The Homo Sapien Genome Lifespan EDIT

What do you think will happen to humanity in the far future?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think will happen to humanity in the far future?

• WE"RE ALL GOING TO DIE.
    • We will be in space, zappin' aliens with rayguns.
    • We will split off into separate species and probably fight each other for petty reasons.
    • We will live in the matrix, except we will all be like Neo.
    • We will evolve into mole people and conquer the surface dwellers
    • Nothing much will happen, actually.
    • Other.

How long do you think humanity will last?

Actually, scratch that. How long do you think the HUMAN GENOME will last, while still being intelligent enough to make spacecraft?

I don't know, call me an optimist, but I think it will last pretty long, and will still be alive in one way or another, because I think humans are like roaches, and are hard as balls to kill off entirely.

I mean think about it. out of all major apocalypse scenario, can you think of one that some crazy psychopath hasn't already prepared for already? I mean, I doubt most will survive, but its likely that they will be around in small pockets around the earth in a sizable enough number that they might be able to have a breeding population. I mean, we survived mount Toba. [1]

Even if we pass peak oil, humanity will just be split between the few pockets of civilization which has alternative full sources, and a mad max style world of marauding Tesla drivers.

The only two that has any real and SERIOUS possibility to *END us, is the up and coming ASI and aliens. If you don't know what ASI stands for, its an Artificial Super Intelligence, and if you are still confused,* here [2]

Note, my opions on this has changed, see below

What do you think? What could seriously end humanity now that we have bomb shelters and a plant vault in svalbard [3] and also uv lighting?

EDIT: So i've grown a bit over a few years an noticed how stupid I sound in a lot of the posts I made, this is mostly unrelated however to the upcoming revising of the topic. I am still interested in this topic however and would like to bring in a new factor to consider.

You've probably heard of him as that crazy billionare that belives we live in the matrix today, and wanted to build the futurama air tunes in California. Dispite these ventures he has been making some breakthroughs like being able to land an entire rocket after it launched with out it exploding and is planning to coming out with a 35000 Doller battery only car. [4]

So what, you may ask? Well another one of his mad man schemes is to get one million people on Mars before 2100. And recently he has come out with basically a preveiw of a "big fucking rocket" which will be capable of holding 100 people per flight or mare depending on efficiency. He is really serious about this. What do you think? http://waitbutwhy.com/2016/09/spacexs-big-fking-rocket-the-full-story.html

In addition I would like to ask the list of things that could violently kill all of us without leaving any possibility for survival. I don't think full scale war with today's weapons (even nukes) could kill all of us just yet, but I would like to know if it could how it would.

Sources:

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toba_catastrophe_theory

[2] http://waitbutwhy.com/2015/01/artificial-intelligence-revolution-1.html

http://waitbutwhy.com/2015/01/artificial-intelligence-revolution-2.html

[3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svalbard_Global_Seed_Vault

[4]https://www.tesla.com/model3

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

HEHE HAHA HOHO

There are a great number of things that could finish us off. A inopportune gamma burst in our cosmic neighborhood could essentially sterilize the planet. A large enough asteroid would cause shock waves through the entire crust, eradicating all macro organisms. The climate is a non-linear system and could be nudged over the edge to a Snowball Earth scenario, which has happened before. A super volcano eruption could turn the entire atmosphere toxic for thousands of years. Oh, how I could go on.

Still, i checked the ray gun in SPAAAAACE option. Despite peak oil, despite assholes trying to swindle Women's Shelters out of money, despite Daesh (self styled as IS)... I can't help but feel optimistic for the long stretch. I've been following Hans Rosling and Gapminder for a while, and they have confirmed something I have had more as a vague feeling for many years - there is this weird, stubborn drive in humanity as a whole to very (very, very, very) slowly make things better. I don't think we have quite earned the Like A Roach badge yet, but from my perspective as a tutor and bright eyed physicist-soon-to-be I think we will get there.

There are a great number of things that could finish us off. A inopportune gamma burst in our cosmic neighborhood could essentially sterilize the planet. A large enough asteroid would cause shock waves through the entire crust, eradicating all macro organisms. The climate is a non-linear system and could be nudged over the edge to a Snowball Earth scenario, which has happened before. A super volcano eruption could turn the entire atmosphere toxic for thousands of years. Oh, how I could go on.

