Alan Wake

Haha, Mortal Kombat is out of pure nostalgia, but mostly it's a matter of not having a really great computer, although I did just make one from old free parts, so I'll be playing Duke Matches on PC.. So how about you? What are your favorites?

I love a lot of the pre 2000's DOS games but after 2000 Half-life 1/2 and their enormous amount of mods gets me going forever. Of the strategy games I love Cossacks Back to War/Warcraft 2000, Civilization series (Although only mods as the original feels uncompleted) or sometimes Starcraft (But I would have to get into it), of the racing games probably DTM Race Driver 3 was the best game for me, Need for Speed series are decent, although I mostly like Hot Pursuit/Porsche (Old) and Underground for completely different reasons. Of the quest games I re-play Alone in the Dark 1/2/3 or Goblins1/2/3 and find more goodies, I still haven't beaten the third of Alone in the dark and none of the Goblins as it's too damn hard

That used to be me.

I don't play much anymore though, too much time is wasted on producing music

"When a son is born, the father will go up to the newborn baby, sword in hand; throwing it down, he says, "I shall not leave you with any property: You have only what you can provide with this weapon."

I absolutely loved Alan Wake.

The story was poignant, the graphics were breathtaking, the voice acting was phenomenal. I think I had one tiny gripe about the game - the combat system becomes very repetitive and annoying after a while, but it is creative, and like the Silent Hill series gives you a sense of dread and a fear of combat. Your protagonist isn't a trained soldier, he's an author; he isn't meant to fight like a SEAL.

As far as consoles versus computers goes - who cares? Your choice of console, videogame, novel, film, or music doesn't define who you are. Accusations that all console gamers are sheeple or inherently idiots is absolutely ridiculous. I play an Epiphone LP Standard; I don't feel superior to anybody that rocks a Squire.

I play an Epiphone LP Standard; I don't feel superior to anybody that rocks a Squire.

And you shouldn't... A good Squire is better...

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Alan Wake WAS supposed to come out on PC, but Microsoft, being the douchebags they usually are, made it an XBOX exclusive. That sort of decisions just piss me off. I mean, there's NO reason it wouldn't be released on PC, none at all. It would've increased their profit, it would've made them connect better with PC owners and it would've made me able to friggin' play the damn thing.

What were they thinking?

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

I play an Epiphone LP Standard; I don't feel superior to anybody that rocks a Squire.

Missing the point entirely, I see. :P

Missing the point entirely, I see.

Intentionally...

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Alan Wake WAS supposed to come out on PC, but Microsoft, being the douchebags they usually are, made it an XBOX exclusive. That sort of decisions just piss me off. I mean, there's NO reason it wouldn't be released on PC, none at all. It would've increased their profit, it would've made them connect better with PC owners and it would've made me able to friggin' play the damn thing.

What were they thinking?

If it wasn't such a sleeper hit, it would have been a killer app. That would have made people get the console, and therefore increase the profit higher than a bunch of people pirating this awesome game. You wouldn't have pirated it? Great, now they have 40 bucks, and that's not profit. - At least, I bet this was their reasoning. It's not their fault you won't bother playing it it, Heck, can you still rent consoles? I'd say rent one and the game - they won't see any profit, but you'd get to play it.. and it would cost less for you than buying the console

...Then there's actual Gibson's...

Is pirating a game on PC any different than burning a copy and playing it on a chipped console? If people want to play games for free they'll always find a way.

I would've bought it if it was on PC. I bought Max Payne.

Yeah, the 500 in Microsoft's pocket for getting the console to play the game on. This is true, they sure will, and in my mind, why PC gamers regularly seem to loose out from time to time..

What were they thinking?

The devs would have got a lot of money to make it exclusive, how do you know bringing it to PC would have increased profits?

I really wish they'd brought this game out on PC. I would have purchased it. Instead they announced that they'd cancelled the PC version right near release.
It's worse than that. Not only was it originally developed for PC, but I read the entire structure of the game was changed to accommodate the console market. Originally it was going to be more like a cross between classic adventure games and sort of the free-roaming aspect of GTA games, where you really kind of explore and investigate things. I haven't played it, but I heard the modified version is far more narrow in scope and has more of a shooter emphasis. I'm sure the end result is good, but I get the impression it would have been even better if it wasn't aiming for a lower common denominator.

I really wish they'd brought this game out on PC. I would have purchased it. Instead they announced that they'd cancelled the PC version right near release.
It's worse than that. Not only was it originally developed for PC, but I read the entire structure of the game was changed to accommodate the console market. Originally it was going to be more like a cross between classic adventure games and sort of the free-roaming aspect of GTA games, where you really kind of explore and investigate things. I haven't played it, but I heard the modified version is far more narrow in scope and has more of a shooter emphasis. I'm sure the end result is good, but I get the impression it would have been even better if it wasn't aiming for a lower common denominator.

Agreed 100%.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

I've read that the free-roam aspects were cut in favor of linearity for pacing, which I can understand.

"That which you do not know, is not a moral charge against you; but that which you refuse to know, is an account of infamy growing in your soul. Make every allowance for errors of knowledge; do not forgive or accept any breach of morality."