much 50% of the audience, gaming has always been male dominated. Just look at anything with a majority female/male group, people make fun of male nurses and they make fun of female labourers. No one is going to make fun of a female playing the Sims are they? Everyone pretending this only occurs in gaming just pisses me off as it makes all gamers seems misogynistic.

This happens everywhere people. Sexualization in games will always occur with games targeted towards males, or are you going to tell me that the music industry isn't ten times as worse despite having a far larger female audience.

You are missing the point. You are also naming jobs, I am talking about media.

And I am not claiming sexualization(or objectification or sexism, whatever you wanna call it. It all comes down to the same thing) only happens in gaming. What I am claiming is that only in gaming fanatics are commonly specified by their gender showing how bad sexualization actually is. In other media this(sexualization that is) occurs as well but, as you said, those are still pretty evenly divided when it comes to gender. In the gaming industry however we seem to have such an imbalance that being a certain gender actually makes you "special".

Edit: Damn you latin words and your plurals

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think my net just had a stroke. Google and Mediafire refuses to load and I can't join any games in MW3.

And thats when you take out your gameboy and start playing pokémon.

"Life sucks sober!"

You are missing the point. You are also naming jobs, I am talking about media.

And I am not claiming sexualization(or objectification or sexism, whatever you wanna call it. It all comes down to the same thing) only happens in gaming. What I am claiming is that only in gaming fanatics are commonly specified by their gender showing how bad sexualization actually is. In other media this(sexualization that is) occurs as well but, as you said, those are still pretty evenly divided when it comes to gender. In the gaming industry however we seem to have such an imbalance that being a certain gender actually makes you "special".

Edit: Damn you latin words and your plurals

Why does it matter whether it happens in an entire medium or just a certain form of that medium? Girl gamers aren't "special" and the only people telling themselves that are either girl gamers themselves or just deluded. Males like females that share their interests, especially ones that shame them such as watching anime or playing video games as it makes themselves feel more self-confident.

Also, I have no idea where you're finding a correlation between sexualiztion and gender. Have you even seen a bra shop? That has a 100% female audience yet they're one of the worst offenders with their adverts. Face it, women are objectified in every media, whether it's to appease males or to make females feel inadequate.

Oh... Stop that allready... I got a headache.

Why does it matter whether it happens in an entire medium or just a certain form of that medium? Girl gamers aren't "special" and the only people telling themselves that are either girl gamers themselves or just deluded. Males like females that share their interests, especially ones that shame them such as watching anime or playing video games as it makes themselves feel more self-confident.

Also, I have no idea where you're finding a correlation between sexualiztion and gender. Have you even seen a bra shop? That has a 100% female audience yet they're one of the worst offenders with their adverts. Face it, women are objectified in every media, whether it's to appease males or to make females feel inadequate.

They are "special" enough to be called by their gender.

And that correlation I am seeing because as a female why would you want to be part of a community where you are for the most part seen as nothing more but a lust-object. Especially when even the industry treats you that way.

Also bras are not entertainment products....for the most part.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

seen as nothing more but a lust-object.

Welcome to every form of media ever.

Also bras are not entertainment products....for the most part.

So what? I already told you that objectification of women is far worse in the music industry. Games aren't going to change until society as a whole changes.

Either society or these people -

XrBoeMF4FYs

Games aren't going to change until society as a whole changes.

Society is changing, sadly for worse. Imagine you'd be at Anytown University in the 70's and someone would show you a video by Lady Gaga (she, of course, is an extreme example). You would be outraged (if you're not really right-wing) by this sexism and objectification of women. Today everybody just looks at it and says "yes, it's pop music."

I have to say, the '68-generation and their followers took the fight against sexism and other topics worth fighting against to absurd extremes, but they did that because they were idealists. Maybe you have noticed that idealism isn't really the spirit of our time. I don't want to discredit every form of pragmatism, but people saying "sex sells, that's human nature" are taking it too far. So it would really require not to change society but human nature. Because we are all evolutionary conditioned to reproduce. There are few people, I'd say, who realize that, and even fewer that keep that in mind (knowing they are not better than anybody) and willing to act differently.

Because that is the only way to solve the problems something that lies so deep in human nature causes. You have to be critical of your own behavior, at all times. And that's mighty difficult.

Best,

Simon

I've never once regretted being a nasty, greedy, cold-hearted, avaricious money-grubber... conservative.

In my opinion exploiting sex appeal is wrong because it takes the focus away from who we are as individuals and in a way dehumanizes us. It's no wonder we have so much rape these days when society basically teaches you that women have no personality. But women should not be afraid of making themselves attractive, that's a natural part of human culture. It's the exploitation of that which I think is wrong.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

Bullshit. They got no personality and care ONLY about how to be more beautiful and less fat...

They don't care about games, movies, et cetera. So this make me sad and angry.

Can you blame them. Girls are influenced from they are kids to be only focused on fashion and money.

And boys only about having sax with them... ;/