Video Game That Would Make Great Movies

Sign in to follow this  

List the top 10 video games that you think would make truly awesome movies. It's obvious Hollywood is running out of ideas, and if they were to take some video game plots and make it right, they could make extremely amazing movies. Here are my top 10 (not necessarily in order):

1. Bioshock -

Because of the overall story of the game, the fear aspect along with the human factor that the game is based off of this game I feel would make one of the best movies ever.

2. Amnesia: The Dark Descent -

It's a scary ass game, and would make an amazing psychological thriller movie. Enough said.

3. Dead Space -

Even though Pandorum was pretty good, I think Dead Space would make a decent movie, even though I didn't care for the gameplay

4. F.E.A.R. -

Excellent action packed game with a great story. Great villian who actually makes you pity her (Alma, and at least I felt bad for her and though what she was doing was justifiable)

5. The Mass Effect Series -

While putting the entire game into a movie could be quite boring, taking the universe and making a movie similar built on the same properties could be interesting.

6. Penumbra Series-

Essentially the same as Amnesia; scary, intense story, excellent movie idea.

7. Red Faction 1 -

Great story about miners on Mars rebelling against a tyrannical company forcing them into slave labor. Great.

8. Metro 2033 -

Post-nuclear apocalypse in Moscow's Metro system. Mutants, guns, Nazis, what more could you ask for?

9. Left 4 Dead -

I'm a huge zombie nut, and another great zombie movie is always welcome. Adding the special infected would add to the plot, and having 4 survivors based off those in the game would just prove to be nothing but pure badassery. While the game didn't have much of a plot, that can be compensated for in production.

10. Gears of War

While I hate jumping on video game bandwagons, I LOVED Gears of War. The plot, gameplay, everything was incredible. Sadly I don't own a 360, so I never got to play 2 and will not play 3 when it comes out (unless they change their mind on a pc conversion or unless I score a 360 for really cheap). I think it would make a great action movie.

These aren't necessarily in order. I'd like to hear what you guys have to say, what are your top 10? Remember gameplay doesn't equal movie material. That's why I left Half Life out of it simply because any movie would take away from who Gordon Freeman is. Same with Crysis, the nanosuit wouldn't be as awesome in a movie as in a game. So list your top 10 and reasons why.

A bioshock movie would be great indeed. I do remember reading something a while ago that the guy who directed Pirates of the Caribbean was going to make the bioshock movie, but now someone else is doing it.

But i disagree on 9. Left 4 dead really doesn't have a story and i don't think JUST zombie slaying wouldn't be something i would want to watch for 2 hours.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2. Amnesia: The Dark Descent -

It's a scary ass game, and would make an amazing psychological thriller movie. Enough said.

I totally agree with that, as long as the entire movie is in the first person camera angle, i think i would be ga ga over that

I think a Half-Life story line movie would be kick-ass.

It has been mentioned by Valve that if a Half-Life movie was ever made it would be made in source. (Like the "Meet the" character things for Team Fortress 2; Except not cartoony)

A Metro 2033 film done correctly would be brilliant...ah well, I can dream.

Feel free to PM me about almost anything and I'll do my best to answer. :)

"Beware of what you ask for, for it may come to pass..."

I think STALKER would make a great movie, also brothers in arms. Both I feel could be awesome, if done properly that is.

I think a Half-Life story line movie would be kick-ass.

Half-life story could make a movie but it would go against the Gordon character,who have an interactive personality since in-game he doesnt have a personality at all,Gordon can be anyone,a feature that increases the Role-Playing feeling and the gamer-game relationship,another game that uses this feature was Chrono Trigger.This is a really interesting feature for games,but it doesnt work for movies since every character must have a personality and stick to it, they would have to give Gordon a personality,this would screw the in-game feature and people would stop identifying themselves with the main character

The future of gaming lies in realistic simulations of extraordinary realities

"I am drunk, you dont have an excuse"

I am more interested in seeing a movie based on the Half Life universe and setting than Half Life itself.

I think if they did a Half Life movie it shouldn't be about Freeman, I think it should take the perspective of the rebels or even about the 7 hour war.

I am more interested in seeing a movie based on the Half Life universe and setting than Half Life itself.

I think if they did a Half Life movie it shouldn't be about Freeman, I think it should take the perspective of the rebels or even about the 7 hour war.

My point exactly.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

My point exactly.

Well, the premise for The Myst is very close to the Black Mesa Incident.

• For games that would make good movies (if done properly)
  • Clive Barker's Undying: the game is scary as hell.
  • Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers: it would make a great mystery/detective/horror movie.
  • Leyend of Zelda (Ocarina of Time, A link to the past, Twilight princess, it's all good): just because Zelda games rock.
  • The house of the dead: overkill : altough I think "Planet Terror" covered that one.
  • Silent Hill: shattered memories: with the proper treatment, it would make a very sad movie.
  • Septerra Core: Legacy of the Creator: just because I think the landscapes would be incredible.

I bring you mortal danger and cookies. Not necessarily in that order.

http://www.youtube.com/jclc

My point exactly.

The movie could be about alyx since she already have a pre-set personality and could end when she beats the metro police that knocked Gordon

The future of gaming lies in realistic simulations of extraordinary realities

"I am drunk, you dont have an excuse"

I would prefer it to be about the 7 hour war. I don't think the Half Life universe really explains it well. They just say Aliens attack and we lose in 7 hours.

I would prefer it to be about the 7 hour war. I don't think the Half Life universe really explains it well. They just say Aliens attack and we lose in 7 hours.

Even more, I'd like to see how the resistance started.

It seems like a bit of a grey area in the series.

Plus, we could still use Eli and Kliener and everyone, so there'd be no problem!

I HAVE to blow everything up! It's the only way to prove I'm not CRAZY!

The new Medal of Honor game (2010) would probly make a good movie... So would the Battlefield: Bad Company storyline.

Would be impossible to do, but I also think something like a World of Warcraft movie would be cool.

Of course, Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past would be totally awesome in movie form.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

In general I think that making movies based on games is unoriginal and a waste of resources. You can never translate a game experience to a movie and you will always end up taking artistic licenses that is SURE to piss off the fans of the game.

Agree. The best movie Hollywood ever did from a game was Prince of Persia: The sands of time, but even that movie has many flaws. Yet compared to the others, like that Hitman movie or that Max Payne movie, they are so excruciating to watch.