Other countries/locations in the Fallout universe

Sign in to follow this  

What would Fallout in Antarctica be like? I'd guess kind of a "winter survival" theme. Wolves don't live in Antarctica(I think) so you'd probably get a mix of super behemoth polar bears and penguin-people.

What would Fallout in Antarctica be like? I'd guess kind of a "winter survival" theme. Wolves don't live in Antarctica(I think) so you'd probably get a mix of super behemoth polar bears and penguin-people.

I think it's kinda implied that there has been some huge climate shifts due the war (thus why most of America is largely desert, and why plant life is so dead on the East coast), so it's hard to know what Antartica is like. For all we know, if could be a fairly livable region, especially since it probably didn't get hit by any bombs.

I wonder if all the science stations managed to make a nice life for themselves...

I HAVE to blow everything up! It's the only way to prove I'm not CRAZY!

The only non-aquatic animals that naturally live in Antarctica are birds and Seals... I don't think there's too much as can be done with that.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

If it was the 80's they could play some Men At Work.

Australia has some amazing electroclash bands (The Presets, Midnight Juggernauts, Cut Copy, spring to mind) as well as some of the more unique metal bands I've ever come across (The Berzerker, Destruktor, Striborg, to name but a few) plus it had a tonne of successful exports in the 80's like Kylie Minogue, Nick Cave, INXS, etc. I've been doing some half-baked research on the subject of Australian music and it turns out the country had a burgeoning "bush band" folk music drawing influence from the nations early convict population, which in turn drew from an old European musical heritage. Notably the poet, author and musician Andrew Barton "Banjo" Paterson wrote the song "Waltzing Matilda" (although it may be a modification of an older pre-existent folk song, with new lyrics) that has sometimes been described as Australia's unofficial national anthem. Plus the country had a brief but encompassing infatuation with rock n' roll in the 50's with artists like Johnny O'Keefe and bands such as Colin Joye and the Joy Boys, before somewhat declining popularity with the rise of the English genre Merseybeat.

I often think that music wouldn't necessarily be stuck in a rut just because humanity finds itself in a technological dark age. If the game is set two hundred yeas after 2077 then I see no good reason why musicians would necessarily be stuck doing the same thing over and over again. Hardship and survival aside, human beings have been improvising and developing new mediums and genres even amidst the most troubling circumstances. That being said there is something in the nature of humanity that wants to revive things once considered lost. If budding post-apocalyptic bards came across old records I suppose they would invariably drawn influence from it, it may even sound entirely novel and new to their ears.

yex-HJ1pkG8

^ One example of Oz's contribution to overall musical awesomeness... :D

Fallout in Africa would basically be Far Cry 2, except with monsters.

Loads of potential here. All of local tribal land disputes, diverse religious demographics and lifestyles, environmental hazards and animals that were pretty lethal even before the advent of nuclear horror and unethical genetics. I'd recommend Fallout: Madagascar for innumerable mutant lemurs and oversized reptiles.

I think it's kinda implied that there has been some huge climate shifts due the war (thus why most of America is largely desert, and why plant life is so dead on the East coast), so it's hard to know what Antartica is like. For all we know, if could be a fairly livable region, especially since it probably didn't get hit by any bombs.

I wonder if all the science stations managed to make a nice life for themselves...

If it's still a frozen snowball of a landmass, like BTG said, there isn't a huge plethora of animals or indigenous cultures in the South Pole. Then again the insatiable Lovecraftian in me wants some sort of At The Mountains Of Madness scenario to take place. If that happens your aforementioned scientists probably aren't having such a great time of it, lush tropical Antarctic paradise or not! :P

575.jpg

^ If this guy isn't a companion in-game then we might as well not bother.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

When close friends speak ill of close friends

they pass their abuse from ear to ear

in dying whispers -

even now, when prayers are no longer prayed.

What sounds like violent coughing

turns out to be laughter.

Shuntarō Tanikawa

Recently I watched a documentary about Eltz Castle, a remarkable late-gothic fairytale survival housed in the Rhineland-Palatinate state of Germany. I was toying with the idea of a Fallout setting in that region of the country, with Eltz Castle being some of notable stronghold in the vein of Diamond City in Fallout 4. Post WW2 it was once French occupied region when Germany was split into various administrations by the allied forces, and geographically it's home to hilly forests, several mountain chains and of course the tributaries of the river Rhine.

I was thinking about the kind of landscape elements, communities and enemies one might find in a post-apocalyptic western Germany. I imagine ruined yet strangely abundant trees aping a kind of wrecked hinterland vibe, whilst numerous ramshackle hamlets (both alive and abandoned) dot the ravaged hills and woods. Rad-resistant wild boars (or even the occasional lynx) are an ever-present hazard, fattened by decades of unfussy omnivorous eating - though even these beasts have the sense to flee from the fearful giant Dire Boars. I recall reading an excellent article in the Fortean Times regarding the urban myths conconcted by America occupational soldiers, and the rumoured remnant Nazi "wehrwolf units" specializing in shapeshifting guerrilla warfare - a potential sinister power group in the setting.