Still, i checked the ray gun in SPAAAAACE option. Despite peak oil, despite assholes trying to swindle Women's Shelters out of money, despite Daesh (self styled as IS)... I can't help but feel optimistic for the long stretch. I've been following Hans Rosling and Gapminder for a while, and they have confirmed something I have had more as a vague feeling for many years - there is this weird, stubborn drive in humanity as a whole to very (very, very, very) slowly make things better. I don't think we have quite earned the Like A Roach badge yet, but from my perspective as a tutor and bright eyed physicist-soon-to-be I think we will get there.

To be honest, I forgot the about super novas. I guess what I meant it that anything that would absolutely wreck earth would be needed to end man. Like magnetars. Sorry if I sounded ignorant.

:|

HEHE HAHA HOHO

Other: We are kids now. We are squids now.

In all seriousness I think humanity will just kill each other off eventually in one way or another. I highly doubt our descendants will ever get to see the sun collapse.

To be honest, I forgot the about super novas. I guess what I meant it that anything that would absolutely wreck earth would be needed to end man. Like magnetars. Sorry if I sounded ignorant.

:|

Haha, no worries! I just thought it was kind of fun keeping your list of humanity ending disasters going. But yea, we are at the point where nature has to do quite a number on the whole planet to get rid of us. And we're not that far off from establishing permanent colonies on the Moon and Mars, so then asteroids and such can just suck it.

On the one hand, I'm tempted to agree with K4 - humanity itself is the one disaster that will stick with us long after earth quakes and asteroids have lost their holding power. On the other... as horrible as it is when considering the absolute numbers, relatively speaking we have never been as peaceful as right now. Which does seem to be a general trend, globally and over the course of several decades or centuries.

relatively speaking we have never been as peaceful as right now. Which does seem to be a general trend, globally and over the course of several decades or centuries.

I wouldn't say that a lack of open wars with bloodshed makes us more peaceful, just less messy. (there is plenty of conflict still going, and it's actually being encouraged in many ways)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

I put absolutely no stock in the word of 'scientists' that claim that all global warming is caused by humans, or ever did. (I did a little background searching, turns out most of them are focusing on environmentalism, not science)

relatively speaking we have never been as peaceful as right now. Which does seem to be a general trend, globally and over the course of several decades or centuries.

I wouldn't say that a lack of open wars with bloodshed makes us more peaceful, just less messy. (there is plenty of conflict still going, and it's actually being encouraged in many ways)

While I disagree with what you said Bullseye, I don't know how to respond.

I do believe the times have gotten better however, and with less unknown to be scared of we can hopefully understand each other better as well

HEHE HAHA HOHO

I do believe the times have gotten better however, and with less unknown to be scared of we can hopefully understand each other better as well

Yet, now we have essentially hit on the 'year of hate'. People hating a game based on limited pre-release footage from staged scenes... People hating someone for having an opinion different than theirs, regardless of the logic or lack of logic involved... (see gamergate) People killing a bunch of other people because they have different skin color, or religion... People ganging up on, and verbally abusing anyone if they aren't a particular religion... (see most atheists)

It used to be that we just killed a bunch of people; now we do so much emotional and mental damage that people kill themselves.

People ganging up on, and verbally abusing anyone if they aren't a particular religion... (see most atheists)

Religion's place in the modern world is definitely going to affect the future of humanity. It already is, to be honest, as so much of the world's population and culture has religious backgrounds. As an agnostic, I choose not to go into details, or provoke any argument. All I know is that religion is not going to take a backseat.

I USED TO DREAM ABOUT NUCLEAR WAR

Yet, now we have essentially hit on the 'year of hate'. People hating a game based on limited pre-release footage from staged scenes... People hating someone for having an opinion different than theirs, regardless of the logic or lack of logic involved... (see gamergate) People killing a bunch of other people because they have different skin color, or religion... People ganging up on, and verbally abusing anyone if they aren't a particular religion... (see most atheists)

It used to be that we just killed a bunch of people; now we do so much emotional and mental damage that people kill themselves.

You just said a lot of things right there, and I'm not even going to touch that atheist shit cause I'd rather not, but my argument is this.

How much media coverage do you get on this? How many details? the main reason it sounds like there is MORE hate right now instead of less is because people talk about it more. Thats wonderful because it shows what people are thinking and their reasoning and if it was just or not instead of just passing it off as something minor, if they discover it at all. Do you honestly think people hate each other more now than they did 70 years ago? how about 50? 30 even? Before you throw the Fox News propaganda argument, I will say I understand the concern, but it is a known FACT that everything that comes out of their mouth is being highly scrutinized by the likes of John Stewart and Larry Wilmore.

