Your First Game?

I know, I don't really do it anymore, but metroid prime 3 I kept skipping important people talking. So when they finished talking I realized I had no idea what I was supposed to do. I'm kind of a spaz during cutscenes or boring speaking parts.

You'd be bored to death with a game like The Longest Journey then. It has REALLY lengthy monologues.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

Don't get me wrong, I like good stories, but it takes away from the immersion when I have to sit through dialogue longer than a minute. There are exceptions, like ending cutscenes, but I personally like the valve style of story telling the best.

My first game was Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - one of my older cousins let me play it on his n64 when we visited - I was so excited when I got my own

Great game, but I must admit that I am a zelda fanboy. The first zelda game I played (and beat) was link's awakening DX.

Heh, I'm a bit younger than you guys... my first game was Croc 2 on the PS1, I still love that game. I must've spent 5 years as a child playing that game, just couldn't get past the stone age levels. I came back to it at 12 and finished the whole thing in a week, It was a bitter-sweet moment because it felt as if the game would never end , still, I have some great memories of my Dad and I playing together, it was a real special feeling to complete a level together.

I'm a Nintendo kid back in the 90's. My first games were the Super Mario Bros trilogy, the Contra Series and the first Metroid. brings back memories every time I play those titles now

First game... I'll list them based on the different consoles/computer models.

*CONSOLES*

Atari: Pong, and shortly thereafter, DigDug.

Channel F (Sears ripoff of the Atari): Tank Battle

NES: Super Mario Bros.

SNES: Super Mario Bros. 3.

Sega: Sonic the Hedgehog 1 & 2.

Sega Genesis: Was some sort of space shooter, bad GFX, but fun. Can't remember the name...

Sega Dreamcast: Can't remember the name, but was like the Super Smash Bros for Final Fantasy...

N64: Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire.

PS1: Looked like FF8, but the story didn't match, and it had better GFX. [EDIT] Just found out the name of it: Legend of Dragoon.

PS2: Can't remember... It was that memorable of an experience.

PS3: Reference the PS2 entry.

Xbox: Need for Speed: Underground, Halo.

Xbox 360: Lost Planet: Extreme Condition.

*COMPUTERS*

Apple IIC: Artillery Battle.

Apple IIE: Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

PC (80186): Solitare.

PC: (80286): A basic program my Dad made, Star Trek based, extremely fun and complex. (even by today's standards) Also did Silpheed.

PC (80386): Monster Truck Madness 2.

PC (80486): Hellbender.

PC (200MHz-750MHz processor speed): Command & Conquer. (the original, expansion, and Red Alert with it's expansions)

PC (751MHz-1.4GHz processor speed): Doom 3, Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2.

PC (Modern, Multi-core processors): Crysis, Half-life 2, World of Warcraft, Battlefield 2142, Star Wars: Empire At War, and Civilization 4. (all on first day, total game time: 3 hours)

(*No, I did not ever have a C64, though I've always wanted one... I've done emulators of it though, but that doesn't qualify for this IMO.*)

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

The 90s great times for gaming.

Nintendo revived the gaming industry from its downfall since the 1983 video game crash. The 90's games are the one that started it all

Yeah, wish Nintendo would get back into its old gaming style, I think the wii is just terrible

It's not that bad. When Wii was first revealed it was praised for its innovation and uniqueness, something that PS3 and 360 lacked at that time. Not that I'm a Wii fan, but you gotta give the japanese credit for their creativity.

Yeah, wish Nintendo would get back into its old gaming style, I think the wii is just terrible

I think the Wii is their most versatile console yet. With the Virtual Console service you can even play the old gaming style you're praising.

Not even close to versatile. Xbox has that market cornered with being able to install emulators, essentially allowing it to run every console game out there.

Besides, the original Xbox had better everything than the Wii. Better processor, better video card, better RAM, better disc drive...

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

I think the Wii is their most versatile console yet. With the Virtual Console service you can even play the old gaming style you're praising.

Not even close to versatile. Xbox has that market cornered with being able to install emulators, essentially allowing it to run every console game out there.

Besides, the original Xbox had better everything than the Wii. Better processor, better video card, better RAM, better disc drive...

For me the games matter more than the actual hardware specs. I bought a Wii so I could play the new Mario games, the Metroid trilogy and Other M, and use it to play some older Nintendo games on my TV as well. I don't really care if the XBox is more powerful. It doesn't really have any games that interests me. I use my PC for gaming most of the time anyway.

In terms of shere epicness, I don't think any of the new consoles can compete with the Super Nintendo in how classic it has become.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com