Freeman's Mind 2

I can only imagine that he would if the fans wished it so, as he has said before; I too wonder how Freeman will respond to the new and rather alien world he would find himself in, it is my opinion that Half Life 2 is a bit silly when compared to Half Life 1, which has a more serious tone, the Combine are quite silly and weak when compared to the Xen creatures and HECU Marines, it may be because the weapons in Half Life 2 are rather cartoon-like, unlike the robust military equipment, humorous yet frightening biological weapons, and advanced scientific devices of Half Life 1.

Although I must seem like a critic, I would not be adverse to a Freeman's Mind 2, quite the opposite, but I do not think I will like it more than Freeman's Mind, but only time, and Ross Scott's talent, will tell.

I have to agree about Half Life 2 being silly.

In fact I would go so far as to say unrealistic.

I was swimming through a tunnel full of water as usual, except this time the combine kicked a bunch of explosive barrels in the water as I surfaced. I panicked and tried to get out of the water and find cover. I was expecting the concussion to transfer through the water gel my organs or something similarly horrible. I realized I couldn't get out of the way in time, so I dived to see the nice gory fireworks. I was totally unharmed by the blast.

Oh yes, because Eli getting impaled by a Combine Advisor is so silly. I get what you're saying, but I have to respectfully disagree. Half Life 2 has silly moments in it, such as playing catch with Dog, but can you really say the original was this dark and literal game that took itself seriously? A game where scientists would just openly state, "Do you know who ate all the donuts?" during a situation that could kill them. A game where your final boss is a giant aborted fetus alien. What about the stupidity of scientists that would be so foolish as to willingly crawl into vents with fan blades in them? Now I'm not saying it didn't have serious moments in them, I'd say the ending with G-Man was pretty cool (and a little creepy) and the really freaky part where you see, as Freeman says, a 'twitching dead guy in a strobe light' I'm just saying Half Life 2 took itself more seriously, and it shows. The guns are far from cartoonish, they were futuristic, you're in the 2020s, of course they're going to look wierd compared to the modern day military equipment. And about the 'unrealistic' part where you thought the blast explosion through the water would kill you, it's a videogame. The same would happen in the original if Valve put that same thing in. You have a life bar for a reason.

Now, once the Black Mesa mod comes out and we're comparing Half Life 2 to that, I'd change my opinion slightly, only in favor of Black Mesa because it looks really dark and looks like it takes itself a LOT more seriously. But as it stands, Half Life 2 is serious and realistic (though getting dropped from a far height in a car by a magnet crane is still up to debate) It's just futuristic. It's like saying Dead Space wasn't scary because Issac Clark looked like a cyber hockey goalie.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Kaweebo/

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones."

VALVE: "Sometimes bugs take more than eighteen years to fix."

I can only imagine that he would if the fans wished it so, as he has said before; I too wonder how Freeman will respond to the new and rather alien world he would find himself in, it is my opinion that Half Life 2 is a bit silly when compared to Half Life 1, which has a more serious tone, the Combine are quite silly and weak when compared to the Xen creatures and HECU Marines, it may be because the weapons in Half Life 2 are rather cartoon-like, unlike the robust military equipment, humorous yet frightening biological weapons, and advanced scientific devices of Half Life 1.

Although I must seem like a critic, I would not be adverse to a Freeman's Mind 2, quite the opposite, but I do not think I will like it more than Freeman's Mind, but only time, and Ross Scott's talent, will tell.

I have to agree about Half Life 2 being silly.

In fact I would go so far as to say unrealistic.

I was swimming through a tunnel full of water as usual, except this time the combine kicked a bunch of explosive barrels in the water as I surfaced. I panicked and tried to get out of the water and find cover. I was expecting the concussion to transfer through the water gel my organs or something similarly horrible. I realized I couldn't get out of the way in time, so I dived to see the nice gory fireworks. I was totally unharmed by the blast.

Oh yes, because Eli getting impaled by a Combine Advisor is so silly. I get what you're saying, but I have to respectfully disagree. Half Life 2 has silly moments in it, such as playing catch with Dog, but can you really say the original was this dark and literal game that took itself seriously? A game where scientists would just openly state, "Do you know who ate all the donuts?" during a situation that could kill them. A game where your final boss is a giant aborted fetus alien. What about the stupidity of scientists that would be so foolish as to willingly crawl into vents with fan blades in them? Now I'm not saying it didn't have serious moments in them, I'd say the ending with G-Man was pretty cool (and a little creepy) and the really freaky part where you see, as Freeman says, a 'twitching dead guy in a strobe light' I'm just saying Half Life 2 took itself more seriously, and it shows. The guns are far from cartoonish, they were futuristic, you're in the 2020s, of course they're going to look wierd compared to the modern day military equipment. And about the 'unrealistic' part where you thought the blast explosion through the water would kill you, it's a videogame. The same would happen in the original if Valve put that same thing in. You have a life bar for a reason.

Now, once the Black Mesa mod comes out and we're comparing Half Life 2 to that, I'd change my opinion slightly, only in favor of Black Mesa because it looks really dark and looks like it takes itself a LOT more seriously. But as it stands, Half Life 2 is serious and realistic (though getting dropped from a far height in a car by a magnet crane is still up to debate) It's just futuristic. It's like saying Dead Space wasn't scary because Issac Clark looked like a cyber hockey goalie.

