Describe your perfect video game

Sign in to follow this  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadowrun

That, NOT what they did for a crappy game by FASA that uses the same name.

Add that to the total immersion matrix mode gaming system described previously, and it would be a game I would never need to leave, apart from eating and relieving myself. (and those could be done by machine too)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadowrun

That, NOT what they did for a crappy game by FASA that uses the same name.

Add that to the total immersion matrix mode gaming system described previously, and it would be a game I would never need to leave, apart from eating and relieving myself. (and those could be done by machine too)

The one made by beam software for SNES is kinda good after you get over "dat" aiming system

The future of gaming lies in realistic simulations of extraordinary realities

"I am drunk, you dont have an excuse"

Half-Life 2.

Oh, something that hasn't been invented? Oh, ok:

If the fundamental principles of the game are atmosphere, stealth, and mystery--and the developers never compromise these principles, then everything else follows. Here, let me show you what I mean, and the importance of not deviating from these principles. This trailer shows what would've been my favorite game, had Bungie stayed true to what they were planning:

WroxHMo6B_k

I'm a huge Halo fan. So when I saw this, I shat my pants. I imagined the game would be exactly like the trailer: you'd wake up and have no idea what happened. You would check your supplies and realize that you were not well armed at all. You were equipped to assault a battleship, with tight corridors, with a team and an HQ supporting you; you now find yourself in a very terrible situation: you're under prepared and it's pouring rain. You step out of the pod, not knowing what to do. Suddenly, you see an enemy dropship overhead, and you duck into the shadows. Only through the flashes of lightning, can you pick out an enemy squad: they're searching for you and they're not happy. Once they pass, you let out a sigh of relief. Something catches your eye: it's attractive and shiny--you walk over to it and pick it up. It's a clue to what happened. It's a clue to something much bigger than you've ever fathomed, and you have no idea what that is.

If you played Halo 3: ODST, you'll know that the game was nothing like this. It was a generic shoot-'em-up. The trailer to the game was actually bettter than the game itself. Halo 3: ODST marketed itself on mystery, but the buildup is not subtle, and the "big secret" (remember: Bungie was teasing this secret for years) was something really obvious and stupid. After finally getting to play this game and then, upon finishing it, realized how shit it was, I felt raped.

I want a game with atmosphere. I want a game where your character sucks at open assault, but is deadly from the shadows or, better yet, hesitant of the shadows and must use stealth to avoid what comes out of there. I want a game with mystery--I want my sense of curiosity to overcome me and make me have to continue playing. I want rain, and LOTS of it.

TL;DR version: Remember Modern Warfare 2? Remember that incredibly short "Second Sun" level? Yeah, I want an entire game just like that level--except with less open confrontations.

Hate to be so generic, but...

An incredibly claustrophobic first-person horror game (with Valve-like immersion techniques) that takes place inside a giant building complex. Potential settings that would fit well with the idea include an office complex, a military base, or a hospital. So far, it could be Half-Life. However, it should be less combat-focused than Half-Life. Yeah, killing enemies should come up, but enemies should be somewhat rarer, so it feels more special when you encounter one. It should feature a greater variety of enemies, too, so you're less likely to think of it in terms like "oh, ANOTHER headcrab". It should be very nonlinear - and not just in the sense of having a few branches, either. There may be human characters, but they should be rare, and, like Half-Life (1), they should die quickly or at least not recur. There should be a detailed backstory that it takes multiple playthroughs to even scratch the surface of, too.

And there shouldn't be any loading screens.

Perfect game, huh? An RPG with fully developed AI, where nothing is scripted and you communicate with the NPCs via a microphone. Also, the storyline wold be COMPLETELY different everytime you play it, because loads of story-changing actions would take place somewhere else. In other words, you are not the only one who changes the world.

I can only hope...

When fortune is blind, be a guide-dog.

Hmm....

