Call of Duty

First off all some rules:

1. No trolling/hating/flaming. There is a difference between: i dislike these games because...... and go die, you cod fanboy

2. Keep it somewhat on topic(for example, no discussions about whether portal 2 is any good)

Hey, I'd like to get out of the way that i am not a COD "Fanboy". I play and enjoy other games as well.

It is quite obvious that Call of Duty is a HUGE franchise in gaming. But do you think it deserves all this attention(why do you think COD receives this much attention?), have you ever played any of the COD games and which ones do you think where good/bad and why?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The one I've played the most was Call of Duty: World at War, with friends, on the zombie gamemode. It was good crazy fun. I also think I played the original Call of Duty a while back but never completed it. That's about it.

Feel free to PM me about almost anything and I'll do my best to answer. :)

"Beware of what you ask for, for it may come to pass..."

I feel that the franchise peaked at Call of Duty 4. Yeah, I know, I'll sound like a purist and a rose-tinted glasses-wearing snob, but I've been playing since Call of Duty 1 and I honestly think Call of Duty 4 was the best game in the series. Good story, good gameplay, new, addicting multiplayer. I liked the story because it seemed mildly plausible, and it was just cool.

Then World at War came out, and I don't really acknowledge the Treyarch games. Not even zombies; I'd much rather play Halo's Firefight (and yes, I am a rabid Halo fanboy but I've played my share of Call of Duty as well). Whatever.

Modern Warfare 2. ehggggggg

It was buggy. It was unbalanced. There were perks and combinations in there that were flat-out idiotic. The only things that got patched were the outright exploits. That game had solid gameplay like Call of Duty 4, but it was just buried under dumb, terrible things (commando, one man army, Danger Close, etc.). The story was implausible and just dumb and I honestly think Hans Zimmer is overrated, so the music didn't really do anything for me either. Still, it had base addicting gameplay, so while I couldn't stop playing, I was raging the whole time.

I've played Black Ops. I own it. Wager Matches are kind of fun, but the gameplay is just stale now. If they hadn't stuck to this two-developer game-per-year idea, maybe the games would've turned out better. I couldn't even finish the story; I just got bored.

Short story: I love Call of Duty at its high points and hate it more than anything else at its low points.

Edit: As for the attention it gets, it's just the "in game" as of now. It's dominating the market; it's finally wrested that title from Halo (as far as console games are concerned, obviously). While Call of Duty's decently fun, it's just not something I can see lasting as long as Halo. I have a feeling people are gonna get burned out much quicker than they were on Halo, because I feel Halo kept it simpler and better.

I've played CoD 4 with my brother and his friend on PS3. Great action fun, nothing bad about it. But in general games based on reality or real wars aren't really my taste so I never really got into the CoD games.

It seems to be no ones taste right now. Lately everybody seems to want to play some kind of space, fantasy or medieval game. I would love to play some WW2 again

The one I've played the most was Call of Duty: World at War, with friends, on the zombie gamemode. It was good crazy fun. I also think I played the original Call of Duty a while back but never completed it. That's about it.

Nazi Zombies is indeed ridiculously fun.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It seems to be no ones taste right now. Lately everybody seems to want to play some kind of space, fantasy or medieval game. I would love to play some WW2 again

WWII games, maybe, but Call of Duty is the biggest game on the Xbox right now; people love their pseudo-realistic games.

I honestly think Hans Zimmer is overrated

Are you kidding? He did the music for the Pirates of the Carribean films and the new Batman films! He's a great composer in my opinion.

I feel that the franchise peaked at Call of Duty 4. Yeah, I know, I'll sound like a purist and a rose-tinted glasses-wearing snob, but I've been playing since Call of Duty 1 and I honestly think Call of Duty 4 was the best game in the series. Good story, good gameplay, new, addicting multiplayer. I liked the story because it seemed mildly plausible, and it was just cool.

Totally agree with you there.

Then World at War came out, and I don't really acknowledge the Treyarch games. Not even zombies; I'd much rather play Halo's Firefight (and yes, I am a rabid Halo fanboy but I've played my share of Call of Duty as well). Whatever.

I didn't play much W@W either, that doesn't mean it is a bad game. But it just wasn't that big and new.

Modern Warfare 2. ehggggggg

It was buggy. It was unbalanced. There were perks and combinations in there that were flat-out idiotic. The only things that got patched were the outright exploits. That game had solid gameplay like Call of Duty 4, but it was just buried under dumb, terrible things (commando, one man army, Danger Close, etc.). The story was implausible and just dumb and I honestly think Hans Zimmer is overrated, so the music didn't really do anything for me either. Still, it had base addicting gameplay, so while I couldn't stop playing, I was raging the whole time.

I agree that the multiplayer was a joke(what bugged me the most about it is that IW didn't support it whatsoever after the release). The single player was very short and again unlike COD4, not as impressive. The story was okey-ish and the graphics where good. But i think the best thing in my opinion was the gameplay, i really have nothing to complain about it.

I've played Black Ops. I own it. Wager Matches are kind of fun, but the gameplay is just stale now. If they hadn't stuck to this two-developer game-per-year idea, maybe the games would've turned out better. I couldn't even finish the story; I just got bored.

Again totally agree.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Are you kidding? He did the music for the Pirates of the Carribean films and the new Batman films! He's a great composer in my opinion.

