Black Mesa Source

The guard lines are funny:

"Nice shot, you cock-eyed bastard!"

"Yeah, targets move, jackass!"

"Gordon, I think they're shooting blanks."

And the line given when you keep pressing the emergency button in Anomalous Materials.

"Congratulations, you JUST made the top of my shit list."

Or when you keep throwing things at them in the same chapter.

"Man, cease and desist, or some shit."

"Man, you're an asshole when you're drunk."

"Okay, I get it. You hit me, I hit you, then you get a morphine injection. Oh yeah, that's fair."

The last two remind me of Ross Scott's Freeman.

It's funny to see they might have been influenced by it. :D

During the first few levels, I couldn't help but wonder what Ross would've said if he started FM in this mod.

I bet the first ''self defense'' kills would have arrived a tad earlier.

''Almost everything–all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure–these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important.'' - Steve Jobs

It's funny to see they might have been influenced by it. :D

Especially since:

* There's actual lines for the Anomalous Materials chapter.

* The Box Smashing Room actually HAS a purpose. (It has doors where boxes are offloaded, but they're closed)

* There are SOME alterations. (Unforeseen Consequences with the Houndeyes)

* The layout is now realistic. It's not "gaming" type. Even in Residue Processing.

It would probably be like: 60 to 75 percent the same. There's still plenty that remains the same to the original Half-Life. (Encounters that I remember are still in same places.)

Yeah, I once thought it would be possible (if you're patient enough) to go through Black Mesa and superimpose the lines in FM on top of the footage. But even if all the enemies spawned at the right moments and you get the timing exactly right etc, a lot of the jokes simply wouldn't make sense any more. Hell, some of the smaller areas are actually missing (Can't actually think of any off the top of my head, but a few of the levels definitely felt 'shorter' than I remembered).

COURIER'S MIND: RISE OF NEW VEGAS

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2181

http://www.youtube.com/user/101Phase?feature=mhee

SEASON 5 WILL AIR IN SUMMER 2013!

Just finished my first play-through of this. It was pretty awesome and appropriately challenging. Occasionally the voice acting seemed a little iffy, and some of the Lambda Core jumps were a bit frustrating, and the mod is not without a few bugs, but that was about it. Overall a very satisfying experience and one I recommend!

Feel free to PM me about almost anything and I'll do my best to answer. :)

"Beware of what you ask for, for it may come to pass..."

Yeah, I once thought it would be possible (if you're patient enough) to go through Black Mesa and superimpose the lines in FM on top of the footage. But even if all the enemies spawned at the right moments and you get the timing exactly right etc, a lot of the jokes simply wouldn't make sense any more. Hell, some of the smaller areas are actually missing (Can't actually think of any off the top of my head, but a few of the levels definitely felt 'shorter' than I remembered).

"We've Got Hostiles" was shorter than I remember.

The achievements are nice additions, but sometimes not clear about what you're supposed to do. For example, why is there an achievement for killing enemies with reprogrammed sentries? How do you reprogram sentries? All they do is shoot you until you kill them, and they don't start working again if you set them back up. There's no computers or switches nearby either. Is that just something they had an idea for, but later scrapped (while leaving the code for the achievement in) or am I missing something?

I figured out that you need to pick them up and walk with them and they'll shoot enemies in front of you. They have a screen on the back and green is hostile blue is reprogrammed (to shoot everything, including you) and red is completely non-functional.

I have the perfect comeback. A Spaz-12.

For the Rare Specimen achievement...

...with the Hat, I found to be misfortune that there are at least two hats. The one that does NOT earn you the achievement can be found from going through one of the portals in the Portal reactor room (the one with three portals on each level). The hat that DID grant the achievement for me was in one of the huge yellow cargo containers in the room with the six assassins.

Feel free to PM me about almost anything and I'll do my best to answer. :)

"Beware of what you ask for, for it may come to pass..."

I wish they made it more apparent that the soldiers were getting curb-stomped. The retreat sorta catches you by surprise.

I hope fixing things like this in a later patch isn't out of the question.

"Am I a hero? Eh, I don't know... I don't think it's heroic if the only person you're saving is yourself."

- Gordon Freeman

I wish they made it more apparent that the soldiers were getting curb-stomped. The retreat sorta catches you by surprise.

If anything, it looked like the soldiers were winning. It seems like most of the times I saw fighting between soldiers and aliens, the soldiers would win, but with a lot of casualties. If you think about it, it kind of makes sense. Considering that the HECU is supposed to be a well trained elite unit, they should be able to handle themselves quite well (especially since they were apparently specifically trained for it), though the amount of reinforcements they'd have available would be quite limited - not so for the Xenians. Even if the HECU won every battle, the aliens would eventually overwhelm them just through attrition. Now, if they were to, say, call in reinforcements from the regular marines, or the army, they'd probably be able to hold their ground if nothing else, but considering the secrecy of the operation that most likely wasn't an option. I'm going to go with the assumption that the HECU was generally holding its own, but between Freeman killing so many of them just by himself and the mounting casualties, plus the fact that they couldn't have any idea of how many aliens there were going to be (I imagine things look pretty bleak when more and more keep teleporting in, while their own numbers are dwindling), they figured they'd retreat and just nuke the place (at that point the facility itself was pretty much screwed anyway) rather than continue a seemingly hopeless struggle.

"I aim for the stars, but sometimes I hit London." - Wernher von Braun

Maybe it was the case in the original half life, but I was a little disappointed by how few times you encounter the Black Ops in this mod. I was about to say that they should've had a few scripted scenes to show Black Ops killing the marines as a nice little tie-in with Opposing Force, but I'd be happy if they just let me see the Black Ops at all for a few more times.

COURIER'S MIND: RISE OF NEW VEGAS

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2181

http://www.youtube.com/user/101Phase?feature=mhee

SEASON 5 WILL AIR IN SUMMER 2013!

Just got an adapter today so I can use my PS1 controller with my PC. Been testing it out with Black Mesa and I must say, it makes the abundant crouch-jumping much easier. L2+X+Left Stick is much easier for me than Ctrl+Space+W. I'll have to play around with the sensitivity some more to get the aiming better, though.

Crouch jumping is one of the few things I dislike about Half-Life and Black Mesa strongly. It feels awkward, overused and just outright unnecessary.

But the overall game is too good to really feel like it ruins anything.

Crouch-jumping feels much more natural on a game controller to me. In fact, the platforming in general seems to be a lot better with a controller IMO.

But you're right, even when I was doing the crouch jumping on the awkward keyboard, the game was still too damn cool for it to really ruin anything.