General Chat

I don't know about the economical thing but even I think that's kind of weird :) But, there are more alcoholic drink varieties then soft drinks, that's for sure.

EDIT: Hmmm... no wonder, we are 5th most consuming alcohol drinkers in the world. Ireland is 13th.

5. Ukraine

Per capita alcohol consumption: 15.60 liters

Recorded consumption: 8.10 liters

Unrecorded consumption: 7.50 liters

Per capita consumption by type (recorded)

Beer: 2.69 liters

Wine: 0.58 liters

Spirits: 5.21 liters

Other: 0.02 liters

"When a son is born, the father will go up to the newborn baby, sword in hand; throwing it down, he says, "I shall not leave you with any property: You have only what you can provide with this weapon."

I am getting a tad tired of my computers breaking... at least it's only the shift key this time. can't be TOO hard to replace... can it?

Retired Forum Moderator

I must be tired; I read the shift key as shit key *yawn*. Depending on why it broke will really affect how hard it'll be the replace it.

plastic pieces on the key itself actually snapped off so it popped off. but knowing these guys, they'll probably replace the whole damn keyboard.

Retired Forum Moderator

The easiest solutions usually aren't the best ones. Too bad keys are different enough that finding a replacement isn't exactly easy.

I am getting a tad tired of my computers breaking...
Are we to understand that this is not the first time? Is it more like a trend?

computer_sm_sad.gif

I bring you mortal danger and cookies. Not necessarily in that order.

http://www.youtube.com/jclc

So I was watching a rerun of Are You Smarter than a Fifth Grader tonight, and one of the questions really irked me. It was: How many full sets of teeth does a human adult get? The possible answers were 1, 2, or 3. The guy answered 1, but the show said the answer was 2. Since the question stated FULL sets of teeth, the answer should be 1 because you only have one set of wisdom teeth and you don't get a second set, and it's just been bugging the crap out of me. But I dunno, I might somehow be wrong there... *sigh*

What about Milk teeth????

"When a son is born, the father will go up to the newborn baby, sword in hand; throwing it down, he says, "I shall not leave you with any property: You have only what you can provide with this weapon."

Yeah, I think more or less they were just using baby (or milk) teeth and adult teeth as the defining features of "full sets", but I really think you could argue either answer to be correct, although you can say that a full set is defined by how the teeth are replaced. In the case of baby teeth, they're all replaced, but an adult set of teeth adds an extra 4 teeth that weren't developed in the baby tooth cycle. Whether or not it'll matter (it never does on game shows, see the various Jeopardy examples where some questions do have multiple answers IRL) is a different issue. It seems like a really poor way to word a question, but maybe I'm thinking too much about it. After all, it's just a game show.

It's all just semantic bullshit, I realize.

I remember watching "Are you smarter then a fifth grader" when I lived in Canada, I could answer 9/10 questions, the 10th one usually being USA geography or history which I'm not familiar with. I also remember seeing a dumb bitch who thought Europe was a country.

Anyway I just fixed my sound card (It finally plays stereo, turns out the jumpers where in the wrong places) although at first I thought I failed with the jumpers as my music still played only on the left head phone piece, then I realized that it was the equlization on the aimp2 player turned to the left for some reason. So, there was actually two problems :).

I feel like I just leveled up.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

How come the jumpers were in the wrong settings in the first place? Did it come from the factory set to play mono?

I bring you mortal danger and cookies. Not necessarily in that order.

http://www.youtube.com/jclc

So I was watching a rerun of Are You Smarter than a Fifth Grader tonight, and one of the questions really irked me. It was: How many full sets of teeth does a human adult get? The possible answers were 1, 2, or 3. The guy answered 1, but the show said the answer was 2. Since the question stated FULL sets of teeth, the answer should be 1 because you only have one set of wisdom teeth and you don't get a second set, and it's just been bugging the crap out of me. But I dunno, I might somehow be wrong there... *sigh*

Reminds me of when they asked how many Kilowatts in a Megawatt/Hour.

That's like asking how many Feet in a Meters Per Second.

This is a nice metric server. No imperial dimensions, please.

Oh yeah, I remember now. We had this in class last week, thanks for freshing up my memory ;)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I am getting a tad tired of my computers breaking...
Are we to understand that this is not the first time? Is it more like a trend?

Nope, not the first.

In fact, here's the history of the 2 computers I have:

Alienware:

out of the box, bright red broken pixels in screen, faulty USB port.

After screen is replace, motherboard dies. 3 week old computers motherboard dies...

Alienware replaced by company for free,

touch pad breaks down. not too worried as I never use it much.

screen spider-web fractures during a trip to school. so much for padded carrying case.

screen replaced, speaker dies.

speaker replaced, esc key disappears one day. (I still don't know what happened to it.)

Replace alienware with ASUS:

Bad sectors on very important part of hard drive causes OS to start failing. Log in not recognized due to corrupt sys32 files.

deal with problem. good for a week then problem reoccurs with even more files damaged.

reinstall windows completely and scan and repair bad sectors.

problem appears with disk slot that contact with the tray may open it, even if button isn't pressed.

touch pad breaks (what is it with these things)

during vacation hairline fracture appears down center of screen.

screen replaced. minor and non-distracting but we'll see if it gets worse.

and now, missing shift key. turned on laptop 2 days ago and the key just fell off when moving the computer. O_o

This is all the course of summer last year till now. I also had a macbook and desktop have it's own long set of problems showing up but i think my points has been made.

Retired Forum Moderator

I die a little inside when I unknowingly leave my computer on for extended periods of time.

How come the jumpers were in the wrong settings in the first place? Did it come from the factory set to play mono?

Made in China :mrgreen:

Made in China :mrgreen:

Probably had too much lead paint on them