Did You Know...

Sign in to follow this  

Did you know that Will Wright, co-founder of the video game company Maxis, was born in Atlanta, Georgia?

Do you feel blame? Are you mad? Uh, do you feel like wolf kabob Roth vantage? Gefrannis booj pooch boo jujube; bear-ramage. Jigiji geeji geeja geeble Google. Begep flagaggle vaggle veditch-waggle bagga?

Did you know that Maxis' Game Spore was originally going to be awesome?

They call me Snake. They call me Es Rake. They call me Srahkay. That's nahmaname. That's nahmaname. That's not my... name.

I found Spore to be quite good... Until I watched vids of the earlier version. Why did it have to be childified :(

I WANT MY UNDERWATER STAGE!

Did you know that I thought the exact same thing?

I WANT MY GOD DAMN PROCEDURAL ANIMATION!

They call me Snake. They call me Es Rake. They call me Srahkay. That's nahmaname. That's nahmaname. That's not my... name.

Did you know that procedural generation can significantly reduce the amount of memory overhead a game requires?

For example, the game Infinity Online (currently in development) instead of having stored data that is retrieved to index the several thousand star systems (many of which have planets, space stations and cities on them), a highly complicated set of algorithims are used to generate on-the-fly persistent appearances of these star systems. That way, instead of the game having to contain compressed data of many planets, it stores uncompressed data by way of a series of complicated math formulas that create them when needed in a predictable pattern.

These math formulas are easier and smaller to store than the direct data itself. This is one of two principles to why and when procedural generation is used. The other is when unique animations, textures, models or other data, is needed on demand. An example of this would be a program which automatically generates unique humans for citizens in Half-Life 2, instead of the game drawing upon 18 pre-constructed faces and 8 pre-constructed bodies.

This is a nice metric server. No imperial dimensions, please.

i_hug_that_feel.png

Did you know that Memology (the Study of Memes) is still not yet a science?

Did you know that one of the ingredients in Chicken McNuggets is an anti-foaming agent (Dimethylpolysiloxane) which is used in caulks, sealants, Silly Putty and is even used as a filler for breast implants? :sick:

I don't like writer's block, I prefer to call it writer's parry.

Did you know that eating anti-foaming agents is dangerous?

Also:

Did you know that procedural generation can significantly reduce the amount of memory overhead a game requires?

For example, the game Infinity Online (currently in development) instead of having stored data that is retrieved to index the several thousand star systems (many of which have planets, space stations and cities on them), a highly complicated set of algorithims are used to generate on-the-fly persistent appearances of these star systems. That way, instead of the game having to contain compressed data of many planets, it stores uncompressed data by way of a series of complicated math formulas that create them when needed in a predictable pattern.

These math formulas are easier and smaller to store than the direct data itself. This is one of two principles to why and when procedural generation is used. The other is when unique animations, textures, models or other data, is needed on demand. An example of this would be a program which automatically generates unique humans for citizens in Half-Life 2, instead of the game drawing upon 18 pre-constructed faces and 8 pre-constructed bodies.

Yes I did know that, and considering that Tribes 2 used mostly procedural generation, it was the first really good example of what procedural generation was capable of.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Did you know I can't wait for Guild Wars 2?

Did you know that if I were to stop playing WoW right now, my productivity would sky-rocket?

Retired Forum Moderator

Did you know that if you burn hydrogen it will explode and leave behind steam?

I see what you did there.

did you know I'm tired as hell even though I've been sleeping most of the day?

Retired Forum Moderator

Did you know that I've managed to completely screw up my sleep schedule yet I don't even feel tired at all?

I don't like writer's block, I prefer to call it writer's parry.

Did you know that guy has Terminal Boneitis?

"Stand in the ashes of a trillion dead souls, and asks the ghosts if honour matters! The silence is your answer." -Javik, Mass Effect 3