He's overrated, but he's not bad. I like select pieces of his ("Why So Serious?" and the beginning of "Davy Jones") but he's extremely repetitive. I heard a piece in Modern Warfare 2 that sounded very much like a Pirates of the Caribbean piece, and in the Dark Knight's soundtrack, nearly every track is just a mashup of another. I can't quote song names, but I have four songs from the Dark Knight, and they all have something in common with one another.

I have four songs from the Dark Knight, and they all have something in common with one another.

I believe that's what's known as a 'recurring theme' and is fairly normal for things like films etc. Like a recurring theme for a certain character (like Jack Sparrow), or for a certain setting.

I doubt many people play Call of Duty because of the music though.

A fair point, most people probably play it for the multiplayer.

Regarding WWII games, the newest Wolfenstein was kinda fun.

I think most people underrated it. Although I enjoyed it, and it did make for one hilarious Zero Puncutation episode.

Regarding COD, behold my opinion.

COD - Fun game, considering it was one of the first FPS games I played.

COD 2 - Never played it.

COD 3 - Never played it.

COD 4 - The height of Call of Duty. Well balanced with almost no problems.

COD WAW - Fun game, multiplayer was underrated. Zombies were awesome.

COD MW2 - Despite criticism, the game still has personality, and remains fun to me. (Not that I play it much, but still.)

COD BlOps - This game has no "personality" in my honest opinion. Why? Taking out Juggernaut screwed Stopping Power, and when it was removed, all the guns had to do more base damage. Needless to say, this officially destroyed the MP to me. People claim it's "Balanced", whereas I see it as the same as playing COD 4 Hardcore with full HUD. But less fun.

That may not make a whole lot of sense, but that's how screwed up I think the game is. So much so I cannot formulate an intelligent opinion about it.

BLOPs was my first COD game, and I was hooked for like the first couple of days, but then the age old console port issues arose, and I became pissed at Activision and Treyarch for not supporting a product that we pay a very decent sum of money for. I like the idea of the game, but the support was terrible.

I also think that the series is done. Ever since COD 4, it seems (from Youtube) that they are just adding minuscule details onto the next sequel in the series. Other then the campaigns, the only difference between MW2 and BLOPs is model changes and new killstreaks. I can't really respect a series that releases the same product year after year thats main selling point is the same thing as last year. COD is not a bad game, but it is an old concept that they keep selling with a tag that reads "NEW" for $60 every year. Unless COD becomes a completely new game that is substantially new from the last, I doubt I will buy another of that title again.

I think it's good fun, I loved CoD 4 but the multiplayer on these games are pretty aim assist bro down and not very skill based.

I don't mind that as long as your having fun but all these commentary videos on machinima I just don't understand.

I've played all the call of duty's, from the first one to black ops. I prefer the older ones ten times better than the current new ones. I really hate what Activision has done to the franchise as well, and what Activision has turned into. The series is now just one big cash cow, and I the reason I believe its getting so much attention is because it suits today's causal gaming market so well. Its fast past, easy to understand and simple. In all I just want it to die, and I don't think it deserves the attention its getting the new cods haven't created anything new and amazing, sep for how many copy's they can sell in the first week.

BLOPs was my first COD game, and I was hooked for like the first couple of days, but then the age old console port issues arose, and I became pissed at Activision and Treyarch for not supporting a product that we pay a very decent sum of money for. I like the idea of the game, but the support was terrible.

I also think that the series is done. Ever since COD 4, it seems (from Youtube) that they are just adding minuscule details onto the next sequel in the series. Other then the campaigns, the only difference between MW2 and BLOPs is model changes and new killstreaks. I can't really respect a series that releases the same product year after year thats main selling point is the same thing as last year. COD is not a bad game, but it is an old concept that they keep selling with a tag that reads "NEW" for $60 every year. Unless COD becomes a completely new game that is substantially new from the last, I doubt I will buy another of that title again.

Dude compared to something like MW2 Blops is supported incredibly well.

I've played all the call of duty's, from the first one to black ops. I prefer the older ones ten times better than the current new ones. I really hate what Activision has done to the franchise as well, and what Activision has turned into. The series is now just one big cash cow, and I the reason I believe its getting so much attention is because it suits today's causal gaming market so well. Its fast past, easy to understand and simple. In all I just want it to die, and I don't think it deserves the attention its getting the new cods haven't created anything new and amazing, sep for how many copy's they can sell in the first week.

I blame Activision for that. They make them pop out a game every 2years. Which is obviously not enough time to make a good, new, amazing game.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I just saw a redicolous black ops video. This video shows how incredibly bad the spawns really are. Now i do like to point out that it has been proven that this is actually set up, BUT nonetheless it still shows the awful, awful spawn system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhQ4qn_nINA

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I also felt that Black Ops campaign was shoving the American Flag up my ass the hole time.

Iv played all of the CoD games, and imo COD2 is the best, it required a lot more skill and less perks and killstreaks. MW2 is a noobtoober and campers wet dream, its intensly fun to play but at the same time extremely anoying! I havent played much black Ops online but have played a fair bit of the zombies ( lvl30 solo on Kino and lvl 30 2player on ascension XD 9 p.s anyone got any good ascension strategies? )) and it kicks ass!!! far too addictive. Counter Strike Source is still my favourite fps though