Other countries/locations in the Fallout universe

Sign in to follow this  

I brought this subject in a late night and slightly imbibed conversation up to my geeky friends and DnD buddies Pete and Naomi, and they had a few nuggets of imaginative geographical weirdness to contribute.

• The Ringgold Islands, Yasawa Islands, or some other archipelago in Fiji, all interconnected by a pre-war Austro-American funded teleportation network. There are no large human power groups, just small but highly individual settlements, who are constantly waging war with a race of hive minded rat people. Tropical Skaven/Tyranid style enemies.
  • Puerto Rico. It's a geographically and culturally unique setting despite still be U.S. territory. She suggested densely populated, architecturally diverse Diamond City-style shanty cities and competing mercenary factions with access to pre-war technology.
  • Río Coco, or the Coco River, in Nicaragua. Most of the regions inhabitants (including your character) would be some variety of rad-resistant amphibious ab-humans, and you spend much of your wading through heavily mutated jungles battling giant catfish.
  • Pete just gave me the town of Newcastle-under-Lyme as a place to set a Fallout game. Hamfisted attempts at trolling aside, Newcastle-under-Lyme has an interesting history (wiki) notable as being the place where the engine for the Gloster Meteor fighter jet (the Allies only operational jet powered aircraft during WW2) was built. Also it's in the West Midlands, my particular neck of the woods, so my pathological regionalism compelled me to include it here. It's unashamed bias on my part but I honestly think that the Midlands would be an awesome setting for a Fallout game, whichever town or city you focus on. We're a heavily industrialized and yet deeply ancient part of England, there's so much post-apocalyptic potential in the fabric on contemporary life and history here.

When close friends speak ill of close friends

they pass their abuse from ear to ear

in dying whispers -

even now, when prayers are no longer prayed.

What sounds like violent coughing

turns out to be laughter.

Shuntarō Tanikawa

I brought this subject in a late night and slightly imbibed conversation up to my geeky friends and DnD buddies Pete and Naomi, and they had a few nuggets of imaginative geographical weirdness to contribute.

• The Ringgold Islands, Yasawa Islands, or some other archipelago in Fiji, all interconnected by a pre-war Austro-American funded teleportation network. There are no large human power groups, just small but highly individual settlements, who are constantly waging war with a race of hive minded rat people. Tropical Skaven/Tyranid style enemies.
  • Puerto Rico. It's a geographically and culturally unique setting despite still be U.S. territory. She suggested densely populated, architecturally diverse Diamond City-style shanty cities and competing mercenary factions with access to pre-war technology.
  • Río Coco, or the Coco River, in Nicaragua. Most of the regions inhabitants (including your character) would be some variety of rad-resistant amphibious ab-humans, and you spend much of your wading through heavily mutated jungles battling giant catfish.
  • Pete just gave me the town of Newcastle-under-Lyme as a place to set a Fallout game. Hamfisted attempts at trolling aside, Newcastle-under-Lyme has an interesting history (wiki) notable as being the place where the engine for the Gloster Meteor fighter jet (the Allies only operational jet powered aircraft during WW2) was built. Also it's in the West Midlands, my particular neck of the woods, so my pathological regionalism compelled me to include it here. It's unashamed bias on my part but I honestly think that the Midlands would be an awesome setting for a Fallout game, whichever town or city you focus on. We're a heavily industrialized and yet deeply ancient part of England, there's so much post-apocalyptic potential in the fabric on contemporary life and history here.

I don't know about that. Teleportation was only being made at Big Mountain as far as we know and even then it most likely wasn't fully working until after the war. The Institute didn't create it until after the war as the Institute wasn't around before the great war (While it was C.I.T. it wasn't developed into a massive underground research institute until after the war by the survivors of C.I.T.)

Those two had the brightest minds in America which was going through a massive technological renaissance before the great war due to the war effort and finding new ways to create energy like solar power and micro-fusion.

I've always wanted to see a fallout game take place in China, iirc China had all the cool stuff before the bombs dropped in terms of tech.

But China is a glowing crater.

EarthAfterGreatWar.png

I've always wanted to see a fallout game take place in China, iirc China had all the cool stuff before the bombs dropped in terms of tech.

EarthAfterGreatWar.png

Is that China though? It's hard to tell. Plus China is a really big place

EarthAfterGreatWar.png

Is that China though? It's hard to tell. Plus China is a really big place

As much as this may annoy some of the serious lore advocates, given what has already been said on this thread about it, I tend to ignore it in order to unfetter my imaginationary forays. One of my biggest pet peeves are lore'd-up superfans dismissing concepts that don't fit into their own subjective or conservatively boring interpretation of a fictional world.

in dying whispers -

Shuntarō Tanikawa

As nice as it may be to have a lot of those areas, the fact is that almost every Fallout game states that Europe was almost entirely devoid of all resources, (how can you build a gun to fight mutants when you haven't had food for 200 years?) and China is effectively covered by terrain reminiscent of the Glowing Sea. (including the radiation) This results in a narrowed selection of locations for future Fallout games that don't effectively say 'f*** you!' to all the rest of the games.

It's not just 'lore', but every single one of the games you would have to throw out the window in order to have those locations be habitable.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

I'm not too familiar with the Fallout lore, having only played a few hours of New Vegas and a tiny bit of the first game and Tactics, but what happened to Iceland? Is it far enough away from Europe to survive nuclear explosions?

