Top 10 video game soundtracks

10: Doom

Doom has some of the most iconic game music ever. Who can forget the epic E1M1 tune? Talk about getting you pumped up.

9: Super Mario Bros.

This game's music is so awesome that even people who have never played a video game in their entire life can recognize the Overworld song. Dada da dada dah!

8: Tetris

More specifically the GameBoy version we all grew up with. Once you start playing with that awesome russian folk tune playing in the background, you're in the zone.

7: Duke Nukem 3D

A game with a theme song so awesome, Megadeth made a version of it.

6: Star Fox

While the rest of the music in this game is pure epicness, the reason it's on my list is solely because of the Corneria tune. Man did that get me hyped!

5: MDK

I actually bought the soundtrack CD of this game, that's the only time I have ever bought a game soundtrack. And that says a lot. The tunes vary from whimsical and funny to absolutely epic as f***. Good job, Tallarico!

4: Fallout 3

Not really the game music itself, though I like the ambience of it. The reason it's on the list is the awesome 30's and 40's music you can hear on Galaxy News Radio. It really takes you back in time.

3: Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Every tune in this game is memorable and some of them downright beautiful.

2: Super Metroid

I had to put one of the Metroid games on here, and I might as well put the best one up. A lot of memorable and atmospheric tracks that will haunt your mind forever.

1: Megaman II

From start to finish, Megaman II contains the best music in the entire franchise, hands down. This is a game where I just love the music of every single level. I always turn UP the volume when I play it.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

^ Nice list

10. Final Fantasy VII

The whole game was about the music (and the story, of course), I'll never forget the first time I entered a huge makou reactor

9. Final Fantasy IX

Back to knights, kingdoms and fantasy...

8. Metal Gear Solid 1

Man, good times, this soundtrack helped me to go through my youth

7. Operation Flashpoint

I'll just never forget the first time I jumped out the helicopter and the main theme played on the background

6. Armed Assault

Same as OFP, but the OFP main theme remix was more goosebumping than in OFP

5. Starship Troopers (2005 VG)

Only because you are a Marauder and the Klendathu Drop in the background starts playing, than you know you are at war

(I still laughing tears when I think that a friend of mine ones said: God, there are a lot of bugs in this game)

4. Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter

Just top-notch soundtrack, even hearable in co-op

3. Alone in the Dark (2008)

Was just dark, epic and you know the sh*t is on when An End for a Prelude played in the background

2. Half-Life 2 (and all episodes)

'nuff said

1. Team Fortress 2

It's not made for the soundtrack, but the 10 different menu themes are just awesome

I don't really have a top 10, but I have several that are pretty badass.

1. Legend of Dragoon (Excellent ps1 game, favorite game ever)

2. Castlevania Symphony of the Night (again, excellent ps1 game)

3. Mass Effect 1 & 2, epic music with great story (didn't like ME1 gameplay though)

4. Dragon Age Origins (purely EPIC music, fit perfectly with the universe)

5. Dear Esther Soundtrack (Dark and ominous, great for the game. Can't wait for summer release for the remake )

Those are the best ones I can name off the top of my head.

Not a big surprise my list is made of old school games and games made by old school game-makers,nowadays, game graphics are really overrated.

10 Super Mario: Sometimes i find it quite annoying,its good but not THAT good,but one thing is for sure,it is REALLY addicting

9 Harvest Moon BTN: This one is more personal since i used to play it a lot when i was 6-year old,but it isnt bad,its quite good actually,unfortunaly is really limitated.

8 Street Fighter:ROUND ONE...FIGHT!!!!

7 Guitar-Hero:I really need to explain this one?

6 Mortal Kombat: Instant classics are classics

5 Metal Slug: A really hardcore soundtrack,matches the game since you die a lot and you are attacked by a abusing number of enemies that guarantees a non-stop action

4 Megaman X6:There is something special about this one i-i cant explain it,i just freaking love it.

3 Donkey Kong SNes games: Few games soundtracks achieve almost perfect match-up with the game levels,Mission accomplished for those fellas,a great and sometimes life-saving soundtrack that makes you go on.

2 Chrono Trigger: A really good soundtrack that usually matches the game and with a sort of 8-bit quality that fills you with nostalgia.

1 Kingdom Hearts:Yoko Shimmomura masterpiece performed by New Japan Philharmonic and lately by Tokyo Philharmonic...it owns, what else could i say?

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

The future of gaming lies in realistic simulations of extraordinary realities

"I am drunk, you dont have an excuse"

I don't really have a top 10 list right now, I'd have to think a bit on that one, but I can say that Super Meat Boy has some excellent music.

I also at the request of a friend played some of the original Sonic games (Sonic 1 and 2) for that old Sega console whatever it was, on an emulator on my PC. The music for Sonic 2 in particular I enjoyed.