It's just that the guns, enemies, and the setting are really strange. The weapons look like nerf blasters and (at least the 9mm Pistol) sounds like a toy, while the AR2 and SMG are extremely weak in the hands of anyone other than the player aiming for the head and instakilling everything. The Combine, for all their advanced military surgery, are for some reason a lot weaker and a lot less accurate than Rebels, which is guess is for gameplay, but it is silly that they can't even hit you from 50ft away.

^ Couldn't you just quote his last post? We don't really need the quotes of previously posted comments taking up a quarter of the page...

Myself I'm not stating that the original half life is completely serious. I'm merely agreeing with the point that Half-Life 2 isn't particularly serious. Though obviously it could look a lot like I'm agreeing with the other points in the post.

Anyhow;

I'd say arguably surviving a high power blast in an underwater environment cant really be excused by 'it's a video game'. You usually die if you fall off of a massive cliff in that sort of game. You usually die if a bomb goes off next to you. It's not much of a stretch to have blasts effecting a larger area underwater. Therefore the game is unrealistic and somewhat silly at the same time.

Also the guns could be more realistic, as well as the soldiers. I mean really, it seems to me that as Vlazkov stated the miracle of combine surgery could at the least make soldiers that would make mincemeat of armed and or lightly trained civilians. They could also probably manage to go beyond ad hoc burst fire on their automatic weapons. In relation to the silly guns, the combine blaster doesn't look very functional. It has all these weird lumps of metal sticking out that don't look like they really have much to do, then this tiny little pellet that it uses as some kind of battery. Though I have to say I get a real kick out of using that thing. The pistol and the SMG? or whatever it is seem fairly realistic to me though, probably because I can successfully identify the parts and what they do.

Edited for weapon labeling clarity, I haven't seen the weapon names stated outright before, so it gets confusing.

Not necessarily. I doubt it'd be much fun if everything killed you instantly like that. I wouldn't like the game much if I died because someone killed in all of 2 hits, and either way, this may be because I've never experienced it, but I don't know if the explosion would send 'death ripples' plunging towards you in the water.

About the Combine soldiers, they're taking several hits by an assault rifle, I doubt just because they were extensively modified they'd be able to withstand more than at least a magazine. It seems like most of these complaints about it being unrealistic come from the gameplay, which I'm gonna have to go back to, it's a game. And it wouldn't be such a fun game if you and everything else died in one hit. (though I personally use console commands to make all my weapons stronger) As for weapons being unrealistic, I can only say that it must be a design choice. I mean, the gun with all the metal things sticking out shoot bullets out of them. They're shooting out of all three of those things, clearly making it a more powerful gun. It also carries a ball that disentigrates people, if that's not futuristic I don't know what is. Like I said, I can see your point, but if it's really that big a deal, there's always console commands.

There has to be a compromise between realism and fun, a game that is too

realistic wouldn't be fun to play, only if you don't like simulations of course.

I'm sure the under water explosion stuff is such a compromise.

Well and the silly looking weapons. Yeah, to us as humans who build such

kind of weapons they seem to look stupid. But the combine change the

technology of the occupied world/dimension and merge them with their own.

Their own in itself alone wouldn't survive in different worlds/dimensions, they

have to use local technology to an extend.

The heavy rifle is obviously such a merged abomination and maybe all the extra

lumps of metal do have a purpose, we just don't know the technology behind it?

For someone who doesn't know the weapon-technology, an M16A4 with laserpointer,

flashlight, supressor, heat deflectors, a forgrip and a reddot sight might look like

a ugly rod with chunks of metal on it too. :P

You should make a season 2 of freemans mind with Half-life:2. Then continue from there! :D

You should make a season 2 of freemans mind with Half-life:2. Then continue from there! :D

Don't you think it's a bit too soon, as I find that Ross wants to progress in chronological order (being the best suitable choice). And besides, he's barely through the half-way point of HL. There would be no point until FM is finished with Half-Life.

In the future, maybe... We'll just have to see.

"I tell you one thing: I've been to a parallel universe, I've seen time running backwards, I've played pool with planets, and I've given birth to twins, but I never thought in my entire life I'd taste an edible Pot Noodle."

Don't you think it's a bit too soon, as I find that Ross wants to progress in chronological order (being the best suitable choice). And besides, he's barely through the half-way point of HL. There would be no point until FM is finished with Half-Life.

In the future, maybe... We'll just have to see.

Oh yeah im talking when hes done with HL:1(Season 1)

You mean the youtube playlist right? I assume Machinma handles that.

"That which you do not know, is not a moral charge against you; but that which you refuse to know, is an account of infamy growing in your soul. Make every allowance for errors of knowledge; do not forgive or accept any breach of morality."

It's just that the guns, enemies, and the setting are really strange. The weapons look like nerf blasters and (at least the 9mm Pistol) sounds like a toy, while the AR2 and SMG are extremely weak in the hands of anyone other than the player aiming for the head and instakilling everything. The Combine, for all their advanced military surgery, are for some reason a lot weaker and a lot less accurate than Rebels, which is guess is for gameplay, but it is silly that they can't even hit you from 50ft away.

With the exception of stuff like the rocket launcher, the pulse rifle and the GravGun, all the weapons are real ones. The HK USP Match and MP7, the Franchi Spas-12 shotgun, the revolver, those are all realistic.

if he did get more serious it may not be as funny but he could also hire some one to be alyxx in 2 player

if he did get more serious it may not be as funny but he could also hire some one to be alyxx in 2 player

Nah that wouldn't go with the 'feel' of Freeman's Mind. He hears but basically ignores everyone and just stumbles upon the solution on his own.