Your Favorite PS2 Games

I loved the ps1, but no console has bested it's successor. Today, it's the best selling console of all time, with one of the biggest game libraries in history. So what are you're favorite games from this awesome console?

I think I'll do a top 5.

5. Spiderman 2

914915_20040621_screen001.jpg

This one was just really really fun. Think GTA if you were Spiderman, and you were responsible for saving the citizens. You're put in an open world Manhattan and given open objectives revolving around the city. The swinging mechanic was extremely intuitive yet complex, allowing the player to choose the general direction to shoot web, then use the analog stick to choose the direction of the momentum of the swing. Then, they could do things like mid air tricks, speed boosts, double web slingshots, loop de loops, it was amazingly fun. The wide story arch matched the movie, but there were a ton of classic villians with pretty big mission trees. Mysterio was definitely my favorite one. You spend like 3 hours of gameplay chasing him, then when you finally see him in person, he goes down in one punch. :lol:

4. Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy

Jak+and+daxter.jpg

This one was my first PS2 game when I got the console. I recently went back and finally got all 101 power cells (from a new save) and it was just as fun as I remembered. This game is really THE 3d platformer in my book. It has every cliche and stigma from the genre, but it pulls it off SO well. That, and it has a talking weasel that sits on your shoulder while you play.

3. Ico

206624-ico_pic01_super.jpg

There are a lot of things I could say about Ico, but it can be summed up in only a few words. Beautiful, heartbreaking, stunning. It's just one of those truly original games that sucks you into the story not through it's basic puzzler gameplay, but through it's characters, one of whom you must care for throughout the whole game. If it weren't for this game, I wouldn't have originally understood the potential for gaming as an artform, and I'm sure many who have played this game can say the same.

2. Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal

wallpaper_ratchet_and_clank_up_your_arsenal_01_1600.jpg.w300h225.jpg

This one is another game that is simply a wonderful mixture of excellent game design and excellent character. The gameplay is fantastic in that it just plays SO WELL. You'll find yourself playing for hours on end because there's enough variation and choice that it can certainly last. I've played this game through maybe 5 or 6 times, and it's a long one. This is the pinnacle of Insomniac Games' excellence. Still waiting for an HD Ratchet collection on ps3...

1. Shadow of the Colossus

SotC-Screen-1.jpg

This one, on top of being my favorite PS2 game, is my favorite game of all time. It excels even past Ico at drawing the player into a mostly obscured storyline, in a world the player knows little about. The key thing I love about Shadow of the Colossus is the world. The player is given a labyrinthine land of enormous size to explore, and goddamn is it beautiful. There's an area where the player walks over a bridge, toward a forested area, and at this spot, you can look down on a stepped series of immense waterfalls, each flowing down into a river that spans the game world. This spot is one of the most beautiful in the game, and I always seek it out when I'm on my way to that colossus. I haven't even gotten to the Colossi, have I? They're amazing in scale and design. The third (pictured) is my favorite, certainly. The battle takes place on a platform high above a wide lake. You swim out and climb up onto the platform before the battle. You see a pile of rubble on the center of the platform. Suddenly, as you get closer, the rubble moves and stands before you as a lumbering creature with an enormous stone sword with which you climb onto his body.

Every colossus is worth talking about, all 16 of them, but you have to experience this game for yourself. It's really one of the most amazing you will ever have the pleasure to play.

Grand theft auto vice city

And when he gets to heaven,

To saint Peter he will tell;

One more soldier reporting, sir.

I've served my time in Hell!

I've got to agree with spiderman, the web swinging alone was awesome. My favourite was probably Metal gear solid: Snake eater. The huge sniper battle with The End is by far the best boss fight I've ever played. It was difficult and required heaps of patience to flank him. You can even just shoot him before it starts and skip the whole thing or save and don't play for like a week and he'll die of old age.

There are a few obscure PS2 games that are my favorites.

1. Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits

This game is definitely, by far, the best PS2 game I've played. Almost no one outside of Japan has heard of it, and I don't even think it got the hype/advertising I think it deserved there.

2. DBZ Budokai 1

This game had phenomenal voice acting, solid gameplay, and was the most accurate storyline wise. The soundtrack is pretty amazing, as well.

I'll think of some more later; I'm sure there are others.

Do you feel blame? Are you mad? Uh, do you feel like wolf kabob Roth vantage? Gefrannis booj pooch boo jujube; bear-ramage. Jigiji geeji geeja geeble Google. Begep flagaggle vaggle veditch-waggle bagga?