My perfect game needs characters like in Kotor2 but with the graphics like in Tf2, story like in Torment, and Deus Ex, gameplay like in Fable, world like in Gothic 2 and main hero like in Prince Of Persia 2008. Of course on the HL2 or Mass Effect engine.

no wait... I don't know really... It's hard to answer.

"Even if something sounds logical, it doesn't mean it have to be true"

gameplay like in Fable

oh-god-why-would-you-do-that.jpg

better idea?

Are we talking about combat? If so - Dark Messiah, Magicka, Xeno Clash, Mount & Blade, Frozen Synapse, Jagged Alliance 2, PoP.

I can't think of anything Fable did right regarding general gameplay though, care to specifiy?

I'm sure there are hell lot of games with better gameplay/combat stuff but Fable was actually the first idea.

I'm thinking in my game idea, one of the enemies would be crawling disembodied hands, maybe with mouths on them. Dunno why.

Okay, this is my perfect video game:

You can be surprised but this...

tetris-game-boy.gif

I have two ideas. I'll write one up right now and I'll write the other one up in a few days.

This idea is kind of simple. I had it a while ago, before I was really even very into videogames. It'd be fully immersive, like Half-Life - you never see anything from third-person perspective, and control is never removed from you. The game's plot is basic - you work in one city, but you live in another. You've just finished your monthly period of work, so it's time to drive home. The game consists mostly of vehicle segments, but care would be taken to ensure that you feel like you are a human being sitting in a car, not as though you have somehow become the car.

Things would start out very boring, like Desert Bus. You just stay on the road and follow your GPS's instructions. It wouldn't be totally Desert Bus-ish, though - there would be plenty of scenery (which the graphics engine would ensure look amazing), and you can stop and get out of your car to interact with things in the towns you pass through - in fact, you have to on occasion to get gas. The game is entirely in real-time (though obviously it stops when you pause it or save it or such). The day/night cycle is based on 24-hour time, your car moves at realistic speeds, and towns are spread out about as far as they would be in real-life.

So, for the first few hours that you play it, it's pretty boring. Your car features can entertain you - you have an entertainment system that you can set to various radio channels and listen to for entertainment. Great pains would be taken to make sure that the radio can keep itself entertaining in the long-term. You won't be hearing the same programs repeating very much unless you're an obsessive player who plays through the game over and over again for hundreds of hours. Many techniques could be used for this - a huge database of built-in radio programs, splicing in actual radio programs on occasion, regularly downloading large DLCs with loads of new radio programs... maybe there could even be a computer program in the game to synthesize realistic radio programs without even involving a human.

Okay, I know that this sounds like the most boring game ever, but it gets better... As you continue on your course, things get more and more suspect. You start seeing weird things out of the corner of your eye. Crossing animals that don't look like anything identifiable. Cars passing by that don't have any drivers. The subtlety decreases over time. Things slowly get weirder and weirder, scarier and scarier. Your car clock begins acting up and the day/night cycle quits acting right, sticking with night even though by all rights it should be switching to day. The towns you pass through start seeming more and more off... the people in them are sparser, and closer to the uncanny valley.

Your radio starts going weird, too, delivering weirder and weirder radio programs to you. Entire broadcasts in nonexistent languages. Political talk programs on issues that noone has ever had. "Music" that consists entirely of nasty, irritating, unlistenable noises. A station that's just a heartbeat and breathing and slobbering noises. Don't think that they're forming a coherent image of another world - they're not, they all contradict each other.

Things keep getting more and more horrifying until your inevitable death. And believe me, your death is inevitable - if for no other reason than that the distance to your home is constantly increasing, so you can't ever "win". The game would be a rogue-like: the map is randomized, so you won't be encountering the same situations every time you play.

Ross's new video seriously reminded me of this idea.

A mixture of Thief, Unreal, and Morrowind.

I would buy that game 10 times over just to enjoy the fuck out of it.

R.I.P Stephen "Anti-Social Fatman" Bray

"In the meantime, the sun will be rising. You will know all, and I will not feel this dread any longer."