I quite like the idea of Fallout in this context, feel free to add anything to my ramblings if it so pleases you to do so.

Rhineland-Palatinate coat of arms (just picture the lion with two heads ;p)

Coat_of_arms_of_Rhineland-Palatinate.svg

in dying whispers -

Shuntarō Tanikawa

I was watching the second episode of a documentary series on BBC's iPlayer last week called Greece with Simon Reeve, which largely dealt with how the country was dealing with and adapting to the dire financial crisis they are depressingly subject to. Tourism has sharply declined, which is a major blow for a nation of culturally disparate islands and atolls. There was even a feature on a radical sect of "rebel monks" centered on the 1,000 year old Esphigmenou monastery, an ultra traditionalist Orthodox Christian breakaway group opposed to the recent agenda of the Greek Orthodox Church to engender closer ties to Catholicism. They have holed themselves up in the aforementioned monastery nestled in the formidable terrain of Mount Athos, effectively occupying it as well as several other buildings in the region. There have been several failed (and often violent) attempts by both police and mainstream clergy to forcibly remove the monks from the monastery. If that isn't thematic potential for an internecine power struggle in post-apocalyptic Mount Athos I don't know what is!

Flag_of_the_Greek_Orthodox_Church.svg

^ Regional flag of Mount Athos (it has two heads already! ;p)

But riffing on the whole "Fallout takes place in a royally screwed up future" theme, I had a particular scenario in mind for a potential Fallout: Greece - Mount Athos or not. Say there was some hair-brained scheme to do what Greece has always succeeded in doing in times of dire consequences - cashing in on their rich historical heritage. A famous (infamous, in some quarters) eccentric pre-war billionaire patriot vows to turn the nation's fortunes around by attracting tourists back. He makes grand plans to utilize advanced technology and unfettered genetic engineering to resurrect the springwell of mythology and legend his country is associated with. He attempts to create living, breathing monsters to entertain and enthrall paying customers. Griffons, chimeras, centaurs, basilisks, cockatrices, lamias, stymphalian birds, two-headed amphisbaena, minotaurs, manticores, cyclops, scylla, gorgons, catoblepas, the man-eating Mares of Diomedes, need I add more even though I easily could?

Naturally his ideal beasts of antiquity rarely match up with the harrowing and unspeakably deformed results.

Pseudonatural%20Griffon_zpszc40tulj.jpg

^ A strapping young example of a "Griffin" (in the loosest possible sense of the term)

in dying whispers -

Shuntarō Tanikawa

Originally the previous Fallout devs said they'd never do another country but now that Bethesda is running the show I'd love to see something in Asia or Europe in the Fallout universe, show Vault-Tec and the Enclave weren't the only ones who decided "we should build large bunkers and underground complexes"

Like a game set in the ruins of Hong Kong or set in Mexico, they would kinda be really cool.

Originally the previous Fallout devs said they'd never do another country but now that Bethesda is running the show I'd love to see something in Asia or Europe in the Fallout universe, show Vault-Tec and the Enclave weren't the only ones who decided "we should build large bunkers and underground complexes"

Like a game set in the ruins of Hong Kong or set in Mexico, they would kinda be really cool.

Because I didn't know that much about Fallout's lore, it has been pointed out to me that in this universe and timeline much of Europe and Asia is uninhabitable. But for the sake of my own imaginary excursions I chose to supercede the importance (i.e. "ignore") some of these otherwise important details. I agree with you that America and China wouldn't necessarily be the only countries to make contingency plans. And even without them, despite outright nuclear holocaust there would invariably be survivals, perhaps something totally unexpected and contrary to the previous worlds regime.

in dying whispers -

Shuntarō Tanikawa

I honestly don't buy the idea that the only place habitable is America and I think it was just the original devs trying to write off doing another country. Hell, a lot of survivors in America weren't even from vaults. They were just people that got lucky. The only settlements/groups that I can think of that were made by vault dwellers is Shady Sands, Arroyo, Vault City and the Great Khans otherwise everyone else was primarily descendants of people who survived the Great War.

I honestly don't buy the idea that the only place habitable is America

I don't recall any of the lore ever saying that it was... I sincerely doubt Africa was hit very hard by the nukes, or Australia.

I honestly don't buy the idea that the only place habitable is America and I think it was just the original devs trying to write off doing another country. Hell, a lot of survivors in America weren't even from vaults. They were just people that got lucky. The only settlements/groups that I can think of that were made by vault dwellers is Shady Sands, Arroyo, Vault City and the Great Khans otherwise everyone else was primarily descendants of people who survived the Great War.

That's what I've been trying to get at through this thread. Wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that other countries would of had equivalents of Vault-Tec? Or at least some contingency similar to stuffing a best and brightest into a vault somewhere. Some people may of had access to other structures capable of withstanding the worst effects of nuclear holocaust, despite that not being their intended purpose. Locales that possessed deep enough cave systems might of been able to avoid the initial dangers of an atomic apocalypse on the surface. It's fun to account for accidental survivals as much as those who were cherry-picked as the bombs fell.

