5 Stages of Waiting for Half Life 3

Sign in to follow this  

5 Stages of Waiting for Half Life 3

1. Optimism

At some point, after completing Episode 2 for the first time, whether it was at release or discovering it later on, there's a short time where the player is certain that the next installment will be announced soon. "Why wouldn't it be?" you say. "Valve has a decent series running, why take a break? They're certainly already working on it as we speak and are preparing to unveil it..."

2. Anger

Usually after a while, the cliffhanger from Episode 2 starts to cause an anxiety, which shifts to anger. The player gets angry that Valve would ignore their best series. At game conventions and shows, they see Half Life 3 go unmentioned, and shout to the heavens in anger, "WHY VALVE WHY??!"

3. Obsession

The player becomes obsessed with the past Half Life games and speculation about the next one. They begin to piece together the lore and make theories as to the nature of the game. Soon they're prowling gaming forums, bitterly mocking others ideas about the series and correcting them vehemently. They're convinced that somehow their obsession will make the game come sooner.

4. Neglect

Over time, the player becomes disillusioned and stoic towards the series. Perhaps another game comes to fill the void temporarily. They forget about the game and it's characters, though it holds a place in their heart. Occasionally they'll say to themselves that they need to play Half Life 2 again some time, but these plans rarely see fruition.

5. Hope

After many years of waiting, the player has lost all semblance of emotion towards Half life. Perhaps upon finally playing the games again, a hopefulness arises organically. A meditative sense of patience replaces the anger and annoyance. The player understands that the next game will come when it comes. It may not be soon, but it will certainly be great when it arrives.

3. Obsession

The player becomes obsessed with the past Half Life games and speculation about the next one. They begin to piece together the lore and make theories as to the nature of the game. Soon they're prowling gaming forums, bitterly mocking others ideas about the series and correcting them vehemently. They're convinced that somehow their obsession will make the game come sooner.

I'm still here.

I am experiencing an ambivalent combination of stage 1, stage 3, and stage 4.

Do you feel blame? Are you mad? Uh, do you feel like wolf kabob Roth vantage? Gefrannis booj pooch boo jujube; bear-ramage. Jigiji geeji geeja geeble Google. Begep flagaggle vaggle veditch-waggle bagga?

I'm in stage 5 and went through all the previous stages, except anger.

That was just supplanted by Hat Simulators.

This is a nice metric server. No imperial dimensions, please.

I seem to have skipped stages 2, 3 and 4 altogether. :think:

I don't like writer's block, I prefer to call it writer's parry.

but it will certainly be great when it arrives.

After so long? IT BETTER BE. :evil:

I was introduced to Valve in 2009, so I did not have the same experience. I finished Half-Life 2 and the episodes with my friend, turned to him, and asked "When did this game come out? Those graphics were damn good!" He tells me 2004-2008, so I ask him where the next game is. He laughs a bit and says it hasn't come out yet. I slip into Stage 3 for about two weeks, then slipped quickly into Stage 5.

Life is just a time trial; it's all about how many happy points you can earn in a set period of time

1. Optimism

At some point, after completing Episode 2 for the first time, whether it was at release or discovering it later on, there's a short time where the player is certain that the next installment will be announced soon. "Why wouldn't it be?" you say. "Valve has a decent series running, why take a break? They're certainly already working on it as we speak and are preparing to unveil it..."

I'm still at this point... :lol:

What is wrong with me?

"Even if something sounds logical, it doesn't mean it have to be true"

I'm at the first stage too. I have too much faith in Valve.

"It's not about changing the world. It's about doing our best to leave the world... the way it is. It's about respecting the will of others, and believing in your own."

Not necessarily neglect, but I just try not to think about Half Life 3. Same thing with Black Mesa. There's no point thinking about it because it's not going to come out. Not in our lifetime at least.

right now i'm in stage 5, simple because, despite i really want it to come out, i understand Valve's more busy making TF2 hats and DotA 2. besides, i have BG2 and WW1

[82nd] Mr. Kochi Bracegirlde: You just blow that fife

[82nd] Mr. Kochi Bracegirlde: the 'if ye know what i mean' aside

Hooper: want to give your men a fast reload? BLOW ME FIRST

I'm at a cross between stages 1 and 5. I've never really experienced the other three stages. :P

Feel free to PM me about almost anything and I'll do my best to answer. :)

"Beware of what you ask for, for it may come to pass..."

I found this to be rather funny:

"Me: VALVe! Make Half Life 3 finally! Count with me! 1

VALVe: 1

Me: 2

VALVe: 2

Me: 3

VALVe: 2 Episode 1

"

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm waiting for Half-life 3 Whilst waiting for people to give me good rep on this forum. :'(

What a shame.