Since Iceland is technically part of 'Europe', I would assume it to be just as devoid of resources as the rest of Europe. Europe wasn't nuked though, mainly because they weren't a threat to anyone. (theoretically, a single bullet of the cheapest variety in Europe would cost about the same as a full suit of power armor did in the USA, simply because the various metals and chemicals in the bullet were worth that much)

Anybody ever heard of Socotra? It's a small island archipelago off the coast of Yemen that houses with a relatively modest population of people, but also hosts one of the strangest and most alien looking ecosystems on the planet. The plants and trees in particular are utterly unique and found nowhere else, in either the Middle East or anywhere else on the planet.

Socotra%20Desert%20Blossom_zpsqoqshyyz.jpg

An example of the islands strangely bulbous Desert Blooms, adapted to living on rocky and infertile ground.

Socotra%20Cactus_zpsaouvg395.jpeg

An alien looking Dragons Blood Tree, endemic to Socotra and a peculiar species of what I assume is a cactus.

Being an isolated island, the local wildlife is utterly unique too, according to quote sourced from an Alan Burdick article a scientific survey of Socotra in the 1990's concluded that it housed "nearly 700 endemic species, found nowhere else on earth; only Hawaii, New Caledonia, and the Galápagos Islands have more impressive numbers". This includes a large number of native bird species, peculiar reptiles such as legless lizards, geckos and chameleons, few mammalian species aside from bats and introduced domestic animals such as cats and goats, many insects including large crickets and whip spiders, and even a coral reef inhabited by plenty of aquatic invertebrates and fish.

The ecological traits of the island aren't the only things of note however. It's home to several caves (search for either Halah or Hoq cave for some fancy geology) that explorers have found carved graffiti from numerous visitors throughout history and rendered in a wide array of languages. The island and it's attendant neighbouring islets are composed of coastal plains and deserts, numerous giant rocks off the coast housing populations of seabirds, as well as chaotic mountainous terrain. In amongst this ancient Gondwanan landscape are examples of Yemen's picturesque traditional towns and villages, clustered onto lumpen features of the area like limpets on rocks.

Socotra-Tank%201_zpswnt79p4q.jpg

Socotra-Tank%202_zpspcp5mzh7.jpg

^ I'll admit that most photos of Socotra are pretty idealistic, these two were the most post-apocalyptic I could find.

With a "real life" historical background of the Socotran sultanate using diplomacy to fend off much of the previous centuries colonial machinations, and a diverse ethnic makeup of Mehri, Somali, Arabs, Black Africans and Indians, a Fallout: Socotra could make for an interesting place to explore. If you can suspend your disbelief for a moment and subscribe to a scenario in which the islands unique and independent culture held on, despite the destruction of nuclear holocaust, and that from the ashes of the disaster arose an ecosystem that mutated unaccountably and went absolutely wild. Imagine the potential enemies and power groups that could exist in such a place, the sort of communities that might arise in it.

DISCLAIMER: Please note that I'll probably ignore any and all posts relating to how "ermahgerd only da Amerikas was sufifed afta da wor" and thusly anywhere in Africa, Europe or Asia (despite each being enormous and unfathomably diverse continents) would be totally devoid of anything interesting because of boring and unimaginative lore bias. No offence.

EDIT: Meanwhile, in Venezuela. An environmental sapient slime monster biding it's time? :3

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

in dying whispers -

Shuntarō Tanikawa

I would actually like to see a Fallout game set in Australia... It would probably be the least damaged, and would likely deal more with immigrating mutants and the like than actual mutants originating on the continent. (though it would be cool to see a kangaroo that was mutated to be the outback's version of a deathclaw, and koalas that are on-par with behemoths)

The amount of potential mutant wildlife in a Fallout: Outback makes me giddy... :3

Falloutback?

This random YouTuber is getting laid with random hot dudes, and is basically the worst person in existence. Why? Just watch the free video.

Red and yellow do go together.

Selfsurprise, I think you may have found the one middle eastern area that would be relatively untouched after nuclear war... I'd love to see a game set there.

Falloutback?

I'd start a petition to call it that.

Selfsurprise, I think you may have found the one middle eastern area that would be relatively untouched after nuclear war... I'd love to see a game set there.

I'm pleasantly surprised to read that. I guess that makes me, Selfsurprised.

david-caruso-gif-speed-glasses.gif?w=430&h=256

in dying whispers -

Shuntarō Tanikawa

Fallout up north, like Canada, or Minnesota, you know, some place with snow, especially during the winter time. (Minnesota mainly, because that's where I'm from/live.) Make it winter themed, and maybe story DLC set in Christmas, Fallout style.

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA

It would be kind of cool to see Fallout: The Moon. Maybe there could be a small cameo from Ross.

This random YouTuber is getting laid with random hot dudes, and is basically the worst person in existence. Why? Just watch the free video.

It would be kind of cool to see Fallout: The Moon. Maybe there could be a small cameo from Ross.

What would you do there, apart from bounce around and eventually run out of air?

What would you do there, apart from bounce around and eventually run out of air?

Visit the secret nazi space station on the other side of the moon of course!

There would probably also be a space suit DLC that lets you breathe for a few more seconds.

One of the major things in Fallout is the mutated flora/fauna... Where would you see that if you're on the moon? (since the moon was never nuked)

One of the major things in Fallout is the mutated flora/fauna... Where would you see that if you're on the moon? (since the moon was never nuked)

Space nazi expreiments on animals and plants!

Space nazi expreiments on animals and plants!

Astronaut Werewolves. Who are also communists.

:3

in dying whispers -

Shuntarō Tanikawa

Hey, why not?