I don't recall any of the lore ever saying that it was... I sincerely doubt Africa was hit very hard by the nukes, or Australia.

I think I've been giving people on the internet a little too much credit in regards to what is known about the Falloutverse.

Reading various forum archives of fallout.wikia.com there are a lot of boring and unimaginative non-canon assumptions presented as "facts". Why do nerdy lore followers do this? And I feel perfectly legitimate asking that question because I am a lore nerd. Surely a setting, whether its' fantasy or science fiction or even alternative history, should exist to inspire and expand upon it's own themes and diversity, spark the imaginations of the series fanbase and allow the world to organically accumulate new perspectives and exciting variations on it's theme. Instead, when lore-heads get their hands on a franchise they seem to do everything in their capacity to acquire all pertinent official information on the subject, mostly just so they can shoot down anybody who dares present an exceptional scenario or ponder if the world is actually bigger than the main quest everyone is familiar with. Strange how the most liberated of genres can inspire such basic and unwarranted conservatism.

in dying whispers -

Shuntarō Tanikawa

Unzen-Amakusa, Japan: Unzen-Amakusa is a national park in southern-most tip of Japan centred around a volcano called Mount Unzen, encompassing three of the country's prefectures, which are roughly analogous to regions in European countries. It's heavily associated with Japan's early flirtations with Christianity in the 17th century, as well as the more clandestine activities of the Kakure Kirishitan ("hidden Christian") movement that practiced these believes in the Edo period despite religious persecution. There is some real Honest Hearts style potential here, perhaps between an old school Christcentric rebellion against some sort of warped, barely human and technologically enhanced remnant army of lost Japanese imperials - with numerous small settlements and groups caught up in between. I also can't resist the concept of some sort of local kaiju-esque magma monsters periodically emerging from the volcano and various faults exacerbated by the nuclear events of 2077.

in dying whispers -

Shuntarō Tanikawa

I don't think the devs for Fallout are ever going to introduce Japanese-style content into the game. (and this is a good thing IMO) They might however introduce the area, and include some somewhat plausible events/creatures/people. (a christian resurgence would definitely be in the vein of the game)

I don't think the devs for Fallout are ever going to introduce Japanese-style content into the game. (and this is a good thing IMO) They might however introduce the area, and include some somewhat plausible events/creatures/people. (a christian resurgence would definitely be in the vein of the game)

I can see why having a game thematically anchored on the nuclear annihilation of life on earth as we know it set in Japan would be an international narrative faux pas. Still, I try not to limit myself to corporate and cultural ramifications when posting on this thread. I still want to see hardcore Christian resistance cell battling magma dinosaurs.

in dying whispers -

Shuntarō Tanikawa

Fallout in Switzerland would be pretty boring considering the country has enough bomb shelters to shelter more than the entire population. Then again I don't know much about Fallout lore, so maybe that doesn't exist in the universe.

Fallout in Switzerland would be pretty boring considering the country has enough bomb shelters to shelter more than the entire population. Then again I don't know much about Fallout lore, so maybe that doesn't exist in the universe.

I've always stereotyped the Swiss as being pretty resilient and always prepared for the absolute worst case scenario, they held out as a neutral state in WW2 bordering on Germany, who were constantly threatening some sort of annexation and violating Switzerland's airspace - no mean feat in of itself and a miracle of international diplomacy. Perhaps a Fallout: Schaffhausen game could take place from a fully functioning and populated vault filled with working 2077 technology (which functions as the player's home base to which they frequently return) like a European version of Vault 81 in Fallout 4. You character and other inhabitants of the vault make numerous foray onto the surface to discover what took place over the years and to scavenge for materials.

in dying whispers -

Shuntarō Tanikawa

Perhaps a Fallout: Schaffhausen game could take place from a fully functioning and populated vault filled with working 2077 technology (which functions as the player's home base to which they frequently return) like a European version of Vault 81 in Fallout 4. You character and other inhabitants of the vault make numerous foray onto the surface to discover what took place over the years and to scavenge for materials.

So... Fallout Shelter, turned into a standard Fallout game. Wouldn't that just look kinda like Metro 2033?

So... Fallout Shelter, turned into a standard Fallout game. Wouldn't that just look kinda like Metro 2033?

I've never played that, so I'm afraid I wouldn't know. But I bet Metro 2033 has much less irradiated Lindt chocolates in it... ;p

But on a slightly less stereotypical note, one of my favourite websites turned-up this absolute gem of Swiss lore. A marvellous illustrated blog entitled A Book of Creatures has an entry on an obscure Swiss monster called the Butatsch Cun Ilgs, what essentially amounts to a vengeful giant cows stomach covered in eyes, though the link is worth checking out for the badass mythology surrounding the creature. If that doesn't sound like the product of aberrant nuclear breeding I honestly don't know what does.

cows%20stomach_zpswgfdktzn.jpg

in dying whispers -

Shuntarō Tanikawa

Honestly a Fallout shelter themed game would work as some vaults were built to be the size of towns. Like Vault 13 was suppose to be massive and the Fallout movie was going to be around a vault so big it had an actual subway system.