HEHE HAHA HOHO

Before you throw the Fox News propaganda argument

So here's a question for you then... Why do you assume that I would use that particular argument? I use logic and direct statements, I will not borrow from others, especially when they use those type of arguments as a derogatory. (and trust me, they do A LOT with anything that isn't mainstream [American] Liberal media)

Also, just to let you know right now, I am never trying to insult anyone. I merely provide different ways of looking at things, and quite often it will make others angry. (I can only assume it's because it hits too close to home for some)

the main reason it sounds like there is MORE hate right now instead of less is because people talk about it more. Thats wonderful because it shows what people are thinking and their reasoning and if it was just or not instead of just passing it off as something minor, if they discover it at all.

Talking about it is one thing... Having it actually change is completely different. Talking about the risks of sex isn't going to stop people from having sex. Talking about the risks of driving cars has never stopped people from driving. Talking about hate will never stop people from hating.

Do you honestly think people hate each other more now than they did 70 years ago? how about 50? 30 even?

In the 40's, 60's, and 80's respectively... Yes, yes, and yes.

In the 40's there was a world war on, and guess what? The mobsters supported the country. I even knew some that outright started using their ill-gotten money from previous decades to feed and house the poor until the country could get back on it's feet. These were the same people that would otherwise beat you to death for looking at them wrong. You will almost never see that level of selfless change today.

In the 60's, the peace movement... The vast majority just wanted to be left alone, and to do no harm. The hippies were doing peace marches, and mostly had no idea what they were doing.

The 80's was the actual era of peace. The Cold War ended, Japanese electronics were awesome, and metal was what you used to vent your hate.

Today we have all the problems of the past century, but none of the previous solutions. People have been taught to be selfish pricks, because you make more money that way. People are taught to not just sit around having a good time, but instead to find something to fight for, regardless of whether it's good or bad for anyone. And people now vent their hate at people instead of emptiness. (I tell you, listening to heavy metal all about the frustrations the singer is having is a great relief to the listener's stress as well)

We taught the kids to blame others for any problems they have and do nothing but complain, instead of teaching them to find solutions to problems and implement them. Those kids grew up, and are teaching the next generation the same thing. I just hope the generation after that finally learns to make their own solutions instead of aggravating the problem.

I don't know if any of that made sense to anyone else, but it felt good to get it out.

I don't know man, It just seems impossible for use to kill ourselves right now unless we make a god IA and it goes horribly wrong. I'm from america, and 70 years ago, In the 40's our biggest national threat was a band of three nations who sought to take over the world like a Saturday morning cartoon, but super serious and terrifying. Today, our biggest national security risk is ourselves, and people see that, and wish to fix it. The only "nation" that has any intent on massacring the public is North Korea, a joke of a country that is starving and rotting as we speak. the only people who could end the world have no intent on doing so, and no matter how many faults are showing, It wouldn't end humanity. It just doesn't make any rational sense. I'm sure the united states will fall from grace, but someone else will pick it up. and the case is even better for peace on a world scale .

Here:This video is sourced in the description NbuUW9i-mHs

HEHE HAHA HOHO

So I updated the thread a little after the year I've been gone because I don't want to make something redundant. NOTE, everything I've said before this post is dumb and should be taken with a grain of salt

HEHE HAHA HOHO

Well, with the US politicos openly talking about attacking Russian forces in Syria - anything may happen in the short term.

Regards

I stand by my barely coherent rant that I posted last year. (and my vote for "nothing much will happen")

I actually thought about that guy that wants to take a million people to mars (elon musk) some time ago. I think it's interesting, like watching history unfold before our very eyes. If he succeeds, he makes history, if he makes even the slightest progress, he still makes history. If he doesn't, or just straight up fails, we're probably pushed back a lot and people of the future will look back (Hello!) at us and frown. "Didn't they know we had to move eventually? Didn't they know X? It's like common knowledge, anybody normal should be able to figure it out." etc etc... Over all, it's nice to see some ambition with clear set goal posts.

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 43 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

This website uses cookies, as do most websites since the 90s. By using this site, you consent to cookies. We have to say this or we get in trouble. Learn more.