Other Characters in FM

Sign in to follow this  

So here's something I've been wondering. Why is it Freeman never acknowledges the existence of Barney, Eli or Kleiner? I was under the impression that they're supposed to be quite close. FM 1 came out late in 2007, so Ross should definitely have played all of the HL2 contents by then. Did he overlook this or is it deliberate? And if so, how will he explain the reactions from Barney and co in HL2 (assuming FM reaches HL2).

COURIER'S MIND: RISE OF NEW VEGAS

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2181

http://www.youtube.com/user/101Phase?feature=mhee

SEASON 5 WILL AIR IN SUMMER 2013!

Freeman is too good for the likes of Eli, Kleiner and Barney. But, according to Valve, the Barney from HL2 is the one that's pounding on the security door in Inbound. Freeman says, "Looks like I'm not the only one that's late. SUCKER!" which isn't indicative of Freeman not knowing Barney but of Freeman's narcissism and egotism. :)

Same could be said of Eli and Kleiner. They could still be his friends but he treats them like shit, so.... ;)

I think it was mostly meant because Freemans kinda've an asshole, but it CAN be seen as teasing amongst friends. Though given Freeman's attitude he probably doesn't give two shits about Eli, Kleiner or Barney. Of course this is all subject to change by the powers of Ross Scott if he so chose. Though one thing that caught my interest was during Decay, the guy in the wheelchair (his name escapes me) says something along the lines of, "Dr. Freeman is running late...again. I don't know what Kleiner sees in that boy." Which, in the mindset of Freeman's Mind I've always taken it as Freeman is a giant asshole but Kleiner sees *something* special in him. Though really when the game came out it obviously wasn't meant that way.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Kaweebo/

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones."

VALVE: "Sometimes bugs take more than eighteen years to fix."

Yeah that's the way I'm seeing it right now. But still, even if he is a giant asshole, I can't help but feel Ross could've got some interesting jokes out of it. Perhaps something along the lines of:

'I wonder how Barney's coping with all these soldiers. Knowing that guy, he's probably joined them by now just to get at me. Well guess what Barney?! I won that last chocolate bar fair and square! You want it, you're gonna have to yank it out of my cold, dead hands! Bring it on!'

He does talk about Barney in some episodes, sometimes he has these flashbacks remember? And he mentions everyone else in the lab is some kind of nerd or bore (I guess it means Kleiner and Eli too) so...

Barney though he will probably mention more.

"When a son is born, the father will go up to the newborn baby, sword in hand; throwing it down, he says, "I shall not leave you with any property: You have only what you can provide with this weapon."

Which would shine a new light on what Barney says in Half-Life 2. "Oh man! That is what I was afraid of! Get in here Gordon! Before you blow my cover!" and later, "Good job Gordon, throwing that switch and all, I can see your MIT education really pays for itself." ;)

He does talk about Barney in some episodes, sometimes he has these flashbacks remember? And he mentions everyone else in the lab is some kind of nerd or bore (I guess it means Kleiner and Eli too) so...

Flashbacks? Which episodes were these?

Flashbacks? Which episodes were these?

I mean flashback talks like, "One time...."

I believe he did mention him and owning beer and in the training episode he talks about him and barney scaring people i think if I remember correctly. I might have gotten FM mixed up with another mind too. And I can't remember all these FM episodes word for word, I should rewatch them actually...

"When a son is born, the father will go up to the newborn baby, sword in hand; throwing it down, he says, "I shall not leave you with any property: You have only what you can provide with this weapon."

Actually, in Episode 0 he talks about how he could use the hologram technology for himself by making a hologram of a homeless person running up to try to kill somebody, and freak everybody out in the process. Nothing about Barney. :lol:

Barney's Mind is finished, that would be impossible, unless Freeman got outside and saw Barney Flying his plane overhead

Indeed. But I hope Ross will integrate KrimsinYT's replica when Freeman is about to teleport and Shepard says something like "come back here you big orange fuck !".

Maybe Freeman will turn around and see a hgrunt staring at him. That would be feasable using Valve Hammer editor.