Feel free to PM me about almost anything and I'll do my best to answer. :)

"Beware of what you ask for, for it may come to pass..."

I don't really have a top 10 list right now, I'd have to think a bit on that one, but I can say that Super Meat Boy has some excellent music.

I also at the request of a friend played some of the original Sonic games (Sonic 1 and 2) for that old Sega console whatever it was, on an emulator on my PC. The music for Sonic 2 in particular I enjoyed.

Rumor has it Michael Jackson himself composed a few songs for Sonic 2, though I'm more keen on the fact they just drew inspiration from him.

I don't really have a top ten. But I would like to say World In conflict has some pretty awesome music.

Don't really have a top ten, but I really like the legend of zelda soundtracks (the ones that are orchestrated). Out of the zeldas, my favorite must be the wind waker, one of the greatest soundtracks ever composed. Other soundtracks I like are Okami, Mario Galaxy, and an honorable mention for portal (you know why).

Hard to remember 10 games right now...

God of War I & II

Makes everything feel even more epic than it already is. Not sure about GoWIII, haven't played it.~

Trine

Very calming songs that go perfectly with the fantasy visuals. Also, the Trine 2 trailer song gives me the chills, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna love it even more.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

OK, I'm cheating, as no one knows the soundtrack yet, but I had to have it in my list. We only have the theme song for now, but I love it so much, much better than the Oblivion one. Also has that epic feeling, and gives me the chills every time I watch the trailer.

Portal

Mostly for the Still Alive song. But the theme, which has the same melody, is very catchy too. Also loving the new Portal 2 theme, the one that plays in the trailers and gameplay videos.

Guitar Hero III

Because its what made me start listening to famous bands that I didn't follow, like Iron Maiden. Also, Guitar Hero World Tour was what made me like System of a Down, and I have to thank that game for it.

Thats about what I can remember.

Dream Fall has a nice music. And Assasins Creed series.

"Even if something sounds logical, it doesn't mean it have to be true"

Dreamfall was a horrible sequel in my opinion, but yes, it had excellent music. The songs by Magnet are really beautiful.

Oh yeah, but this song wasn't on the Ost's album Dx It brings some good memmories.

Dreamfall was a horrible sequel in my opinion, but yes, it had excellent music. The songs by Magnet are really beautiful.

Oh yeah, but this song wasn't on the Ost's album Dx It brings some good memmories.

It was released as its own EP. If you want I can rip it for you.

Top ten gaming soundtracks... Well, there's a Sophie's Choice choice. Ok, not that bad, but still pretty bad!!

10: Assassin's Creed 2 - Jesper Kyd does phenomenal work with sound in this one. You can exactly tell what he meant to say with each song.

09: Baldur's Gate Series - Michael Hoenig and Inon Zur. These guys on top of a Bioware game, what more needs to be said

You know what? Screw the numbers, they are all number one for me. you can't make me choose!!!!!

Curse of Monkey Island - Pirates, adventure, music from Michael Land, awesomeness

Dragon Age: Origins - Again Bioware and again Inon Zur. Can't be a coincidence anymore.

Gothic 3 - Kai Rosenkranz on top, awesome music.

Red Alert Series - Frank Klepacki delivers music that will always get you going. Who wouldn't get pumped by Hell March?

Settlers 7 - Not done by any particular sinlge person and even with this manages to be great.

Uncharted 2 - Among Thieves - Greg Edmondsons experience at its best.

ZanZarah - The Hidden Portal - Not a very know game, but great soundtrack.

Final Fantasy Series - This would probably be my number 1. All the music, the concerts, piano versions, VGL, Fantasies conters. It is all so good, makes one feel so small.

Just a list for the rest - not that it means they are any less great, I'm just lazy to type:

Battlefield 2142

Braid

Civilization IV and V

Dawn of War 2

Echoes of War - I know, not really a game, but this is Blizzard for christ sake. Played by Eminence Symphony Orchestra. There is NOTHING more EPIC than this.

Elder Scrolls III, IV and soon V (So awesome music in the trailer)

Fable I and II and III

Gears of War II

All the Halo games (Reach is especially great)

Killzone

Mass Effects

and now I am really tired of typing, there's some more if anyone wants

Alyxx,

That would be cool! Thanks, but I must go on my computer. Now im writing on my Ipod, so I doubt if it will works

Nobody mentioned Command & Conquer series?!? IMO some of the very finest were in that series!

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

I don't have a specific list, but the Mass Effect, Halo, and Dead Space series(es, whatever the plural of series is) all have some amazing soundtracks just to throw some contemporary games out there.

EDIT: How could i have forgotten Bioshock (both games) and Fallout 3?! Brutal Legend as well for that matter.

"That which you do not know, is not a moral charge against you; but that which you refuse to know, is an account of infamy growing in your soul. Make every allowance for errors of knowledge; do not forgive or accept any breach of morality."