Killer7 and Red Faction

R.I.P Stephen "Anti-Social Fatman" Bray

"In the meantime, the sun will be rising. You will know all, and I will not feel this dread any longer."

The first two God of War games, Mortal Kombat: Deception, MK: Shaolin Monks, MK: Armageddon, FFVII: Dirge of Cerberus, and Monster Hunter.

"Fool me once, shame on you! Fool me twice, EVERYONE DIES!" - Gordon Freeman

Though some aren't ps2 exclusives, I played them on the ps2 and had a great time with them.

1. Capcom vs Snk2

2. God of War

3. War of the Monsters

4. Ghost Recon Jungle Storm

5. Capcom vs Marvel

"Alyxx Thorne: Batman/10"

"HLPrincess: Also, I'm very proud we have Batman Himself on the Forum."

3. War of the Monsters

No.

Way.

I used to play this game ALL the TIME. I think I even still have the disk somewhere in my huge pile of old PS2 games.

Do you feel blame? Are you mad? Uh, do you feel like wolf kabob Roth vantage? Gefrannis booj pooch boo jujube; bear-ramage. Jigiji geeji geeja geeble Google. Begep flagaggle vaggle veditch-waggle bagga?

3. War of the Monsters

No.

Way.

I used to play this game ALL the TIME. I think I even still have the disk somewhere in my huge pile of old PS2 games.

I.

Know.

This game was awesome! I'm pretty sure I got all the levels, I didn't get the secret characters though, not enough patience.

Hey did anyone here play Goblin Commander btw for the PS2, its not in my top 5, but it was pretty awesome for an RTS console game.

"Alyxx Thorne: Batman/10"

"HLPrincess: Also, I'm very proud we have Batman Himself on the Forum."

Gta III

Gta: Vice City

Spider-Man 2

Twisted Metal: Black

Metal Gear Solid 2

Star Wars: Battlefront 2

State of Emergency

Kingdom Hearts

The Sims Bustin' out

Resident Evil Outbreak

I spent about five straight years on my PS2, these games were the main ones I focused on. I finally remembered.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

"It's time to evolve. That's why we're troubled. You know why our institutions are failing us, the church, the state, everything's failing? It's because they're no longer relevant...Evolution did not end with us growing opposable thumbs."

I honestly never liked the PS2...

No.

Anyway, J@D series, R©C series, Crash Bandicoot (to a certain degree) Spyro, any Star Wars game, the list is endless.

EDIT: HAVE to mention MGS series!

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Kaweebo/

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones."

VALVE: "Sometimes bugs take more than eighteen years to fix."

No.

No what? The PS2 was the worst of the Playstation consoles.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

No.

No what? The PS2 was the worst of the Playstation consoles.

I never played much on the PS2 so I have no idea how good it was, but most sixth generation consoles weren't considered very good.

I loved my PS2. Especially Red Faction. Of all the PS2 games they made the first remains my favorite. Even if the lack of autosave severely screwed me over at times. Damned modern games spoil us!

Retired Forum Moderator

I think the only reason people bought the PS2 was because it combined a game system with a DVD player so people had this sense of saving money on it.

Otherwise, it's not a bad system but I can't really think of any good games for it that weren't also on PC with much better controls. And often the ones people mention, like God of War, aren't games I've ever had any relationship to.

I mean, where did Wipeout, Crash Bandicoot and Spyro go? After the PS1 they all sort of vanished or started sucking...

The biggest reason people bought the PS2 was Grand Theft Auto but even those games also got released on PC anyway and were much more modable on the PC.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

Otherwise, it's not a bad system but I can't really think of any good games for it that weren't also on PC with much better controls. And often the ones people mention, like God of War, aren't games I've ever had any relationship to.

I mean, where did Wipeout, Crash Bandicoot and Spyro go? After the PS1 they all sort of vanished or started sucking...

The biggest reason people bought the PS2 was Grand Theft Auto but even those games also got released on PC anyway and were much more modable on the PC.

None of the games in my list were on anything but PS2. From what you say, it sounds like you've ignored the major PS2 platformer series'. (Ratchet, Jak, Sly) if you can't name any yourself.

Crash Bandicoot was ended by Naughty Dog, who then made the great Jak and Daxter series. Spyro was dropped by Insomniac, who then made the Ratchet series, all PS2 exclusive.

On GTA, I never played it myself, so it certainly wasn't the reason I bought a PS2.