It wouldn't really make sense for him to turn around, or to even have Shephard's voice in there at all since he probably didn't even hear him considering he just ran and jumped in there with no hesitation. If anything, he should add it faintly almost immediately when he goes in, and then when he gets to Xen, he comments on it briefly, or something to that effect.

Indeed. But I hope Ross will integrate KrimsinYT's replica when Freeman is about to teleport and Shepard says something like "come back here you big orange fuck !".

Maybe Freeman will turn around and see a hgrunt staring at him. That would be feasable using Valve Hammer editor.

They brought this up in the latest Meeting of the Minds podcast where they invited Ross. He said he'd look up the episode, so there's a chance he might include some kind of reference.

It wouldn't really make sense for him to turn around, or to even have Shephard's voice in there at all since he probably didn't even hear him considering he just ran and jumped in there with no hesitation. If anything, he should add it faintly almost immediately when he goes in, and then when he gets to Xen, he comments on it briefly, or something to that effect.

I think he might have other stuff to comment on when arriving on Xen.

Eli, Kleiner and Barney are all aware of Gordon's asshole nature, but they let it slide because he's still their friend, and they need him.

He's the guy that they can't live with but can't live without.

"Am I a hero? Eh, I don't know... I don't think it's heroic if the only person you're saving is yourself."

- Gordon Freeman

So here's something I've been wondering. Why is it Freeman never acknowledges the existence of Barney, Eli or Kleiner? I was under the impression that they're supposed to be quite close. FM 1 came out late in 2007, so Ross should definitely have played all of the HL2 contents by then.

Kid. Really. Stop OVERTHINKING this. Because you have to look at it this way. Most of the ppl in HL1 look THE SAME. THE SAME.

Did he overlook this or is it deliberate? And if so, how will he explain the reactions from Barney and co in HL2 (assuming FM reaches HL2).

You know how he will explain it? Just like VALVE did with doctor Magnuson, in Episode 2. I mean... everybody but YOU, knew who the guy was. And the character himself, just reminded you of how you F**** up his dinner with the microwave. It was a nice flashback, but that was all.

I will not stop until all of my foes go down in flames.

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/4950/flamingsigld7.jpg

So here's something I've been wondering. Why is it Freeman never acknowledges the existence of Barney, Eli or Kleiner? I was under the impression that they're supposed to be quite close. FM 1 came out late in 2007, so Ross should definitely have played all of the HL2 contents by then.

Kid. Really. Stop OVERTHINKING this. Because you have to look at it this way. Most of the ppl in HL1 look THE SAME. THE SAME.

Did he overlook this or is it deliberate? And if so, how will he explain the reactions from Barney and co in HL2 (assuming FM reaches HL2).

You know how he will explain it? Just like VALVE did with doctor Magnuson, in Episode 2. I mean... everybody but YOU, knew who the guy was. And the character himself, just reminded you of how you F**** up his dinner with the microwave. It was a nice flashback, but that was all.

Whoa calm down, I get it. It's not a huge deal and I wouldn't even have bothered bringing it up if it wasn't for the way those characters react to Freeman in HL2. But hey, if Ross decides to just go in and say 'oh yeah, I remember you... kind of' then that's all fine. I also just realised that characters like Alyx made some assumptions when they first met Freeman i.e. Alyx assumed he already met/knew Breen.

It is not likely Ross will ever do a FM of HL2, so it would be pointless to make any allusions to the story in HL2. Once he is done with FM it is likely he will move on to either working on CP full time to better challenge himself or make something big. I really doubt he has any plans to do HL2.

And besides, Ross is playing HL1 like people did when it came out. We had no idea who these guys were and we weren't even aware that one of the security guards were called Barney (until some nerd hacked the files and found the filename for him). And Ross is adding a lot to Gordon's backstory aside from what we already know and sort of creating an alternate Gordon Freeman. In other words, NOT the Gordon Freeman most people would be used to or the Gordon Freeman that is in HL2.

When HL2 came out they more or less forced backstories onto the main characters from HL1 so it would make sense for them to come back, but the truth is that in HL1, everyone looks the same so they could be anyone really.

My point is: Freeman's Mind is not meant to be taken seriously or canon.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com