New 'Mind' idea, feedback anyone?

Sign in to follow this  

This conversation is getting weird.

I'm not going to say that the OP should or shouldn't start their own mind series. Given the brief explanation, who can say whether it'll be good or not? I mean, explaining Ross Scott's Freeman's Mind series briefly, that sounds lame itself. It isn't until you actually watch the the series do you realize that it's actually funny. You want to know whether a series is going to work, look at the number of views the video gets once it's released, that'll tell you how many are watching.

I will give my input on the entire [Characters] Mind idea. I'm not a person who'll say that something is good or bad unless I've actually watched it, and I have given several of the series out there a good watching, and I have to say, generally, I don't care much for any of them. That's probably the opinion of the majority of the people too. The views and favourites that Freeman's Mind gets are off the chart in comparison to any other Mind series out there.

So what makes Freeman's Mind so much better than the rest? I believe it to be a combination of several things, which just happened to blend in all together nicely. First thing is our protagonists personality, which was provided to us by Ross Scott. I believe HLPrincess covers this best in the Freeman's Zodiac Sign thread...

personality profile: high energy, seeks adventure, pioneer, first to take risk, enthusiastic, courageus, acts first - thiks later, independent, determinate, talkative, extravertic

but also: MOODY, SARCASTIC, BOSSY, SHORT TEMPERED, SELF-INVOLVED, IMPULSIVE, IMPATIENT, EGOISTIC, AROGANT :mrgreen: doesn't like to follow someone's orders, easily takes offens on comments made, "me first" attitude, POSSIBLE BURSTS OF ANGER BECAUSE OF TOO MUCH ACCUMULATED ENERGY :lol:

Overall, it's a personality that we all can't help but laugh at. He's just that type of asshole. = \ Now that I think about it, if someone came up with a similar personality, it would seem like they were ripping it off from this series, while if it's different, it's probably not as funny. There really is no winning.

The second thing which makes the series good is the game itself. It's not necessarily that Half-Life is a good or bad game. It's an awesome game, but that's irrelevant to the success of this series. Otherwise other Mind Series would be a little more successful. What I believe makes Half-Life a great game for a Mind series is the fact that it's such an odd situation. Most FPS's are very direct in their situation. Well trained Protagonist in a simple to understand situation, entering direct confrontation, time after time.

Gordon Freeman isn't a well trained soldier, he's a lab monkey. The situation isn't easy to understand, as it's paranormal. While it's arguable that getting shot up by military who are suppose to rescue you during a mass cover up may or may not happen often, it's not every day (or even century) that aliens teleport in front of you from out of nowhere. And confrontations are not so direct, as I just said, they appear out of nowhere.

As an added topping, the company that is suppose to be in charge of the settings that the majority of the game takes place in, Black Mesa, appears to be very half-assed about... well... everything. Even if you haven't even watched Freeman's Mind and just played through Half-Life 1 on your own, you've probably noticed it all. If it isn't something that falls apart, than it's something that makes no sense. A self destructing vent, doors locked on work days, catwalks that crumble the moment the wind passes by, a giant box smashing room, ladders that lead nowhere, emergency ladders out of reach in elevator shafts, a river of toxic waste. The list goes on. While it's all nonsensical, they're all situations that provide a great deal of humor. A lot of it you don't see in many other video games. Most video games, the settings are pretty stable. Even Half-Life 2, it was rare for me to stop and stare at something, asking "wtf?"

This entire "second thing" all adds up to a long string of funniness, which several video games lack, and other Mind series creators haven't really noticed. I mean, HL Opposing Force and Blue Shift are good because it's the exact same setting as Half-Life. F.E.A.R. 1 is a game I love probably as much as Half-Life, but the real "wtf?" moments are really limited to Alma/Fettel Mindfuck moments. Those moments were even prettier during Extraction Point, I still twitch over what happened with Holiday. Besides those insane times, everything is pretty simple and direct. Wave of lemming troops coming to kill you. The waves become more frequent with F.E.A.R. 2, and Alma appearances die down as well.

I'm not saying you shouldn't create a Mind series with this type of video game. If you can keep up a good string of relevant talk and jokes during those repetitive waves of enemies, by all means go for it. If you can't though, it's either going to be filled with silent moments, boring content, or if the jokes aren't relevant to what's happening around you, you may as well be creating a comedy CD.

The third thing needed revolves around production. Kudos to Ross Scott for his work on Freeman's Mind. The editing is well done, you barely notice transitions that happen at check points, the quality is always amazing. The voice acting is always so awesomely done as well. No childish voice acting from some little kid, and even the more familiar Mind Series creators don't really seem too immersed in the role. Ross Scott? He should have played the Genie in Aladin.

Sing it Ross.

Mr. Aladdin Sir, what will your pleasure be? Let me take your order, jot it down, you ain't never had a friend like me.

This post got long beyond reason. I'm leaving it at that.

I've entertained the idea of a "Faith's Mind" for Mirror's Edge but unfortunately due to being a male I figured it was a no-go. Perhaps one of the female's around here should pickup the idea. While she isn't exactly a "silent" protagonist she comes fairly close to it other then a few cutscenes.

I dunno, I can't really see a Faith's Mind being very good. Even with a woman voice acting. She's not a silent character, she responds to the radio most of the time throughout the game, even talks to her sister, and yes, the cutscenes. This is why I like mind series for characters who have virtally no personality. (with the rare exception of Barney's Mind) The mind maker can make his own without having to conflict with the 'real one'.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Kaweebo/

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones."

