Rain World

This game is a lot of fun for the right person. Its intentionally obscure about the mechanics forcing you to experiment to figure out how to progress, how to evade, how to survive. In my opinion, it should have been a little shorter as it starts to drag around the 15-hour mark.

Something I wish I would have known before playing:

Spoiler

The symbols gained when resting are the karma system and are directly related to which doors you can open.

I made an account just to say I vehemently disagree with the above post.

Rain World is one of the best and most memorable games I've played, but I can understand why some people don't like it. The right mindset to enjoy the game is to treat it not as a game but as a simulation of a hostile alien environment, because that's essentially what it is. I mean, it's still a game, complete with an obliquely-presented story and deep (and even more obliquely-presented and missable) lore, but it's also merciless in prioritising the integrity of its simulated world over trifling things like convenience, steady progression, and fairness - and, in a perverse way, the overall experience is better for this.

Making it to a safe room seconds before the rain gets heavy enough to crush your little slugcat body is all the more rewarding knowing the game wasn't helping you along; cowering under some overhang, watching lizards and vultures being swept away by the storm and knowing you'll be next, is the more poignant for knowing it's not some scripted event.

Rain World WILL frustrate you (I ragequit a dozen times) but it's more because the game just doesn't care about your feelings than it is any control or design issues as the previous post suggests. The controls are simple but take some getting used to - they are weighty, responsive and surprisingly deep, with a number of "hidden" movement mechanics to be found if you throw your physics-based protagonist around in creative ways.  Likewise, there are myriad surprising ways to interact with the world and its denizens.

It's not for everyone, but it is in my opinion a shining example of what games can be when you ignore conventional wisdom about what games should be.

I super like this game... i think its something special and more people need to play and talk about this game... for me its so good that I compare to the first "Prince of Persia"... allready a classic.

On 9/17/2019 at 11:20 PM, RaTcHeT302 said:

It's not that I hate the game, to the point where I don't want it to exist or anything, it's just not my type of game mostly, that's all.

Yeah sorry if I came across a little confrontational there. It's just your experience is so different to my own that I felt I had to put mine out there. No disrespect intended.

If you want to enjoy this game, look up guides and tutorials: there is a lot of useful knowledge that the game will never give you; like how to perform special jumps, or get certain creatures to help you.

I absolutely loved this game, it genuinely makes you feel like an animal scared for your life. Every new thing could be a threat, you are constantly in need of food and shelter and you don't understand what is really going on. I love when a game has vision instead of committee enforced guidelines and accessibility concerns.

I think Rain World is best experienced as blind as possible, but the game is purposely brutal and a bit obtuse so personal discretion is advised. 

This game changed my view on games forever, would highly recommend a playthrough to anybody willing to put in the time to truly get everything out of it. All time favorite.

Gripping atmosphere, vicious, even often unfair difficulty and nice, simplistic graphics. I agree that it's best to go in blind. 

I totally get the appeal of this but there were just too many hostile gameplay elements piled on top of each other for me personally to have any fun with it. I'm not surprised to see that Ross passed on it; not being able to advance to new areas without attaining a high enough karma all but guarantees any playthrough of this to be rather grindy and tedious.