What do you like to read?

I’m aware that reading actual books isn’t very fashionable these day, and you kids probably have your hands full with your Ataris, Nintendogs and Call of Halo, but I’m a bit of a bookworm and I’m always open for advice on what to read next.

I would say Fantasy, Science Fiction, Mystery and Horror are my favorite genres. Here’s a list of writers and books I’ve liked, currently sitting on my bookcase.

- J.R.R.Tolkien: LOTR, The Hobbit, The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales etc. The man was awesome.

- H.P. Lovecraft: At the Mountains of Madness, The Call of Cthulhu, the Randolph Carter stories, Herbert West: Reanimator, etc. He was also awesome.

- C.S. Lewis: The Chronicles of Narnia

- Robert E. Howard: Conan The barbarian books and short tales.

- Clark Ashton Smith: Hyperborea and Zothique short tales.

- Stephen King: IT, Carrie, The Stand, The Dead Zone, Cell... the man is a writing machine.

- Arthur Conan Doyle: Sherlock Holmes books and short tales. I also like Professor Challenger, but I’ve only read “The Lost World”.

- Robert A. Heinlein: Starship Troopers, The Puppet Masters. I’m curious about the Lazarus Long novels, I’ve never read any of those.

- Larry Niven: the Ringworld saga.

- Hermann Hesse: Demian, Steppenwolf. Crazy stuff.

- Issac Asimov: some of the Foundation books, the I, Robot stories,

- Frank Herbert: Dune saga. The first and fourth books are incredible.

- Jules Verne: A Journey to the Center of the Earth, From the Earth to the Moon, The Mysterious Island, Michael Strogoff, Master of the World.

- J. K. Rowling: yes, I’m a Harry Potter fan.

- Stephenie Meyer: yes, I’m also a Twilight Saga and The Host fan. Deal with it.

- Charlaine Harris: mostly Southern Vampire Mysteries, and a few other books.

- Max Brooks: The Zombie Survival Guide and World War Z

- J. L. Bourne: Day by Day Armageddon

My “To read” pile is getting a bit tall (I’m somewhat of a compulsive buyer when it comes to books), with the “Hunger Games” trilogy by Suzanne Collins, “Full dark, no stars” and “Under the dome” by S. King, and “Torment” (second book in the Fallen Saga) by Lauren Kate.

EDIT: I forgot to include Douglas Adams and his Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series. I deeply apologize for this.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

I bring you mortal danger and cookies. Not necessarily in that order.

http://www.youtube.com/jclc

Some of my favourite books are American Psycho, The Trial, The Dice Man, 1984. It's been a while since I read a book though. I haven't found one that I enjoy that much yet.

Big fan of Nineteen Eighty-Four and Animal Farm by George Orwell.

Other than that, I'm reading the Bourne series by Robert Ludlum right now.

You've read Mysterious Island?!

It's one of my favorite books!

I just got it at a bookstore, recently, too!

I'd read it before but never owned it...

As for others I like, The Hitchhiker's Guide series, other Verne classics, of course, and some of Orwell's stuff...

I'm not much into fantasy, though...

Mostly just sci-fi...

I HAVE to blow everything up! It's the only way to prove I'm not CRAZY!

I'd recommend adding a couple of Brandon Sanderson novels into the mix. Maybe his Mistborn trilogy? He has a way with fantasy.

Edgar Allen Poe and Ernest Hemingway are among my favorite classic authors; Ursula K. Leguin is great too, as I'm currently reading her latest book of her 'Earthsea' series 'The Other Wind'; I'll need to read all her other books once I'm done with that.

And Stephen King is crazy good; love The Shining, Duma Key, Dreamcatcher, and Under the Dome (Under the Dome just freaking sucked me in and drove me crazy with all the characters perspectives.) Oh yeah, can't forget the Dark Tower series.

My favorite authors are Roderick Gordon and Brian Williams and my favorite series is the Tunnels series (Tunnels, Deeper, Freefall, Closer ,Spiral

Right now though I am reading the Alex Rider series.