VALVE: "Sometimes bugs take more than eighteen years to fix."

I dunno, I can't really see a Faith's Mind being very good. Even with a woman voice acting. She's not a silent character, she responds to the radio most of the time throughout the game, even talks to her sister, and yes, the cutscenes. This is why I like mind series for characters who have virtally no personality. (with the rare exception of Barney's Mind) The mind maker can make his own without having to conflict with the 'real one'.

Point of advice: When thinking of a personallity of a character that has none in your mind sieries, don't make him a cynical guy that yells alot. Please. :x

Point of advice: When thinking of a personallity of a character that has none in your mind sieries, don't make him a cynical guy that yells alot. Please. :x

Heh, yeah. I'm not planning on making a mind series, but yeah, the cynical guy role is pretty overdone. But see this is why I think there really shouldn't be mind series for every game out there. It's just not worth it. Especially a Duke's Mind, lord knows how many people will get pissed off when you try to impersonate John St John. Freeman's Mind, and other good ones like Shephard's Mind, have their own original personalities, for characters who have none.

This conversation is getting weird.

I'm not going to say that the OP should or shouldn't start their own mind series. Given the brief explanation, who can say whether it'll be good or not? I mean, explaining Ross Scott's Freeman's Mind series briefly, that sounds lame itself. It isn't until you actually watch the the series do you realize that it's actually funny. You want to know whether a series is going to work, look at the number of views the video gets once it's released, that'll tell you how many are watching.

I will give my input on the entire [Characters] Mind idea. I'm not a person who'll say that something is good or bad unless I've actually watched it, and I have given several of the series out there a good watching, and I have to say, generally, I don't care much for any of them. That's probably the opinion of the majority of the people too. The views and favourites that Freeman's Mind gets are off the chart in comparison to any other Mind series out there.

So what makes Freeman's Mind so much better than the rest? I believe it to be a combination of several things, which just happened to blend in all together nicely. First thing is our protagonists personality, which was provided to us by Ross Scott. I believe HLPrincess covers this best in the Freeman's Zodiac Sign thread...

personality profile: high energy, seeks adventure, pioneer, first to take risk, enthusiastic, courageus, acts first - thiks later, independent, determinate, talkative, extravertic

but also: MOODY, SARCASTIC, BOSSY, SHORT TEMPERED, SELF-INVOLVED, IMPULSIVE, IMPATIENT, EGOISTIC, AROGANT :mrgreen: doesn't like to follow someone's orders, easily takes offens on comments made, "me first" attitude, POSSIBLE BURSTS OF ANGER BECAUSE OF TOO MUCH ACCUMULATED ENERGY :lol:

Overall, it's a personality that we all can't help but laugh at. He's just that type of asshole. = \ Now that I think about it, if someone came up with a similar personality, it would seem like they were ripping it off from this series, while if it's different, it's probably not as funny. There really is no winning.

Oh wow! Thanks for quoting me :D and nice you agree on my Freeman's zodiac characteristic's

I must say I read carefully only the part up to my zodiac reasoning, but I'll read rest as well ;)

It seems you have very similar view on why FM is so unique and ...GREAT!... :D

Ross's girlfriend (IRL) Twitter: @AmazingMagda follow me! ^^to somewhere! ^^

I had a mind series in Quake 2 for a few months that was apart of my dark checkered past.

You also had another one, but we won't talk about that.

Ok, now I'm interested. What was it, a Leisure Suit Larry kind of deal?

Sometimes I take too many boots to the head and down a whole bottle of Tylenol to delude myself into thinking I'm funny. During these delusions I sometimes made Mind Series which are so bad watching them makes my stomach cringe and my eyes hop out to go find a new home.

R.I.P Stephen "Anti-Social Fatman" Bray

"In the meantime, the sun will be rising. You will know all, and I will not feel this dread any longer."

Sometimes I take too many boots to the head and down a whole bottle of Tylenol to delude myself into thinking I'm funny.

Been there brother :?

During these delusions I sometimes made Mind Series which are so bad watching them makes my stomach cringe and my eyes hop out to go find a new home.

I would watch that. I can't guarantee I'll like it, but I'd give it a shot.

I bring you mortal danger and cookies. Not necessarily in that order.

http://www.youtube.com/jclc

oi

I'd like to see a horror game mind such as F.E.A.R or deadspace 1 mind series. Both also have silent protagonists

Look up The Point Man's Mind by Triox45, it's really good.

Well so much for my super original idea. I've seen a few episodes now. It seems to be getting better

Or- keeping in the realm of FEAR- you could to Becket's Mind from FEAR 2 Project Origin. Unless someone else has done that (I think I saw a Becket's Mind once on Youtube, but I cannot be sure).

I'm doing something like that right now for New Vegas. It's still early days though. First episode is in my signature.

Your accent sounds like a cross between Chinese and Australian to me...

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Why not do a mind of yourself in a game like Fallout 3 or New Vegas. That way, you can truly be yourself?

I'm doing something like that right now for New Vegas. It's still early days though. First episode is in my signature.

Self insert fan fiction minds? Could work. Not my cup of tea but well there you have it.

Your accent sounds like a cross between Chinese and Australian to me...

lol that's because I AM Chinese :P. As for the Australian accent, I'm not sure where you got that. I live in England now, so maybe you got the 2 accents confused.

COURIER'S MIND: RISE OF NEW VEGAS

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2181

http://www.youtube.com/user/101Phase?feature=mhee

SEASON 5 WILL AIR IN SUMMER 2013!

Must be the combination of the accents that made it sound different...

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.