C.S. Lewis has written a lot more than just the Chronicles of Narnia. His views on Christianity are very interesting, for instance.

Other than that, I'd say William Gibson and Stephen King are my favourite authors.

You probably know but, the whole Narnia series is the story of the bible.

Everything by J. R. R. Tolkien and Orson Scott Card <3 Friggan loved Ender's Game.

C.S. Lewis has written a lot more than just the Chronicles of Narnia. His views on Christianity are very interesting, for instance.

Other than that, I'd say William Gibson and Stephen King are my favourite authors.

You probably know but, the whole Narnia series is the story of the bible.

Not really, but it draws a lot of inspiration from it.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

I really enjoy reading Terry Pratchett. Not the most awesome books ever written but very enjoyable to read.

I'd advise reading Guards Guards Guards first if you want to look into it.

You've read Mysterious Island?!

It's one of my favorite books!

It's awesome. I particularly enjoyed the detailed description of the different manufacturing processes and projects the castaways undertook.

As for others I like, The Hitchhiker's Guide series...

Aslan!... I mean, Jesus! How could I have forgotten about that! Douglas Adams is the man. Luckily, I know were my towel is .

I really enjoy reading Terry Pratchett. Not the most awesome books ever written but very enjoyable to read.

I'd advise reading Guards Guards Guards first if you want to look into it.

I looked it up.That's the guy from Discworld! I had a friend in college who was a big fan and kept telling me to read it, but I never got around to it. I'll see what I can do.

My favorite authors are Roderick Gordon and Brian Williams and my favorite series is the Tunnels series (Tunnels, Deeper, Freefall, Closer ,Spiral

Right now though I am reading the Alex Rider series.

I'm in the process of finishing Deeper (I'm almost done, at the Pore). Got a bit sidetracked with "Fallen" and "Torment", by Lauren Kate.

I also like to read comic books and video game magazines. I'm a monthly buyer of RetroGamer and the Norwegian comic "Nemi".

Me too, although not as much as when I was a teenager. I have about four years of Superman, starting at the fight with Doomsday (total badass). Several Hellblazer, Nathan Never and Dylan Dog compilations (those last two are italian comics), Watchmen and a very rare Transformers series from the mid-eighties.

- J.R.R.Tolkien: LOTR, The Hobbit, The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales etc. The man was awesome.

- C.S. Lewis: The Chronicles of Narnia

- Arthur Conan Doyle: Sherlock Holmes books and short tales. I also like Professor Challenger, but I’ve only read “The Lost World”.

- Robert A. Heinlein: Starship Troopers, The Puppet Masters. I’m curious about the Lazarus Long novels, I’ve never read any of those.

- Issac Asimov: some of the Foundation books, the I, Robot stories,

- Frank Herbert: Dune saga. The first and fourth books are incredible.

- Jules Verne: A Journey to the Center of the Earth, From the Earth to the Moon, The Mysterious Island, Michael Strogoff, Master of the World.

Those are some of my favorites as well. The Lazarus Long, and subsequent novels are very good. Try The Moon is a Harsh Mistress... One of Heinlein's best IMO.

Try some of the Ben Bova books, and maybe Marion Zimmer Bradley. I'm also a fan of the Dragonriders of Pern series by Anne McCaffrey.

Tom Clancy, and Clive Cussler are on my list too.

Have to list the Hitchhiker's Guide... Can't ever go anywhere without it... lol

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

I also like to read stuff written on the walls of public bathrooms.

Ah, Bathroom poetry... ehm... I was going to make a poop joke, but I'm still unsure about the you being a vampire situation and wouldn't want to anger you.

There's this book on the Tower of Pisa that's shaped like a rhombus. I checked it out of the town library on an impulse and it's kind of interesting.

You should post a picture of that, if possible.

I also like to read stuff written on the walls of public bathrooms.

Ah, Bathroom poetry... ehm... I was going to make a poop joke, but I'm still unsure about the you being a vampire situation and wouldn't want to anger you. .

What in the world does...? Nevermind...

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com